Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is height increase ever gonna be possible?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

As the title says, is height increase ever gonna be possible? I know it already is, but I mean in a painless and non-invasive way, like for instance taking meds or stem cells that somehow make you grow taller naturally over a period of time. Do you guys think it will be possible in my lifetime (and for people who aren't rich like myself)? I'm currently 20 years old. And I'm only 5'5, which is a joke for a guy. :/ So people who know about science, technology and shit, please give me hope that this could be a reality in the not-so-distant future haha. Thanks in advance!

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,106 posts
  • LocationLondon

With sufficient knowledge of genetics, anything should be possible in the future. I suspect what you're describing will take longer than 50 years, though.

Also - shorter people tend to live longer, so you might want to bear that in mind. :) In one of Kim Stanley Robinson's novels (2312, if I recall correctly), there are people who've turned themselves into dwarves to extend their lifespan. :)

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

50 years?! Man that is crazy, it wouldn't even happen for me because at 70 I'd probably be considered too old for this kind of treatment, and besides I'd have to live 50 years like this! :( Even if short people live longer, it's probably a difference of just 1-2 years, which won't help at all. I'd rather live 80 years being tall or at least average than 82 being short.

pangaea

pangaea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Not sure why anyone would want to be taller. But it could be possible in the future to alter yourself through something like a character customization screen.

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
Smaller people retain body heat better than taller people so a really tall person would get much colder much faster than you. Fucking knowledge.

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

You can get Distraction Osteogenesis (https://en.wikipedia...on_osteogenesis), whereby selected mones are fractured and gradually moved apart, such that new bone forms between the two segments of old bone. Specifically, for height increases, this can be performed on your legs and has been known to offer height increases of as much as 6" (but 7cm - 2.8", is accepted as typical and is a far less dangerous/cheap/more realistic target to aim for). It's unlikely that the increase in height will justify the means (of course, that is your judgement to make) due to expenses, inability to walk unaided for several months (requiring a wheelchair for the first couple, limiting your ability to work) etc..

Unless this causes you sufficient stress, you are likely to be rejected by many good surgeons. You may be required to undergo a psychological screening first, for a surgical procedure like this, with the potential for rejection because the psychologist thinks it will solve little to nothing. Also, if too much of a leg length increase is achieved, you risk having an unfavourable ratio of leg length:body length (I don't know what you look like and, again, it's up to you - a moderate leg length increase would probably not put you at anywhere close to a significant risk of this).

There are potentially other methods (that work - there are probably plenty of quacks who will sell you false hope for easy money with something like this, so do be vigilant) that you can get safely - if it causes you sufficient stress and a doctor deems it okay, you may be able to get prescriptions of human somatotropin (growth hormone), but I don't know much about this so I don't want to give advice on this.

If it helps, then you can dress/style in a way that makes you look slightly taller. This is pretty helpful (I could list multiple tips, but they would take up too much room and are largely covered by this anyway): http://www.wikihow.com/Look-Taller

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Thanks for your answers, guys! Well I think most short people would want to be taller, not necessarily very tall but average, why wouldn't they? At least I do, because right now I basically look like a kid, and therefore I'm often treated as such. People don't take me seriously. It's more difficult for short people to get a job, or a girlfriend for those who are into them. All in all, tall people just have it easier, better, and I don't think "being able to retain body heat better than taller people" is worth anything. It's a joke of an "advantage" just like it is to live a 1 or 2 years longer. 

Thaizasaskand, that's why I said non-invasive procedure, 'cause I know it is possible already to increase height but as you said, it's very expensive and painful and complicated, difficult to be accepted for the procedure, and overall I doubt it's worth it. That link you posted is very helpful though, thanks! I wear baggy clothes and I am not very confident when talking to people so that probably doesn't help me look taller lol.

I guess what I wanted to know is when this hypothetical non-invasive procedure would become available for me, but I realize now that you guys can't give me false hope. It won't happen in my lifetime, I get it. I'm usually very depressed over my height, but I really can't change it. At least I'm glad to know that it WILL be possible, someday. Even if I never get to see it.I so wish I had been born next century. :( 

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

I don't think "being able to retain body heat better than taller people" is worth anything.

You'd change your tune if you fell off a boat and into a lake in 40-degree weather :p

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Sorry, JesseBrandon, forgot about the non-invasive but when writing that, haha. Sorry to hear that you are discriminated against for this, also.

While I think of it: you could potentially improve your posture to look taller - by standing up straight and 'correctly' (not really sure what word to use), you may look slightly taller than when slouching. Also, increasing the size of your muscles may compensate slightly for the height when it comes to discrimination (but I'm guessing this to be honest and looking bigger in that way may not be to your taste).

Could a lack of confidence resulting from below-average height also be an impediment (i.e. people will take you less seriously as a result of this in certain occupations/situations)? If so, would working to improve this help (sorry, I can't be any less vague about how at the moment)?

Bubble99

Bubble99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

I don't think "being able to retain body heat better than taller people" is worth anything.

You'd change your tune if you fell off a boat and into a lake in 40-degree weather :p

I come from tall family of 6 feet tall family and 6.1 :wild: :wild: !!  We keep the heat turn up 80 degrees and people always complain it too hot in the house.

In summer the AC is hardly on.

Sure feels nice in high 80 degrees and 90 degrees weather in the summer when all the other people are complaining it is too hot.

Bubble99

Bubble99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

As the title says, is height increase ever gonna be possible? I know it already is, but I mean in a painless and non-invasive way, like for instance taking meds or stem cells that somehow make you grow taller naturally over a period of time. Do you guys think it will be possible in my lifetime (and for people who aren't rich like myself)? I'm currently 20 years old. And I'm only 5'5, which is a joke for a guy. :/ So people who know about science, technology and shit, please give me hope that this could be a reality in the not-so-distant future haha. Thanks in advance!

Besides surgery or hormones not much can be done.

In the future stem cell may help.

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Sorry, JesseBrandon, forgot about the non-invasive but when writing that, haha. Sorry to hear that you are discriminated against for this, also.

While I think of it: you could potentially improve your posture to look taller - by standing up straight and 'correctly' (not really sure what word to use), you may look slightly taller than when slouching. Also, increasing the size of your muscles may compensate slightly for the height when it comes to discrimination (but I'm guessing this to be honest and looking bigger in that way may not be to your taste).

Could a lack of confidence resulting from below-average height also be an impediment (i.e. people will take you less seriously as a result of this in certain occupations/situations)? If so, would working to improve this help (sorry, I can't be any less vague about how at the moment)?

Sorry for the delayed response! I'm gonna start going to the gym to gain muscle mass this January so I hope that helps a little to look taller, and also I'm trying to improve my posture and work on my confidence (it certainly is an impediment, I think people don't take me seriously for this reason too, I'm quite shy and introverted), but the thing is, even with all this, it will only make me LOOK taller. I won't actually be any taller. I'm ridiculously short, and the fact that I can't do anything about it gets me down, it's a constant reminder when I look at people in the street or on TV and see that almost all of them are taller than me. It's so damn frustrating.

Besides surgery or hormones not much can be done.

In the future stem cell may help.

I don't know much about stem cells but hopefully you're right and they can help. I need a little hope that I am not doomed forever. :/

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

^Haha, it's fine about long response time. Sorry I couldn't be any more help; I guess that you just have to make the best of what you have here. Anyway, best of luck to you! :)

[You could get extra work in a warehouse over the weekend haha - I've gained muscle doing that, albeit unintentionally (though my tummy is a bit flatter, so I guess something good came out of it. Plus, I enjoy my part-time job). That said about muscle, I'm 1.74m (~5' 9.5") and would actually like to be a bit more petite, though at least I'm more toned now (better, since I've remained a healthy mass so slightly slimmer) and height is not much of an issue for me - more interested in permanent body hair reduction haha.]

[[My brain doesn't really work well when I'm as sleep deprived as I am now.]]

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

^Haha, it's fine about long response time. Sorry I couldn't be any more help; I guess that you just have to make the best of what you have here. Anyway, best of luck to you! :)

[You could get extra work in a warehouse over the weekend haha - I've gained muscle doing that, albeit unintentionally (though my tummy is a bit flatter, so I guess something good came out of it. Plus, I enjoy my part-time job). That said about muscle, I'm 1.74m (~5' 9.5") and would actually like to be a bit more petite, though at least I'm more toned now (better, since I've remained a healthy mass so slightly slimmer) and height is not much of an issue for me - more interested in permanent body hair reduction haha.]

[[My brain doesn't really work well when I'm as sleep deprived as I am now.]]

Nah no problem, you've helped a lot ^^ Thanks man. 5'9... I'm so envious lol. If only I could get a job, I wouldn't even mind working long hours in a warehouse tbh, besides gaining muscle doing it is a welcomed bonus lol. Why would you want body hair reduction? Everyone is hairy anyway, I definitely am xD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users