Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My new, improved timeline of the future

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

sorry dont mind me, just a guy who comes here occasionally to talk science, write a bit of fiction and generally discuss future shtuff. please continue with the timeline. im rather enjoying the predictions. though im hoping mind uploading comes earlier than predicted here.

I remember you! Though I thought you did't like mind uploading, considering your member title. Anyway, here's 2200 to 2209...

2200 to 2209

2200. After more than a century of the space population doubling every ten years—leading to over half a billion people living in space—the doubling rate is beginning to rise significantly. Overall, the space population will multiply only about fivefold over the coming century.

2200. Some scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs are choosing to work in "innovator networks", decentralized, loosely-shifting groups of people that function as an alternative to traditional companies. While this means that they get all the profit from their innovations, there are obvious drawbacks. Innovator networks lack both the stability and the resources of traditional corporations; by 2016 standards, they would typically only have a few million dollars at their disposal. On the other hand, even small corporations of 2200 have the equivalent of billions of dollars, and larger ones have trillions or even quadrillions. Notably, as corporations have grown wealthier in the past two centuries, their initiatives have grown far larger, both in terms of time and scale. For instance, the terraforming of Mars and the expeditions to Alpha Centauri and Tau Ceti were all corporate ventures, and companies of the 23rd century tend to think on scales of decades and centuries, not months and years.

2201. Bernard Aykay is elected to the Interplanetary Council as one of the three Martian Councellors. At just 24 years old, he is the youngest IPC member in history and is extremely popular, especially among Martians. Behind this facade, though, he is a dangerous Martian seperatist, who will prove to be orders of magnitude more destructive than Lithia Johnson from the 2120s and 2130s.

2202. On Terra, the Global Space Exploration Commission and Orbitspace Industries begin upgrading the three Terran space elevators, which are now over a century old. The old carbon nanotube core structure is augmented with newer materials created in the 22nd century. The number of capsules per elevator is also doubled, as is the speed of the capsules, quadrupling the traffic capacity and thus cheapening space elevator travel further.

2203. The first-ever rainstorm occurs on Mars, near the equator. This is seen by many as a sign that the hard part of terraforming is nearly finished. A few people caught in the rain even (briefly) ditch their oxygen masks in celebration at this very Terra-like weather.

2204. Councellor Aykay begins subtly directing space pirates to attack major interplanetary shipping lines between the inner Solar System and the outer Solar System. While this is nearly impossible for most people to do with any great degree of success, his extremely high position in the government combined with his psychic powers (really extremely powerful intuition thanks to transhumanism, of course, but it'd seem like psychic powers to an observer from today per Clarke's third law) allows him to cause noticable damage to the economy. This serves to weaken the Terrans and also provides him with the resources to build his Martian seperatist army.

2205. Industrial spies under the leadership of Councellor Aykay get their hands on replicator technology and release it to the entire Solar System. Exactly as intended, this triggers the Commodity Crisis, an economic crash that will last for decades. The replicators drastically reduce the value of a huge variety of commodities (hence the name), destroying nearly half the economy and putting billions out of work. Obviously, this greatly weakens Terran ability to counter Aykay's plans, which was the point.

2207. The first plants are being introduced to Luna. Like when the first plants were placed on Mars, these are mostly genetically engineered mosses and lichens that will increase the concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere, eventually allowing for larger plants and animals, including humans, to venture outside without protection.

2208*. The first major innovation in the field of gravity control is made, with the invention of artificial gravity. A number of major space stations and interplanetary spacecraft are fitted with gravity plating, meaning that they no longer have to spin in order to have gravity.

2209. Aykay's power continues to grow, and even the IPC itself seems to always go along with his plans, almost as if they were being controlled in some way. When Aykay declares war on Terra with the intent of "liberating every world in the Solar System from Terran oppression"—and the entire IPC backs him (along with about ten million Martian seperatists)—the alarmed IPAF declares the IPC compromized and initiates Solar System wide martial law. To make matters worse, a Warlock Force operation intended to take out Aykay fails (in part due to his own psychic powers and combat skills), and ends up with the Warlocks' existence being revealed to the public, causing much fear and suspicion.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

nice job in using the new bad guy but it seems to me that he is like emperor palpatine but that may just be me if I just hope you don't make it the same as star wars but keep it up and add MORRE.by star wars  I mean the movie the phantom menace to revenge of the sith try not to add much from those or something like a death star  cus that seems cheap to me add what u want im just adding my 2 cents do what u want I will like it either way I have so far despite not adding much that I ask you to put in this very well done

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

sorry dont mind me, just a guy who comes here occasionally to talk science, write a bit of fiction and generally discuss future shtuff. please continue with the timeline. im rather enjoying the predictions. though im hoping mind uploading comes earlier than predicted here.

I remember you! Though I thought you did't like mind uploading, considering your member title. Anyway, here's 2200 to 2209...

I still dont, but I hate the thought of dying one day more. And I kinda figured out I wasnt completely opposed so much as opposed to someof the methods or means to achieve it. You can simultaneously destroy the original and recreate the same person elsewhere but the original will still die. You could copy a mind to a machine when you intended to leave the copy in the original host but how do you know the originals in the machine? or the copy isnt? The trick is to do it slowly, gradually opening the mind to the web, seeing, feeling and living in it, feeeling it course through you until every piece of you i there and you no longer control the lump of meat in the room behind you.

So in the end I realised I wasnt opposed to the act, just the fact that some of the ways it would be achieved would kill the original me which is what im trying to save, not have my name live on in that of a copy while I still die.

I will instigate the singularity!

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

2210 to 2219

The 2210s are a dark decade in humanity's history, probably the darkest since the 21st century. Not only is the Second Martian Seperatist War in full swing, but so is the largest economic collapse in over a century, the Commodity Crisis. But there are high points, like the first colonization of the Alpha Centauri system.

2210. A new generation, the Dark Generation (2210 to 2235) is beginning. They are so-named because they are being born in a time of great chaos and destruction, with the deadly Martian seperatist Bernard Aykay wreaking havoc throughout the Solar System.

2210. Unaffected by the chaos in the Solar System, the ISS Unity arrives at Planet Apollo in the Alpha Centauri system. Apollo is a rugged, cold world with craggy mountain ranges and carbon dioxide "snow". But over a several-week timespan, a series of ferries carry the passengers down to the surface. The first mines are quickly established, and the first refined metals, first buildings, and first vertical farms come shortly afterwards. By this point, everyone has come down to the surface, creating a bustling town of 25,000 people and androids in a valley in the Aldrin Range; the town is named Outpost. A few months later, the first people to be born beyond the Solar System are synthesized. These are the first children who will grow up in the light of an orange star, not a yellow one.

2211. Mercury is becoming something to be reckoned with on the interplanetary stage. It has seen relatively few attacks thus far during the Second Martian Seperatist War, and has not been as devastated by the Commodity Crisis as some worlds, beacuse its largest industry is solar power, something that cannot be provided by molecular assemblers. Mercury's population is a fairly respectable 4 million (the fifth most populous world in the Solar System) and its largest city, Gray City, has a population of 100,000. The planet is also used as a platform for solar research, and it is hoped that someday starlifting initiatives can be done from there.

2212. With the Commodity Crisis in full swing, unemployment rates are skyrocketing, and with it, chaos and crime are rising to levels unseen since the 2060s. The IPAF, already over-taxed by interplanetary combat finds it difficult to control this.

2213. The IPAF reduces the age of majority to 15 throughout the Solar System (and in Outpost). This is done as a desperate measure to gain more forces in the fight against Aykay, who seems to be nearly invincible. Indeed, people of all ages are flocking to join the IPAF, as this is one of the few places that provides a steady and reliable job by this point.

2215. The second half of the 2210s are the lowest point in the Second Martian Seperatist War. IPAF forces have been driven almost entirely off Mars, and trade between the inner and outer Solar System is virtually nonexistent. Spaceports on Luna—where many IPAF establishments are located—are taking a serious beating. Aykay has proven to be a highly innovative commander and a master of interplanetary warfare, and worse, thousands of people throughout the government appear to be under his control. Worse still, Aykay keeps mysteriously reappearing despite having been assassinated multiple times.

2216. A team of researchers from Mercury establish a permanent manned presence on the surface of Venus. Not many people are there, only about 50 or so at any one time, and they are not colonists. Most are scientists or corporate engineers interested in terraforming prospects; these people generally only remain on Venus for a few months or years before returning to the friendlier environment of Mercury.

2217. Mind dowloading has become considerably cheaper in recent years, to the point where most people can download information directly into their brains on a regular basis. Although this is highly useful among researchers and students, criminals are also making use of it by hiding their plans outside their brains to evade the RIA and its brain scanners.

2218. IPAF forces at last discover the key to Aykay's power. In two words: mind uploading. He keeps surviving death because he uploads his mind into a clone of himself whenever he is killed. He has even overwritten the minds of an estimated several thousand government officials with his own mind, explaining his success thus far. There is not just one Bernard Aykay; there are thousands. Once this secret is figured out, the Warlock Force manages to begin infiltrating and destroying his mind uploading facilities, and purging the government of mindhacked officials.

2219. Forcefield technology has improved to the point where forcefield suits are capable of retaining their power for many hours. This means that their limiting factor is that the air contained within eventually runs out. Forcefields have also cheapened considerably, to the point that the IPAF is making forcefield suits standard issue armor. Many tanks and other military vehicles and even a few military spacecraft are also being equipped with forcefields, reducing the weight of armoring significantly. The proliferation of forcefields on the battlefield changes military tactics significantly in the coming years. (No, this does not mean bladed weapons, because this timeline is still not Dune or PRAXIS.)

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

very well not doing =a star wars knock off now do moore

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

2220 to 2229

By this decade, the worst of the Second Martian Seperatist War and the Commodity Crisis are over. Meanwhile, one of the greatest innovations in the history of mankind is invented: superluminal travel. Without it, mankind may well have been doomed to never advance beyond a handful of stars. But with it, it will be possible to, over the next several thousand years, conquer the galaxy and more.

2220. The first large animals and plants are being introduced to Mars, as the average temperature has now climbed up to 25 Fahrenheit. The plants mainly consist of grasses and small, hardy bushes, while the animals include various genetically modified insects, small mammals, and "Mars cats", an entirely synthetic catlike species. Meanwhile, the first stable, non-frozen lakes and streams are forming near the equator.

2222. Plasma containers have advanced in versatility, allowing for intersting new weapons to be devised. One of these is the plasma whip, which contains plasma within an electromagnetic field that can change shape and size at the direction of the user (within reason). For instance, from its default form (straight and about one foot long), the plasma whip could almost instantly extend out to thirty feet, or even split into branches, incinerating multiple objects at once. Essentially, a telepathically controlled shapeshifting lightsaber. Obviously, this is invaluable in close combat situations. There are also numerous peaceful applications for shapeshifting plasma, such as in the still-faltering mining industry.

2223. The worst of the Commodity Crisis is over. The surviving companies are beginning to work out ways to remain in business and regain their lost money. As a result, unemployment and crime are beginning to go down, allowing the IPAF to focus all their efforts on destroying Aykay. The SSTC begins tentatively sending cargo ships to and from the outer Solar System again, something which Aykay, being firmly on the defensive now, has difficulty preventing.

2223. Antimatter power is making inroads across the Solar System. The World Energy Corporation begins constructing a few dozen antimatter power plants on Terra, Luna, and Mercury. While considerably more expensive to construct and operate than conventional fusion plants, they also provide an order of magnitude more energy, and recent innovations such as forcefields make it easier to keep antimatter safely contained.

2224. Computers as we know them are slowly beginning to disappear from everyday life. Some components—though not yet all components—of a typical computer are being stored in a person's brain implant instead. A typical transhuman or android in the second quarter of the 23rd century may carry around a storage unit—often a cube about two or three inches on a side—that is linked to a processing unit in their brain. Essentially, humans themselves are slowly starting to become part of the webnets. This trend does not apply to organics (non-cyborgs) nor does it apply to larger governmental, corporate, and scientific supercompuers, which, well, still resemble supercomputers.

2225. A new subculture of androids, calling themselves biodroids, is beginning. In a way, they are the opposite of transhumans. Where transhumans are organic humans who have augmented themselves with some inorganic components, biodroids are androids who have some organic components. In censuses, however, biodroids are generally counted as androids.

2226. Researchers on Posiedon-I discover the secret to faster-than-light travel in the form of wormhole transport. Such travel does not violate the theory of relativity, because it involves reducing the distance between two points—i.e. taking a shortcut—instead of actaully increasing the speed to beyond that of light. The β2.4E+14 ($500 trillion) Shortcut missions are planned, with the first phase, Shortcut 1, launching in this year.

2227*. The Shortcut 1, the first and by far the most expensive phase of the Shortcut mission is carried out. In the inner reaches of the Oort Cloud—far away from anything, in case something should go wrong—the mission's scientists begin building a wormhole from the Solar System to the Alpha Centauri system. There is some nervousness among the scientists: the chance of the project failing and showering both systems with deadly radiation has been calculated at three in a billion. Nevertheless, the wormhole is generated successfully. The resulting explosion is larger than any bomb ever built by humans and a lot of radiation is released, but these results were expected (that's why they did it out in the Oort Cloud), and nobody was killed or otherwise harmed. When the proverbial dust settles, the unmanned Shortcut 2 is launched into the wormhole. A mere 18 hours later, it successfully arrives in the Alpha Centauri system. Faster-than-light travel has been invented.

2228. Bernard Aykay is taken out. It was far from easy—it took two decades, an interplanetary war with 80 million deaths, and a final epic-scale operation with an army of RIA operatives and Warlocks destroying the last of his mind uploading facilities and finally the man himself. But it was done. And without their psychic, mindhacking leader, the Martian seperatists fell within a few months. The Solar System is once again unified, and a new Interplanetary Council is elected. But it will take decades to clean up the mess—both physical and psychological—left by the war.

2229. Following the success of the first two Shortcut missions, the final mission, the Shortcut 3, is launched. This one, unlike the others, is manned and carries ten thousand people to the planet Apollo. These new colonists settle a hundred miles from Outpost on Arien's Plain, which is at a lower elevation and thus somewhat warmer, but still a frigid minus 60 Celsius on average. Terraforming will definitely need to be considered once the planet's population is larger.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

more and nice anser to warp and shuldent the ships tht can get warp have some way of evacing thare crew if something gose rong like are u guna do some form of teleporting  

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

or keep suspended animation

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

I guess I should clear a couple of things up about wormholes. First of all, they aren't "warp"-anything. Spacecraft (and anything else; in principle even an astronaut in a spacesuit could enter one) still travel at sub-light velocities; they're just drastically reducing the distance they need to cover. Secondly, you can't use wormholes to travel from anywhere to anywhere; the whole thing only works if there's existing infrastructure. If you want to go somewhere at and there is no wormhole, you either need to build one, or take the long way around through normal space. But anyway...

2230 to 2239

This decade marks the beginning of a time of watchfulnsss and militarism that will continue for decades, thanks to the chaos and destruction caused by the Martian seperatists.

2230. Following the death of Bernard Aykay, an era of military-mindedness and paranoia settles over the Solar System, with many people fearing that he or an even more dangerous criminal will return. Membership in the IPAF skyrockets during the next few years.

2230*. The newly restored interplanetary government considers the matter of what to do with the men, women, and androids who were instrumental in helping Aykay rise to power. The Caloris Trials are held on the Mercurian city by that name, resulting several dozen executions. Hundreds of others are sentenced to various sentences in the Alpha Centauri system, where an ultra-maximum security prison is under construction on the harsh lava planet Alpha Centauri Bc, henceforth known as Gorgoroth [name=tolkien reference].

2231. Mind uploading, and the resulting advances in psychology, have sent mental illness the way of physical illness, into virtual nonexistence. Of course, this does not apply to the Luddite Reservations, where there is no mind uploading.

2232. A billion people now reside on the various non-Terran worlds that humans have colonized. More than 20 worlds have been colonized, and another ten or so have a regular human presence. The most heavily populated world continues to be Mars, with a population of 470 million, while Luna has 410 million. The Jovian moons have about 40 million people, as do the Saturnian moons. Mercury has 12 million, the Uranian and Neptunian systems have about 9 million people each. The Asteroid Belt has 6 million, and the Kuiper Belt, another 4 million. Of course, Terra itself still dominates, with its population of 18.5 billion, and will dominate for centuries to come.

2232. Mind dowloading capabilities have improved in recent years. Now, it is not only possible to download information into one's mind; it is possible to download skills and even memories as well. Mind downloading has also continued to become steadily cheaper.

2234. The chaos caused by the Martian seperatists teaches humanity an important lesson: never again must it be unable to defend itself on an interplanetary scale. The next enemy to come along may well be an advanced alien civilization orders of magnitude more dangerous than Aykay. With this in mind, a companion force to the IPAF is created: the Interplanetary Space Force, or IPSF. Construction begins on a fleet of military spacecraft designed specifically with interplanetary capabilities in mind.

2235. With the dark times over, a new generation, called the Soldier Generation (2235 to 2260) is beginning. These people will have a special devotion to military values and a desire to help defend humanity against further threats. As a result, a great many will join the IPAF or IPSF when they turn 15, though the militaristic mindset will be present even among many civilians of this generation.

2236. The first shapeshifting arcologies are showing up on Terra, to compliment the shapeshifting technology inside individual apartments in those arcologies. These buildings are up to three miles high and are often built in ways that would be impossible with the materials and engineering techniques of two centuries ago.

2237. Terraforming on Mars and Luna is progressing to the extent that Terra-like weather is becoming more and more common. To control this weather, the first weather control satellites are put into orbit around the two worlds, much like the Terran weather control satellites.

2238. The new IPSF fleet is finished. The flagships of the project are the five Supernova-class Motherships. At about four kilometers (2.5 miles) in length, each one is designed to hold 5000 to 7000 Space Marines and another 400 to 600 IPSF Engineers. With artificial gravity to prevent weakness and bone degradation, aeroponic and replicator systems for food, and eight antimatter drives, these spacecraft are capable of flying for several years at a time, and are capable of travelling anywhere in the Solar System or (thanks to the wormhole) the Alpha Centauri system. Each one also boasts more firepower than all the world's militaries from two centuries ago, complete with railcannons, lasers, particle-beam cannons, antimatter missiles, nanoweapons, and dozens of semi-autonomous fighters and attackships.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

morre

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

2240 to 2249

With the end of the Commodity Crisis, progress in space (both in the Solar System and beyond it) continues, as does progress in gravity control and other fields.

2240. As the Commodity Crisis comes to an end, the economy is beginning to recover, and unemployment and crime are slowly beginning to return to what they were forty years ago. That said, the market has changed forever. Energy is now the largest sector, and the World Energy Corporation has surpassed The Mars Company as the largest company in the Solar System. Most large corporations have developed an energy division as well in response to this. Meanwhile, the number of major material commodities has crashed from dozens to only a handful, thanks to the molecular assemblers. However, food remains a reasonably valuable industry, as MA food is generally rather tasteless and most people who can afford "real" food tend not to use molecular assemblers for that purpose.

2241. The ISS Infinity and the ISS Transcendance arrive at the Tau Ceti system, where they part ways, heading for Tau Ceti e (Arrakis) and Tau Ceti f (Gaia). Arrakis, being named after the Dune planet, proves to be a hot, dry desert with an average temperature of 45 Celsius and relatively little life. Gaia, on the other hand, has an average temperature of 11 Celsius, an oxygen-rich atmosphere (more than Terra, actually, at 29 percent), three continents, two large oceans, and two mid-sized moons. The equatorial regions of Gaia are covered in a boreal forest of yellowish-green trees, though tundra and icecaps are present at more extreme latitudes. Curiously, no animal life appears to have evolved on the planet. With the place being the paradise that it is, no protection of any kind is needed on the surface, once atomated probes have discovered and analyzed the major local bacteria and viruses, allowing people to reprogram their medical nanobots to deal with them (or, in the case of purely biological humans, receive vaccines). Within a few years, it becomes commonplace to see children playing amongst the Yellowoak and Starpine trees around Heavensgate (the colony's chosen name) with no protective gear at all.

2242. Gas giant mining has progressed in recent years, especially with the Commodity Crisis being over. More than fifteen billion tons of gasses are extracted from Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune annually. While most mining operations stay in the upper reaches of the planets' atmospheres, deep mining is also becoming viable, with some intrepid miners descending further in to extract sought-after volatiles.

2243. The need for sleep has been eradicated, at least for transhumans (biological humans still sleep an hour or two per day). Advances in transhumanism, biotechnology, and psychology have resulted in ways to allow the brain to recharge itself during any quiet activity. That said, many people do occasionally choose to rest after especially tiring experiences.

2244. Terraforming on Venus begins, overseen by the newly established Venus Company. This will be the most difficult and expensive terraforming endeavor yet, thanks to Venus's large size and extremely hostile environment. But it will also be by far the most profitable terraforming project in the Solar System centuries down the road.

2246. Femptoweapons are beginning to become viable enough to replace nanoweapons. The main difference between the two is that nanoweapons work on a molecular scale, while femptoweapons work on a subatomic scale. This allows them to have far more precisely controlled, yet far more destructive effects, as they can extensively manipulate the properties of individual atoms.

2247. The language Worldic, first constructed more than half a century ago, is heading into common use. The majority of children are now speaking Worldic as their default language. (Of course, as mentioned elsewhere, everyone speaks every language in a sense.)

2247*. While artificial gravity has existed for several decades, it is only now that the next breakthrough in gravity control is coming, in the form of anti-gravity. This technology allows the gravitational influnce on an area to be reduced (and, in later, more mature versions of the technology, eliminated entirely or even reversed) promising numerous applications in heavy industry, space travel, and the military.

2248. QCDL simulations have progressed to the point where it is possible to perfectly simulate 1000 cubic meters, or a cube 10 meters on one side. This allows for more complex phenomena, like ecosystems and even certain geological processes to be simulated down to the quantum level.

2249*. Right on the heels of anti-gravity comes another breakthrough in gravity control, in the form in inertial dampeners. Through the manipulation of gravity fields, it is possible for vehicles (both in space and on the ground) to accelerate to their top speeds and decelerate again almost instantly, without destroying the people on board. The IPSF motherships are fitted with this technology.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

moore and are u guna have prisoners escape from the supermax prison at all and do tech crimes with all the tech shouldn't haking be a thing or something explore hacking crimes to a bit

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

moore and are u guna have prisoners escape from the supermax prison at all and do tech crimes with all the tech shouldn't haking be a thing or something explore hacking crimes to a bit

Um, the whole point of having a prison on a lava planet is that you really can't escape from it. Even if they somehow got out of their cells (which are made of nanotech-hardened metal, and they won't have any access to tools), they'd have to get out of the prison itself, and then somehow survive on a lava planet more hostile than Venus long enough to get off. But anyway...

2250 to 2259.

The 23rd century is now half over, and the first quarter of the third milennium is over. This decade will see interstellar colonization explode in popularity, and the colonization of another star. Mind uploading, too, will go into mainstream, and another terraforming initiative will begin.

2250. A subculture of transhumans known as techno-nomads is arising on Terra. In a way, they are the opposite of the purely biological humans within society: instead of accepting all technology except transhumanism, they are transhumans who mostly abandon technological society (but not technology in general) and wander through the rebuilt forests, living off the land. This subculture will last well into the 24th century.

2250. Interstellar travel is booming. Thanks to the wormhole to the Alpha Centauri system, interstellar expeditions cost mere billions, instead of trillions, and it is becoming easier to find colonists now that people know that they could theoretically return if they wanted to. For several decades, an average of nearly three thousand people per year will come pouring into Apollo.

2251. Brain uploading is becoming common, even among middle-class citizens, with the majority of people having their brains digitally mapped to the quantum level. This allows an understanding of the human brain on a hitherto unheard of degree, and promises great benefits in the field of brain augmentation.

2254. Two more wormholes are built on the outer edges of the Solar System. One heads to the Tau Ceti system, allowing for mass colonization of Arrakis and Gaia. Thousands of eager colonists flock through the tunnel on the ISS Destiny, arriving at Tau Ceti 48 hours later. The other wormhole links to Kapteyn's Star, a dim red dwarf about 12 light years away. There is some nervousness among the first colonists of this star, for nobody has yet travelled by wormhole to an uncolonized system. But it is successful, and delivers 8,000 colonists to the ice planet Kapteyn b after 51 hours in the wormhole. This is the fifth exoplanet and third solar system (besides the original one) to be colonized by humans.

2255. The Era of Monuments is beginning. For several decades, there will be a phase of designing colossal fountains, statues the size of mountains, and parks of spectacular grandeur within the cities. Eventually, it will end in the 24th century, as people begin to abandon the last of the world's major cities for arcologies.

2256. Antimatter power technology has been miniaturized to the point that portable antimatter power units are now possible, though they are more expensive than micro-fusion units. Nevertheless, they see some use in machines that are generally out of the range of the wireless grid.

2257. The wheel had a good long run of six thousand years or so, but now it is coming to an end. The newest cars do not roll along on wheels, but instead hover six inches to a foot above the road, using room temperature superconductors and electromagnetic fields to stay afloat. Roads across the Solar System are being modified for use by these hovering cars.

2258. Terraforming begins on the Jovian moon Ganymede. This is the first world in the outer Solar System to be terraformed. Due to the planet's distance from the Sun, the moon will need to be heated up using a number of innovative strategies. Perhaps most prominent is the digging of shafts hundreds of miles deep into the moon to release the heat energy from the core. Volatiles will also be boiled to give it an atmosphere.

2259. Progress in femtotechnology allows for the creation of a new variant of sliquid metal, known as sliquas. Not only is sliquas capable of acting as a solid and a liquid simultaneously, it is also capable of acting as a solid and a gas, or a liquid and a gas.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

moore and well done

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

by now youd think thered be a heavy integration of claytronics either happening or on the way...

I will instigate the singularity!

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Thanks for 3000 views and counting! You guys are awesome! :D

by now youd think thered be a heavy integration of claytronics either happening or on the way...

I call it shapeshifting tech in the timeline, and it's in everything from clothes to furniture to buildings.

2260 to 2279

2260. With the scars left by Bernard Aykay's rampage beginning to fade away, a new generation begins, the Golden Generation (2260 to 2285). They are so named for the fact that they will grow up at the beginning of a golden age of sorts, a time of peace and prosperity hitherto unheard of in human history.

2264. By this point, more than half of all non-Terrans reside in arcologies (as do the significant majority of Terrans, of course). The highest proportions are on Luna and Mars, but arcologies exist across the outer Solar System, and even beyond it.

2265. Education has diverged far enough from what it was a quarter of a milennium ago that it would no longer be recognizable. For one thing, there is no more higher education; primary education is what higher education once was, and most people are ready for advanced careers by the age of 15 or 16 (having typically started preparing around the age of 3). Schooling itself obviously continues to remain geared towards teaching one how to generate new knowledge, instead of teaching people about existing knowledge, and it sometimes even has an almost gamelike feel to it.

2267. A wormhole to the Wolf 1061 system (about 13 light years away) is constructed and the first several thousand colonists arrive. Most of the actual colonization is centered on the habitable planet Wolf 1061c, but there are small mining operations on the thermoplanet Wolf 1061b and the gas planet Wolf 1061d.

2269. Mind downloading procedures are allowing the creation of (semi)-sentient pets. While robotic pets continue to remain the most common form of pet, these enhanced animals do gain some popularity among more nature-oriented circles, such as techno-nomads. The enhanced pets can be common creatures like dogs and cats, or even manmade species like Mars cats or alien species like Starhares from planet Arrakis (Tau Ceti e).

2270. The successor to the 230-year-old webnets is launched: the Quantumnet. Quantum tunnelling has become practical enough on a large scale, that an entire internet-like entity can be built with it. It is now possible to send a message from Terra and have it instantly appear in the outer Solar System, the Alpha Centauri system, or even the distant Wolf 1061 colonies (and vice versa). At this stage, the Quantumnet is relatively crude and still centralized: messages are transmitted normally to a world's Quantumnet facility, where they instantly appear on another world's Quantumnet facility, to be transmitted to the target device. Still, this greatly aids interplanetary and interstellar communication.

2273. Weather control has improved in both precision and accuacy. It is possible to regulate temperature, humidity, and the like in areas as small as 100 meters on a side, and easy to control them to within 1 percent or so.

2275. A new type of arcology style, termed the Nature style, is showing up alongside the Crystalline buildings that have been built for over a century. Where right angles were few and far between on Crystalline Era arcologies, there are hardly any angles at all on these new buildings. Instead, there are lots of arcs, domes, and curves, and the buildings themselves are made mostly of blue, green, and clear glass, and capable of altering their forms based on the whims of the inhabitants.

2277. Androids now outnumber purely biological humans. It has been at least a century and a half since androids have been needed for their original purposes (as servents to humans), but they have continued to create more of themselves, and nobody particularly minds. They are, after all, a valuable branch of humanity, with their analytical methods of problem solving and their ability to put emotions on the back burner and let logic govern them when need be.

2278. Gravity control has become commonplace. It is now possible to generate/increase the force of gravity, or to decrease the force of gravity on an area with relative ease. In addition to allowing spacecraft to hover without expending as much fuel, and allowing large masses from heavy mining industries to be moved around with ease, it is also used as an aid in building physical strength, both among civilians and the military.

2278. Nuclear isomer computing, first theorized over a century ago, is now becoming practical enough to be ubiquitous in mainstream applications, greatly boosting computational power.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

first off well done secend more 3rd are u guna replace all humans with androids becase it seems that way will thay rise up at some point it seems like it culd happen well whatever u do im shure it will be well done

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

first off well done secend more 3rd are u guna replace all humans with androids becase it seems that way will thay rise up at some point it seems like it culd happen well whatever u do im shure it will be well done

No. Many people will still desire to be either completely, or mostly biological; even into the twenty-fourth century and beyond.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

well as we rise it dosent seem like it to me but tht is just me

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

well as we rise it dosent seem like it to me but tht is just me

Give modern humanity a chance. Conduct a test on a thousand people, and ask them if they would rather be completely nonbiological or biological. I'm willing to bet that at least 73% of them would rather be biological, since they don't know what it would be like to be artificial living beings and would most likely not want to know. Personally, I wouldn't mind being technologically immortal, as long as I could live in a completely natural setting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users