Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My new, improved timeline of the future

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts

well as we rise it dosent seem like it to me but tht is just me

Give modern humanity a chance. Conduct a test on a thousand people, and ask them if they would rather be completely nonbiological or biological. I'm willing to bet that at least 73% of them would rather be biological, since they don't know what it would be like to be artificial living beings and would most likely not want to know. Personally, I wouldn't mind being technologically immortal, as long as I could live in a completely natural setting.

Correct. In fact, in this timeline, the directed evolution of humans causes transhumanism to become irrelevant in the fourth millennium. Here's the last part of the 23rd century.

2280 to 2299

2280. The ubiquity of mind uploading has allowed body transfer to become common. Body transfer essentially entails having oneself cloned, and then having the entirety of one's brain downloaded into the clone's younger and fresher body; the clone is physically about 25. While this does not allow people to be immune to death, it does mean that one's lifespan can be greatly increased, and one remains young until the end.

2283. Replicators capable of operations on an industrial scale now exist. The remaining mining corporations (on gas giants, rocky planets, ice worlds, and asteroids alike), among others, quickly adopt the technology, using it to boost their wealth and power even further.

2285. The Green Generation, which will last from 2285 to 2315, is beginning. It is so-named for the fact that its members will be growing up during the Nature era of archietecture, and will as adults witness the final decline of traditional cities on Terra.

2286. The total wealth of humanity is now in excess of a quintillion dollars, and it only continues to climb, as industrial-scale replicators become more and more common, and the number of worlds humans have colonized continues to grow.

2289. QCDL technology can now simulate an area of one million cubic meters, or a cube 100 meters on a side.

2291*. The Epsilon Eridani system, about 8 light years away from our own, begins habitation, as a wormhole is opened up to it. Most of the system is reserved by the IPSF, which has decided that it needs a base in the far away from any other colonies. The main base is set up on a large, Ganymede-like moon of the gas giant Epsilon Eridani b, with smaller bases scattered across the system's inner asteroid belt. The IPAF, for its part, continues to maintain its secret base on Posiedon-I.

2292. Psychic powers, once the domain of Project Warlock, are beginning to become available to the general public, albeit in a more limited form. Corporate leaders are quick to snatch this up, using their newly-gained psychic powers to lead their companies to previously-unheard-of levels of prosperity.

2294*. The first gravity-based weapons are being developed. As the name suggests, they use pulses of gravity to increase or concentrate the power and force of a weapon—be it a gun or a bomb. This marks yet another major accomplishment in the field of gravitational engineering.

2298. Up until this year, all of the Interplanetary Council's 35 members have come from the Solar System. Now, that is changing, with an additional two members being added to bring the IPC up to 37 members. The two members are the first Councellors to come from worlds orbiting other stars: one is from Apollo; the other from Gaia.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

moore

QuantumAscension

QuantumAscension

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

85 years on (metaphorically xD) and the timeline is turning out great! Great writing Jakob! Keep it going :)

Yep, I have enough ideas for at least a few more decades. I've been heavily influenced by the PRAXIS timeline (great read), but my version has moar tech that gets developed faster. Not actually sure which path is more likely.

Though I might start shamelessly stealing ideas from the PRAXIS timeline as I run out of my own. (Of course, I'll still have my own ideas mixed in there, since in my version, space travel, transhumanism, and tech in general are progressing faster.)

I read the PRAXIS timeline! Loved it. The only fault I have with it is that humans are still inherently biological in it, and that it seems unfinished. Very entertaining though!

Using that timeline as inspiration sounds great! But make sure to stamp your own style onto your timeline, as you said.

Looking forward the next century! :p

Truth be told, it didn't bother me much since it was a great story otherwise. I have this vague feeling that it's got something mine doesn't.

That said, whole forcefields can be penetrated by swords but not guns thing, on the other hand, is unsound. And taken from Dune. And why is every other technological breakthrough a weapon or a battleship??? And why is the space military modeled after the Navy? And why can humans and aliens have viable offspring?

All very minor points, since I keep obsessively returning to that timeline :)

While we want to use as many real world concepts, theories, structural materials & elements, etc. to enhance the suspension of disbelief, ultimately, PRAXIS is a Sci-fi story, so there will be elements that follow the "Rule of Cool". That said I can try to answer some of your questions.

As far as force fields are concerned in PRAXIS, there are two primary forms of shielding technology:

• Kinetic Particle Aegis systems (KPA)(formerly "shields" instead of "Aegis") and
  • Plasma Force Fields 

Kinetic Particle Aegis systems are the primary and far more readily available form of shielding, and they behave in much the same way Kinetic Barriers in Mass Effect do. In PRAXIS, these are dynamically flowing magnetic fields that suspend trillions of nano-scale particles invisible to the naked eye around an object, person, etc. Their designed to deflect and/or absorb high- and hyper-velocity projectiles depending on the angle of impact and disperse it's kinetic energy throughout the field. Just as there's a maximum amount of stress an Aegis can endure, there is also a minimum limit to which the aegis is effective. This is more or less set at 1,000 meters per second. The reasoning behind this is for multiple issues, both pragmatic and fictional. A good example would for starships that are looking to deploy fighters; if the KPA was completely unpassable, it would require the ship to lower its aegis, and thus leave it exposed to enemy fire. However, if craft can travel in and out of it's hangers without disabling it's shield it's safer and more efficient. The obvious (and intentional) downside/flaw for that is that slower moving enemy missiles can penetrate the shield and impact directly against the ship's armor, assuming they can make it through point defense systems. The same can be said for a person; even though a personal aegis would only be between a few microns and a few millimeters off of a person's body, if it was completely unpassable, they could never directly touch anything, let alone eat, drink, and possibly breathe, without deactivating the shield, which again would leave them vulnerable.

Essentially, anything moving slower than 1,000 meters per second gives the magnetic field of an aegis time to morph around and incoming object. Admittedly, this was also done to legitimize the use of slower moving swords, bows, and wide variety of melee weapons as a form of combat. Gun battles can only take the interested mind so far before it becomes a michael bay movie. Having such a various assortment of weapons allows for us to further personalize and individuate characters within PRAXIS (i.e. specific weapons, weapon styles, fighting styles, etc.). Many of these weapons would also use Plasma-Edge technology, consisting of magnetic confinement fields that wrap around specialized metallic blades and allow sustained plasma to flow along blade's edge. The specific plasma can actually be chosen, based on real-world understanding of ionized gaseous elements in the periodic table, to give the weapons certain colors, further enhancing the individual personality of a given character. (By the way, red plasma does NOT equal sith).

Plasma Force Fields are probably more along the lines you're thinking of, Jakob. These use super-heated plasma and much stronger magnetic confinement fields to prevent passage of any matter, including air, fire and concussive shockwaves. Plasma Force fields are tremendously stronger than Aegis systems, However, because the systems involved have to sustain superheated plasma, the power draw from its use is dramatically higher. It's also a much more rigid system, and doesn't allow for much flexible morphing; not so much a problem for statically shaped starships, but more of a problem for a person who needs to move and walk. As a result there are different types of plasma force fields, such as Plasma Force Domes, Plasma Force Walls, Plasma Force Guards, etc. Naturally, these systems are significantly more expensive than Kinetic Particle Aegises, though to what degree, we haven't yet established. Certain Plasma Force Fields can cool significantly to generate Plasma Windows for aircraft hangers and airlocks.

As a side-note, I haven't read or seen 'Dune', but yes I have heard that it is similar to that. I'm not sure exactly of the circumstances in which 'swords beat force fields' within 'Dune'. However, what we have planned for PRAXIS will make this feature well worth it throughout story arcs, swordplay will be a major theme to maximize action and awesome... Thus we like the "Rule of Cool". To get an idea of where some of our inspiration comes from, you need only look to shows like 'RWBY', 'Legend of Korra', and 'Attack on Titan'.

In regards to Technology being borne from military and defense research within the timeline, this is a common theme in the real world. Research and development often originates with military application (namely because they have far larger budgets; case in point, the U.S.) and trickles its way into the civilian field either as a direct descendant or branches to new technologies. Just a few examples of this are GPS, Robotics & Drones, most of the world's space programs, Doppler Radar for weather tracking, believe me the list goes on for quite awhile. In short, the military in general has been a prime source of technological evolution for hundreds of years, so it's safe to assume that trend can continue into the future.

The decision on how to model the URDF's interstellar worthy starship fleet was mainly a logical one. For one, we blatantly refused to call it anything like 'star fleet' or 'space marines'. Not saying those are necessarily bad or lame names, They just weren't the taste we wanted in PRAXIS. In terms of choosing between a Navy or an Air Force (Aerospace Command in PRAXIS), it was a little more difficult, as we liked the set-up within the later eras of the Stargate Universe. However, the defining relationship and structure between Navies and Marine Corps made it the more practical choice, as Marines would be the preferred military choice for planetary assaults, ship-to-ship interdiction, and similar actions.

It terms of procreation between Humans and Lygarians specifically, this is perhaps pushing the imagination a little. However, let's consider, as stated in the timeline, the cloning of new Lygarians involved the splicing of preserved Lygarian genetic material with a variety of Human DNA in order to successfully create a large number of clones from relatively small gene pool, without risking the degenerative effects of potential interbreeding between the few Lygarian reborn; hence why their biological title would be an amalgam of Lygarian and Human (Neo-Lygarius-Sapien). With this combination of DNA, it's not entirely unreasonable to say that their could natural reproduction between the two. 

We're happy to answer any other questions.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

^I had a detailed reply to this, but unfortunately I lost it :(

I'll just say that this makes a lot more sense considering that you're going for rule of cool/building the backstory to a novel. I wonder, though, can plasma shields (or anything else in the PRAXIS universe) protect against lasers? If so, how is it possible to see through them (I assume that one can, otherwise ships would be wondering around blind [unless they were communicating with quantum tunneling or zero-point communication or something like that])?

Also, are there going to be Dyson spheres at some point? I've been fascinated by the concept ever since The Time Ships introduced me to the concept: imagine a combined power plant, factory, library, supercomputer, fortress, and living area the size of half a billion Earths!

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

Recap post for the 23rd century.

THE WORLD IN 2300

Mankind has continued to expand out into space, albeit at a slower rate than in the 22nd century. There are now roughly 2.8 billion non-Terran citizens, and every part of the Solar System is inhabited, even Venus and the outermost reaches of the Kuiper Belt. Mars is the most heavily populated world outside of Terra, with a population of just over a billion. The frontier is rapidly disappearing on the Jovian and Saturnian moons, as all of the major ones have at least 50 million people each. Several worlds around nearby stars have been colonized, with the most distant human habitation being more than 13 light years from Sol in the Wolf 1061 system; wormhole travel has made interstellar transport and colonization far easier than it was a century ago. As such, more than 700,000 people live on worlds orbiting other stars; the most populous are the lush forest planet Gaia , in the Tau Ceti system (300,000 people) and the nearby planet Apollo, in the Alpha Centauri system (180,000 people). There are half a dozen wormhole tunnels now: one from the Solar System to each of the five other stars that humans have reached, and another from Alpha Centauri to Kapteyn's Star. Through the wormholes, it is possible to travel at speeds of up to 8 light years per day.

Terraforming is nearly done on Mars. The average temperature is 40 Fahrenheit, and the atmospheric pressure is similar to 10,000 feet above sea level on Terra. It is now safe for humans to go outside with no protection for several hours at a time. Large grasslands and lakes have sprung up across the planet, and the first trees, fish, and birds are being brought in or synthesized. The situation on Luna is pretty much the same; it even appears green and blue and brown when viewed from Terra. Even Venus and the Jovian moon Ganymede are being terraformed, though it is too soon to see any substantial effects on either. Further afield, the mining industries on Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are now extracting upwards of 50 billion tons of hydrogen, helium, ammonia, methane, water, and other volatiles annually; Saturn is responsible for nearly half of this material.

Intraplanetary transport has gotten even faster and more efficient, thanks to several innovations during the 23rd century. For one thing, even mid-range cars no longer roll along on wheels; instead they hover a few inches above the road using room-temperature superconductors and manipulation of electromagnetic fields, and can typically travel at 400 to 500 miles per hour. Intertial dampening has solved the tyranny of acceleration problem, allowing vehicles to accelerate to their top speeds almost instantly without destroying the passengers. This allows Orbital Transport vessels to carry passengers halfway around the world in 15 minutes, and makes short-range vactrains travelling at 10,000 miles per hour practical. Interplanetary and interstellar transport continues to be done mainly with antimatter power, though scientists are researching a number of even more exotic energy sources that could theoretically be used.

Fusion and solar continue to make up approximately 91 percent of the energy market, but antimatter power plants now provide 8 percent of humanity's energy needs. Human civilization measures approximately 1.11 on the Kardashev Scale. Energy costs have fallen to 6 or 7 percent of what they were three centuries ago, though obviously personal and species-wide energy expenditure has continued to rise.

The life expectancy is now 197 years, while the oldest person alive is 249 years old. People remain physically about 25 until around 130 or 140 (or, in the case of mind transfers, until the very end). There are also millions of bicenterians who are alive and well. By 2300, babies born on Luddite Reservations account for the significant majority of babies born normally, as opposed to being synthesized. Discounting the Luddites, a total of 99.9 percent of infants in 2300 were synthesized, not born. The average new parent at the dawn of the 24th century is 55.6 years old. There is pretty much no more mental illness, and physical illness kills maybe one or two people in the Solar System per decade, outside of Luddite Reservations (the life-rich colonies like Gaia are responsible for several more, though that is to be expected). The progress of mind uploading in the 23rd century was similar to the progress of genome sequencing in the 21st, to the point that just about everyone alive has a map of their mind stored on a computer, something which can be done for just a few thousand dollars, by 2016 standards. Mind transfer procedures have thus become common: when an individual reaches the age of 120 or 125, they will often have their mind transferred into a fresh body specifically grown for that purpose. This is expensive, but most people can afford to do it, since it only has to be done once per century or so.

The population of Terra is roughly 21 billion. 89 percent of the population lives in arcologies, with another 10 percent living in traditional cities/suburbs and the remaining 1 percent living in rural areas. Most of the remaining land on Terra is a pre-industrial wilderness, as virtually all heavy industries have now been moved to orbitspace, something which is also underway on Luna and Mars. Cyborgs account for 77 percent of the population, androids (including biodroids) for 12 percent, and purely biological humans for 11 percent. Roughly 4.5 percent of the Solar System's population identifies with a religion, with Christianity and Islam roughly tied as the most common ones. The poverty rate is 2.5 percent, and the unemployment rate is just 1.1 percent. On the other side of the spectrum, nearly one in five adults over the age of 25 are millionaires, and there are hundreds of quadrillionaires, including one with a net worth of β5E+15, or $11,000,000,000,000,000 in 2016 dollars.

The military has progressed into a fighting force capable of operating on an interplanetary scale. There are 30 million IPAF personell, 8 million Space Marines in the IPSF, and tens of millions of police, military engineers, and military scientists. Project Warlock, whose existence has now been public knowledge for decades, has flourished, and there are now nearly 10,000 Warlocks. Gravity control, gravity-based weapons, forcefields, and femtotechnology weapons and tools are in use by the military, and the 66-year-old IPSF has a sizable fleet of interplanetary spacecraft and nearly two thousand space stations (out of a few tens of millions of registered space stations in the Solar System). The IPAF and the IPSF could easily defeat all the world's armies from even the year 2100 in about five minutes, such is their level of firepower and technology.

Human civilization is definitely something of a Crystal Spires and Togas civilization by this point, though without the togas. For instance, one would be hard-pressed to find a computer lying around in 2300, because typical computers are partially embedded within peoples' brains now. In general, almost every appliance, machine, and device at the dawn of the 24th century, is controlled entirely telepathically, with no need for buttons, dials, switches, and all the clutter found on machines from earlier centuries.

Femtotechnological advances such as nuclear isomer computing have continued to miniaturize and strengthen computational technology, to the point that supercomputers are nearly a billion trillion times more powerful than they were in 2016 and are capable of simulating entire environments down to the most fundamental level of reality. Quantum tunneling communication has also exploded into the mainstream in recent decades with the invention of the quantumnet. Now, near-instant communication is possible between all the worlds that humans have colonized. Crystal spires are indeed common, especially in the older arcologies from the Crystalline Era. The Era of Monuments is also in full swing, with its colossal fountains, majestic parks, and statues that would seem to break the laws of physics to an observer from three centuries ago. Gravity control has been developed, and a number of its initial applications have been perfected. Gone are the days when a spaceship had to spin for people on board to walk normally, and gone are the days when spaceships couldn't just casually hover in a planet's atmosphere using minimal fuel.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

moore I hope u do the aliens like in star wars or star trek hell make a zenomorph or however u say it from the aliens movie with riply and all that

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

moore I hope u do the aliens like in star wars or star trek hell make a zenomorph or however u say it from the aliens movie with riply and all that

Like I've said once upon a time: even though we may be a Type I Civilization, extraterrestrial life would most likely want nothing to do with us; viewing us as either too mundane and not worth the time/money/resources, or are too afraid. Or they could just not know about us at all.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

Like I've said once upon a time: even though we may be a Type I Civilization, extraterrestrial life would most likely want nothing to do with us; viewing us as either too mundane and not worth the time/money/resources, or are too afraid. Or they could just not know about us at all.

Or humans could be the first/one of the first to even be capable of interstellar travel.

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Or humans could be the first/one of the first to even be capable of interstellar travel.

Possible, yet unlikely, thanks to Hollywood. This universe is large enough that somewhere, there is some kind of civilization likely colonizing multiple galaxies.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

we culd find thare ruins on outher  planets or somthing

QuantumAscension

QuantumAscension

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

^I had a detailed reply to this, but unfortunately I lost it :(

I'll just say that this makes a lot more sense considering that you're going for rule of cool/building the backstory to a novel. I wonder, though, can plasma shields (or anything else in the PRAXIS universe) protect against lasers? If so, how is it possible to see through them (I assume that one can, otherwise ships would be wondering around blind [unless they were communicating with quantum tunneling or zero-point communication or something like that])?

Also, are there going to be Dyson spheres at some point? I've been fascinated by the concept ever since The Time Ships introduced me to the concept: imagine a combined power plant, factory, library, supercomputer, fortress, and living area the size of half a billion Earths!

Well, as far as deflecting or redirecting lasers with a plasma shield, this is definitely possible. These articles below can shed some light on how and explain a couple different ideas:

http://www.extremete...ds-in-real-life

That said, could you see through it? Eh, well in the real world, technically no, depending on what type of laser you were defending against... However, for the sake of the story (And this is understandably a violation of real world physics) let's say we can see, as well as hear through the force field to a limited degree (I know, how can a force field that stops air and shockwaves, allow sounds waves to permeate through?!). These are some of the sacrifices in realism we have to make, to enhance the plot and make the technology viable in a battle. But, if we did stick to a realistic effect of not being able to see or hear through it, we could look at a couple different methods in which this could still be feasible (At least for soldiers on the ground. Our soldiers will typically have a powerful companion AI with them that provides the soldier with a myriad of capabilities that they would otherwise be unable to access. The soldier would also have a plethora of highly advanced tech at their disposal. and they would likely have an advanced reconnaissance source off the battlefield, such as in orbit on a military warship. These could work together to provide an augmented reality of what was happening on the outside of the force field and transmit it to the soldier within the force field via communications that can penetrate the field. such AR could then be translated into their visual heads-up display and auditory emulators. Of course much of that is speculation, but it's better than just saying "magic".

As I said before, Plasma force fields will consume a substantial amount of power, so they will be more of an emergency defensive measure than a full-time active defense system. They're effective at resisting both directed energy weapons as well as physical projectile / kinetic weapons, while Kinetic Particle Aegises are mostly effective at the latter, though I could see them being able to resist particle beam type weapons due to their similarities of existence (i.e. a particle beam could actually strengthen a aegis because it's literally feeding the shield more particles to defend with, the obvious way to rebalance this issue would be that a particle beam can overload an aegis at some point and force it to reset and recharge). Aegises will also be effective at blocking various types radiation, since the magnetic field surrounding a person or a ship would be vaguely similar to that of a magnetic field protecting a planet

Aside from energy shield type protection, there are also physical armors that perform different tasks. In terms of the URDF military, warships are outfitted with two forms of armor. Titanium-Carbide-Tungsten-Alloy (TI.CA.T.A.) or Ticata armor is the heavier bulk armor that make of ship hulls, and is meant to withstand heavy kinetic and nuclear force. above the Ticata armor is a layer of Synthetic Diamond Carbyne Nanotube (SY.DI.CA.NA.) composite or Syndicana armor which is extremely heat and pressure resistant and effective at absorbing direct energy weapon attacks

As far as communication there, yes there will Quantum Entanglement Secured Transmissions or QUEST communications. This will be impractical for general public use as a communication method, but extremely valuable to the military and private corporations as fool-proof, secured method of unhackable, untraceable communication.

Dyson spheres in PRAXIS? Absolutely. However, in terms of humanity constructing them, unlikely at the time frame we're talking about (2565-ish) dyson spheres big and small are long term construction projects, with the bigger "Star system sized' spheres requiring the combined physical mass of hundreds of planets to be imported in system and converted into structural materials. A sphere of satellites is one thing, fully encasing a planet or star system or building an entire artificial world (Something we are all for) is definitely another. We could look at the beginning stages of such a project by humanity though. However, there will be a hyper-advanced species in the PRAXIS Universe that is responsible for construction of the PRAXI Structures that leave behind other incredibly large and/or sophisticated structures like dyson spheres when they "disappear". If this sounds vaguely familiar to Halo's Forerunners, then you are correct. Halo certainly played a huge role in our inspiration to create a new universe.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

2302. The Interstellar Wormhole Network (ISWN) is established, leading to a vast boom in space travel. Wormhole links to five more solar systems are opened: Gliese 876, Gliese 832, Gliese 682, Gliese 581, and Gliese 667, and tens of thousands of colonists venture forth from the crowded Sol system to these new frontiers. One of the most notable worlds is Gliese 876 b-III, a moon of the Jupiter-like planet Gliese 876 b, about 15 light years from Sol; this moon of shallow seas and dark-red grasslands is about half the mass of Terra, and is the first moon where humans can venture about on the surface unprotected, not counting the mostly-terraformed Luna. Another important world is Gliese 667 Cc, renamed planet Veles. At a distance of 23.6 light years, Veles and the other worlds in the Gliese 667 system are the most distant worlds inhabited by humans, though travel time from Terra is only 43 hours by wormhole. Its main claim to fame, though, is that it is another life-bearing world, mostly consisting of oceans and large chains of steep, rugged islands with chilly cloud forests.

2304. One million people now live in other solar systems. Thousands upon thousands of children have grown up without ever seeing the light of Sol. To them, "the Sun" is Alpha Centauri B or Tau Ceti or something else, and Sol is just a cold white point of light in the night sky, one where their parents or maybe their grandparents came from.

2305. By this point, numerous worlds have enough colonists and enough heavy industry to begin contributing to the economy of the Interplanetary Republic, beginning to offset the cost of colonizing and industrializing in the first place. With this newfound prosperity, colonial governments and corporate entities begin funding their own interplanetary expeditions within their respective Solar Systems. The lava planet Alpha Centauri Bb has several mining ventures, mostly consisting of machines and their transhuman and android overseers. The inner planets in the Tau Ceti system also have colonists, and Kapteyn c is being explored. Interplanetary trading coalitions modelled after the Sol system's own SSTC are formed, and link with each other and the SSTC to produce a spectacularly prolific trade network.

2309. In yet another example of Clarke's Third Law, the Warlock Force begins testing gloves that allow the user to perform telekinesis. Obviously, this is not really a paranormal feat, but "simply" a matter of the gloves manipulating electromagnetic and gravitational fields to remotely move objects around. Although these gloves are pretty bulky, even the prototype versions can manipulate masses of up to several kilograms from a range of one or two meters.

2310. Morphological freedom begins to become a reality, thanks to advances in nanotechnology and transhumanism. Essentially, it means that a person can decide what they want to look like. If someone wants green skin, blue hair, and purple eyes, all they need to do is think of it, and it becomes so. It isn't an uncontroversial idea, and even much further into the future, most people will keep their default forms at least some of the time. It also obviously has limits: you can't turn yourself, say, a giant or an animal or a member of the opposite gender.

2315. The quantumnet begins to be replaced by the Decentralized Quantumnet. This allows messages to be instantly transmitted via quantum entanglement between any two devices, without going through a central station.

2315. The Platinum Generation (2315 to 2345) begins, living in a time of even greater prosperity than their predeccesors. They will grow up during a time of morphological freedom, Decentralized Quantumnet, and completely internalized computers. This remote descendant of the Internet is impossible to hack, both from a theoretical and a practical standpoint.

2317. Roughly a century and a half has passed since femtotechnology has become a viable field. The field has advanced to the point where not only exotic materials, but numerous entirely new and alien states of matter are being created in physics laboratories, and some are even seeing practical uses in some industries.

2318. Traditional computers are entirely gone for most people. Instead, computers exist mostly within peoples' brains. This does not apply to biological humans or supercomputers however.

2319. Space-based solar power is beginning to be taken to even greater extremes, as the largest network of solar power space stations in history is completed around Terra. The network surrounds the entire planet, collecting virtually all of the sunlight reaching the planet. This pretty much abolishes the need for a grid; it is possible to have power beamed directly into any electronic device, anywhere on the planet. This arrangement is underway on many other worlds, though on more distant planets, it is fuelled by fusion or antimatter instead of solar.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

moore

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

2320 to 2339

2320. Several of mankind's interstellar colonies have become large and prominent enough to make major cultural contributions to the Interplanetary Republic. Planets like Gaia and Veles have developed their own local cuisines based on the native life, while they and numerous other worlds contribute never-before-seen minerals, woods, and plants, some of them quite valuable in the Sol system. Of course, it goes the other way too, and Terran food and artifacts are enjoyed as far away as planet Nolsumek (aka Gliese 180 c, the most distant inhabited world, at 39.5 light years from Sol).

2321. Gravity control machines have been greatly reduced in both size and cost in recent years. This allows even smaller vehicles like drones and hovering cars to utilize anti-gravity. Their cost and size will only continue to go down in future decades.

2325. The terraforming of Luna is officially announced to be complete, as it is judged safe for humans to remain outside without protection indefinitely. The average temperature is 15 Celsius, the average pressure is 0.9 atmospheres, and there are several large lakes and oceans. The first forests are beginning to grow, and numerous species—both natural ones imported from Terra and manmade ones—live on Luna. When terraforming started almost two centuries ago, there were only a few million people on Luna; now there are over a billion people to enjoy the terraformed paradise.

2327. Zone 2 systems—stars between 40 and 100 light years from Sol—begin opening up for colonization. In ISWN terminology, Zone 2 systems are those that do not have a direct wormhole link to the Solar System, but instead connect to Zone 1 systems, which do link to the Solar System. This arrangement is to ensure that hyperspace does not become destabilized by having too many wormholes in the same area, much like digging too many tunnels in the same mountain might cause it to collapse. The Kapteyn's star system becomes a major wormhole link to several Zone 2 worlds. In future decades, this will cause it to rise to relative prominence, like the railroad towns of half a milennium ago.

2329. Automatic, realtime mind uploading is practical, ensuring that people always have an up-to-date (typically a second old, at most) copy of their brain available should they die. This basically means that it's almost impossible to die until one's brain becomes so overloaded with stuff that it crashes.

2330. The terraforming of Mars has been completed, just five years after the terraforming of Luna. Young forests cover much of the planet, and large rivers, lakes, and oceans cover most of the rest, with the exception of cities and arcologies. With most heavy industry being located in orbitspace, the planet is almost untouched beyond urban areas. The average temperature is 13.5 Celsius and the pressure is 0.97 atmospheres. The only places on Mars that are inaccessible without protection are the extreme polar regions and ultra-high places like the peak of Olympus Mons.

2333. High-level mind control is possible, on a much level of precision than old-fashioned nanoweapons or femtoweapons. This is mostly used by the Warlocks on dangerous potential criminals. Also, the first third of the third milennium is over.

2334. The first starlifting projects begin. Such ventures involve literally travelling into stars to extract raw material, and orders of magnitude more than gas giants could provide. To date, only a handful of probes have actually gone into any star, but femtotechnological materials capable of withstanding near-unlimited heat or even becoming stronger at higher temperatures allow mining vessels to follow. The first starlifting expeditions are carried out in the red dwarf Kapteyn's star, due to its relatively low temperature.

2336. Dozens other planetary grids, on worlds in the Sol system and beyond it, have been done, modelled after the Terran grid. Then again, in a sense there is no grid, just power stations and electronic devices.

2339. 10 million people are now living in solar systems other than our own. The vast majority still reside within nearby Zone 1 systems, but already more than a hundred thousand people have drifted out to the more distant Zone 2 systems, with the most distant colonists being located at 55 to 60 light years from Sol.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

morre

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

2340 to 2359

2340. Anti-gravity technology is now being incorporated into buildings and structures, allowing them to become even larger and more spectacular than ever before, not to mention more bizarre, since they basically just flip the bird at gravity (kind of like the Age of Great Buildings in The Time Ships). It also frees up buildings from the clutter and ugliness of structural supports, leading to the largest archietectural revolution since the invention of skyscrapers. In fact, on a smaller scale, anti-gravity and artificial gravity have become so common that they are even components of some children's toys.

2341. Telekinetic technology has advanced significantly in the past thirty years. It is now possible to manipulate masses of up to 50 or 60 kilograms from ten meters away with telekinetic gloves, which have also become much cheaper. Miniaturized versions of the technology are being developed, with nanotech implants that can simply be planted into one's fingers without the need for bulky gloves.

2344. After a century, Venus terraforming is beginning to show significant progress. The atmospheric pressure has been halved and the average temperature on the surface has been reduced to 350 Celsius. This is still too inhospitable for any sort of life—even genetically engineered life—but definite progress is being made. Terraforming is going much faster on Ganymede. A thin nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere has already been established, and it is (barely) possible to walk around without a pressure suit. However, most of the moon is extremely cold still, except around the geothermal vents that have been dug in places; genetically engineered lichens and mosses are beginning to grow there.

2345. The Platinum Generaton (2315 to 2345) has ended. The next generation, the Rhodium Generation, begins. It lasts from 2345 to 2375.

2348. Forcefield technology has become advanced enough that entire moons and even planets can be surrounded by forcefields. This means that active defences against, say, asteroids or unauthorized intruders are no longer neccesary; an energy field in high orbit takes care of everything. Interplanetary travel can be accomadated for by deactivating portions of the field.

2350. By the middle of the 24th century, only about 1 in 40,000 non-Luddite newborns are non-synthetic, and synthetics can be made in just two weeks, not months. At this point, the evolution of the human race begins to be artificially directed. Essentially, this allows evolution to not only be controlled precisely, but will allow the human race to evolve far faster than natural evolution.

2351. As children continue to mature faster and faster—both intellectually and psychologically—the age of majority is lowered to 14. In fact, even physical maturity is being reached several years faster than in centuries past, due to biotechnology. Because of these advances, is not unheard of for people to be billionaire entrepreneurs, acclaimed scientists, or officers in the IPAF/IPSF by the age of twenty.

2352. The newest weather control satellites have become so accurate that temperature, humidity air pressure, cloud cover, and wind speed can all be controlled to within 0.1 percent. And they have become so precise that they work over areas as small as a few meters square. Essentially, perfect weather control has been achieved.

2355. By this point, 99.5 percent of the population speaks Worldic. However, a lingustic anomaly, believed to be partially genetic and partially environmental, is beginning to show up among a few children, most of them between five and ten. These children are apparently capable of truly telepathic communication, of communicating ideas and information without needing crude tools like words. The very few who are capable of this are perhaps the first humans in history to truly understand what it's like to be another human (though they can only do this with others with the skill, who are very rare). On the flip side, these "true telepaths" are typically disinterested in associating with normal people; it's speculated that this is they realize how impossible it is to understand or be understood by normal people, and thus don't get anything out of socializing.

2357. With gravity control having been perfected in the past few decades, scientists begin looking into other forces. Namely control of the strong and weak nuclear forces, to join the control of gravity and electromagnetism that are already ubiquitous.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

morre

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

When do humans make contact with another civilization?

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

When do humans make contact with another civilization?

thousands of years in the future due to space distances.

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

please start tracking the lifespan of the average human again and talk a bit more about fivr tech

I will instigate the singularity!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users