Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your 2016 Predictions

2016 technology virtual reality domestic robotics augmented reality presidential election drones China

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,619 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Last year...

So the first year of The Future™ has been incredible, no doubt. Somehow, I got quite a bit of it right, and I'll create an end-of-the-year thread for it come New Year's. But now it's time to make guesses about what the world of 2016 will be like.

Just as last time, the official Timeline predictions first...

2016-2020 —

China builds the longest undersea tunnel in the world

2016 —

Completion of the Panama Canal expansion project
Microchipping of all dogs in England 
Euro 2016 is held in France
Rio de Janeiro hosts the Olympic Games 
The first manned flight of SpaceX's Dragon V2
India's first manned space flight
India launches its second unmanned lunar probe
The International Lunar Observatory begins operations
The first hotel in space
Balloon trips up to 20 miles high
The Juno probe arrives at Jupiter
The world's largest single-aperture telescope is completed in China
The mining industry is highly automated
Agricultural robots are appearing on farms
High-definition CCTV cameras are ubiquitous
OLED displays are in widespread use
Three-person babies
New drug delivery methods for brain-related conditions
A pill to prevent sunburn
Completion of the i5K project
China completes the largest environmental cleanup in its history
Polymer banknotes are introduced by the Bank of England
United States Presidential Election

Now for my own.

Virtual reality courts the mainstream with an array of devices, including Gear VR, Oculus Rift, PS VR, and Vive
Aldebaran's Pepper is released in the US and becomes an immediate success as the first affordable artificially intelligent domestic humanoid robot
Pepper gets the Amelia deep learning system installed, further assisting its capabilities
Domestic robots begin entering middle class homes at a shockingly high rate
Various hyped augmented reality smartglasses are released
Bitcoin becomes a legitimized currency
Successful launch of the Falcon Heavy
Deep learning algorithms/spiked neural networks reach superhuman success rates
Oil prices fall to historic lows and create a new and strangely uneven recession as the oil industry collapses
Solar and wind explode into the mainstream, obliterating all previous growth expectations
Battery/supercapacitor breakthrough proves to be a quantum leap forward for energy storage, advances all estimates relating to energy storage by five years
Nuclear fission makes a comeback as the oil industry is brought to its knees and a new generation of reactors begin coming online; nuclear industry chooses to work alongside renewables
Nuclear fusion enjoys multiple unbelievable breakthroughs; doubt is cast upon ITER as investment quadruples, at the very least, into commercial fusion power
Google Fiber begins first large-scale roll out over multiple cities at once, while municipalities begin rolling out their own high-speed internet en masse
Novelty of drones begins to wear off, especially as regulations begin being put in place, and they become an accepted norm of society
The first drone-based Global Internet service scheme begins
Smart TV market booms, especially as more ditch cable companies
OLED holographic screens are put on buildings to create 3D ads, beginning in cities such as Dubai, Tokyo, and New York
Bionic hands become fluidly dexterous, imitating real hands almost perfectly
New generation of ASIMO is unveiled to the public, featuring and showing off such bionic hands and also featuring a deep-learning based CPU
Robots competing in the DARPA Robotic Challenge seem to be worlds beyond 2015 models
First robot brothel opens
Autonomous vehicle technology accelerates growth, with AVs shown as being capable of traversing hazardous environments
Robots begin appearing in commercials more regularly
First UBI experiment attempted in a European city
ISIS is defeated
Autonomous flying car unveiled by a major automaker
Pet cloning industry grows
Memristor-based computer shown off
Biotech field sees further exponential growth
First asteroid mining mission begins, more as a proof of concept
Ukrainian conflict fades
Technosexuality begins encroaching into the mainstream as "virtual waifus" take off
Global carbon emissions begin to decline
8k TVs begin entering mass market
Haptic holograms proven to be able to interact with environment, lift small objects
Holograms begin entering the mainstream as the iPhone 7 introduces 3D holographic capabilities
Smartwatch capabilities improve as more become capable of health monitoring
Bernie Sanders elected President of the United States of America, with Elizabeth Warren as vice president
Worker cooperatives begin pushing their way into the mainstream
Saudi Arabia declares $100 billion+ deficit
Marijuana legalized in the United States, Canada, and a few other nations
Talk begins of legalizing all psychoactive drugs, at least for medical purposes
Australia recommits to green energy efforts following Abbott's green dark age and the near-collapse of the oil industry
Deep learning growth begins hyperacceleration of AI progress, faster even than Moore's Law
A deep learning algorithm learns to recognize the alphabet of any language
Deep learning begins moving onto auditory and haptic recognition
Experimental hyperloop track begins construction
RFID implants begin entering the sub-mainstream, mainly for animals and newborns, to the horror of conspiracy theorists
Internet of Things begins expanding more deeply into middle class homes
Lunar rediscovery as more space agencies begin plans to send rovers to, study, and colonize the moon
NASA announces manned mission to the moon by 2019, based on Falcon Heavy's success
Supersonic commercial jets reenter airports, but yet to carry passengers
GPUs undergo extreme upgrade
7nm computer chips enter production
3D chips enter production
Memristors enter mass production
Deep learning algorithms begin accelerating scientific growth
Higher temperature sub-room temperature superconductors discovered (perhaps up to -50°C)
Objects discovered on the very edge of the observable universe, suggesting the first formations of large cosmic structures began immediately after the big bang
Microbots and micromachines see boomtime as people begin focusing on the easier microscale rather than nanoscale
Beijing's air quality reaches record lows before rising by the end of the year
China begins plans to generate terawatts of electricity by 2030 via an intense focus on solar, wind, nuclear, etc. energy sources

• Casey, FrogCAT, Infinite and 1 other like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I could criticize some of your predictions but I wont. So I'll just add that the plans for the Mars Colonial Transporter are unveiled.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

I could criticize some of your predictions but I wont. 

You should. That just makes them more likely to come true.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Well i think you are overestimating the introduction of social robots into the general public. We may see some introduction but i doubt we will experience the proliferation that you make apparent.

I doubt ISIS will be defeated unless a coalition is undertaken but that is difficult to do, and unless we see a terroristic attack like that which happened on 9/11 it may not happen.

Bernie Sanders becoming president is a hopeful proposition.

A manned Lunar Mission fro Nasa is the last thing on their minds as they have made clear that they have a laser focus on getting to mars.

8k tv's may enter the market but they will be far from massively produced or sold as the prices will be in the 10's of thousands most likely.

Oil is gonna recuperate and if it does lose market share it won't be as extensive as you make it sound.

Those are my major gripes with your predictions.

• eacao and Whereas like this

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I'm just going to stick with one.  After using Google Cardboard with two different devices, I'm going to predict that Oculus Rift doesn't turn out to be all that successful, and instead the public embraces things like Google Cardboard, Samsung VR, and any other devices that utilize your smartphone so that every time you get a new smartphone you basically get a free upgrade to your VR.  Oculus Rift will probably survive but will be used exclusively for gaming, where as headsets that use your smartphone will be for things like exploring the world (my favorite thing to do in VR is to explore Google Earth), museums, Mars (NASA just announced they will create a VR experience taken from photos that Curiosity has snapped on Mars and release it in March), etc.  I imagine eventually that Google or someone else will begin using drones to fly through major cities with 360 deg cameras so that people can log on and virtually explore London or Paris or Jerusalem or wherever.  

The only thing we ever want is more

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Well i think you are overestimating the introduction of social robots into the general public. We may see some introduction but i doubt we will experience the proliferation that you make apparent.

I doubt ISIS will be defeated unless a coalition is undertaken but that is difficult to do, and unless we see a terroristic attack like that which happened on 9/11 it may not happen.

Bernie Sanders becoming president is a hopeful proposition.

A manned Lunar Mission fro Nasa is the last thing on their minds as they have made clear that they have a laser focus on getting to mars.

8k tv's may enter the market but they will be far from massively produced or sold as the prices will be in the 10's of thousands most likely.

Oil is gonna recuperate and if it does lose market share it won't be as extensive as you make it sound.

Those are my major gripes with your predictions.

About social robots: Going from 0 to 3,000 units sold is my definition of "shockingly high rate of success", considering there is no market for social robots prior to 2016. So that's more or less low-hanging fruit. Pepper and others have to fail hard, like bafflingly Aldebaran has more Peppers returned than they initially sold, for me to consider it a failure.

A manned lunar mission is exactly the thing we need in order to get to Mars, and NASA knows it. In fact, a successful lunar mission means they could get even more funding, which can go towards heading to Mars

8k TVs are already on the market, but for about $100,000, and I know for a fact it's gonna take about a decade before they become mass produced.

Finally, I think you're overestimating the strength of ISIS. When Raqqa falls, that's it. If ISIS continues on as a shadowy insurgency, that's a different thing.

nomad

nomad

The Darkness

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

A lot has been covered already.

A serious Islamic terrorist attack occurs in the US.
Donald Trump wins the 2016 election.

ISIS wanes but remains.
Oil prices go back up to near but not quite the standard prices seen in the last 5 years.
A new season of Sword Art Online comes out.
The Transition Movement becomes increasingly mainstream.
The popularity of electric scooters and motorcycles rises with the cost of oil.

Employment protections for LGBT people in all 50 states makes significant progress on a Federal level.

• eacao and tlhrek2011 like this

Cats.

Smeargle

Smeargle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationLuckiest city in the UK
Donald Trump wins the US election.

The world ends 15 minutes later, when he "accidentally" launches the entire US nuclear arsenal.
  • Infinite likes this

ARADIA: i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

Donald Trump wins the US election.

The world ends 15 minutes later, when he "accidentally" launches the entire US nuclear arsenal.

Even if he were elected, he would not become president until January 2017! :p

• masterwigglestin likes this

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

My prediction:

- The deepening of global economic crisis

ISIS wanes but remains

- New outbreak of violence in Ukraine

- Turkey will get their own "Donbass" - the low-intese civil war in south-eastern Kurdish regions

- Hillary Clinton is a new president

- Further inevitable deterioration of Russian-Western relations

- One or two new wars in Third World

- Some new hi-tech toys and gadgets

• Sciencerocks and Recyvuym like this

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC
Mosul will be re-captured from ISIS, causing the group to steadfastly decline in both power and influence.

Nintendo unveils the Nintendo NX

After 5 gruelling years of civil war in Syria, the tides turn against dictator Bashar Al-Assad.

Further improvements in relations between The US and Cuba.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Well damn, that was fast. First of many to come true, maybe?

Google is getting serious about its plan to wire the US with superfast internet

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

And this might make it two.

Toyota Patents a New Flying Car Design

• eacao and Casey like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Good God, is this Three??

Nasdaq makes first share trade using blockchain technology

Right, so the year isn't even a day old and we already have three predictions turning yellow.

Bitcoin becomes a legitimized currency
Autonomous flying car unveiled by a major automaker
Google Fiber begins first large-scale roll out over multiple cities at once, while municipalities begin rolling out their own high-speed internet en masse

• Casey likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,593 posts

I pedict that people on this fourm will come to realize how absolutely horrible I am at predicting things.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Number 4 sounds like it would blow your ass apart, and the fourth potentially correct prediction...?

Micromachines and microtechnology!

DARPA funding ten approaches for nanometers or atomic precision scaled to millimeter sized products

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

drought in west coast US continues, with water rationing.
oil prices remain low for the year to undermine new fossil fuel industries out of business.
ISIS will have a coniption fit with how desensatized the world is becoming to them and try to get more attention again with some big act.
Self driving begins to move into shipping and touristy public transport systems and taxis. expect vandalism by upset people put out of work.
Buy human, starts as a movement following the Buy local as people advocate products and services that are the results of and pay the wages of human workforces.
'The universal translator' has it's first draft commercially available.
A home automated kitchen makes it's debut through croud funding campaigns.
The first VR 'movie' will be made available for download.
A rapid charging, long lifetime, battery made of more sustainable and environmentally safer materials hit markets by years end.
An attempt will be made somewhere in the world to institute a eugenics program.
A proposal will be made to agregate data on the usage of disability, social security, food stamps, welfare, and similar social programs into a psuedo credit score where "poor handling" (aka, not using them the way certain congress people think they should be used) of those programs leads to benefits cuts. A similar attempt is made for a score for all immigrants and even an attempt to do so for muslims.

• Casey likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

One interesting thing that has come to be is China has kept fusion going for 120 seconds!!! This is a huge breakthrough. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if this is topped.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Yeah hopefully it is Matthew. Fusion is always 20 years away but maybe this time it is lol

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

One interesting thing that has come to be is China has kept fusion going for 120 seconds!!! This is a huge breakthrough. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if this is topped.

Germany plans to keep it up for 30 minutes, later this year IIRC.
  • Sciencerocks and Casey like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, technology, virtual reality, domestic robotics, augmented reality, presidential election, drones, China

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users