Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Nostalgia Thread

2016 2017 2000 1994 1970 2006 1996 1986 Nostalgia Nostalgic

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

https://youtu.be/MoP3oKx85F8

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Digging in old stuff on dusty shelves (to decide what still can stay and what will be sent to nearest trash can), i've found my grandpa's officer bag-tablet... completely archaic and useless thing, but I will never dare to throw it away:

il_570xN.1533081010_8q4f.jpg

• Yuli Ban, Erowind and BasilBerylium like this

Terry Purvis

Terry Purvis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Ain' got one. Nostalgia for a future is illusion.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

https://www.miniclip...ames/detonator/

AAAAHAAaaa...

• Erowind likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I never thought I'd be nostalgic over emo, pop punk, and crunk music of all things, but here we are. I actually miss the 2000s.

• Erowind likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

^ Floggers

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

150514094302-apple-com-power-mac-g4-10-4

• Erowind likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

To all you old heads, a quarter of all people on earth were born after this video came out. I was 5 when this video came out. Still, it's such a beautiful video in a strange way. It was a time when people were still so surprised by viral videos, and now shit's just expected. I think the last big viral video was Gangnam style. After Despacito came out, people sort of expect this shit to come in cycles now. It's not a massive phenomenon anymore when shit becomes a massive hit. Games and videos too, like with lets plays, minecraft style builders being replaced in popularity with survival horrors and that being replaced with battle royale games. Politics online has went through these revolutions, like those old style illuminati videos, classic fedora tipping neckbeards being replaced with QAnon, and incels.

So when you revisit old videos like Numa Numa, there springs a feeling like you're witnessing the seedling of a great tree breaking through the ground.

https://youtu.be/KmtzQCSh6xk

RIP old windows xp internet. You're missed.

• Erowind likes this
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/QAlMaVYIzqw

IMPERATOR!

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
The crying Indian (Native American):

YouTube Video

Looks like it was from another age. It even had that deep, hard announcer voice characteristic of many PSAs of the time (and even some cartoons).

That was an important meme at the time -- along with Smokey Bear ("Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires"). Smokey had been around as a meme for decades.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Something that has to do a lot with my generation.

Video is titled "your family is asleep and you’re playing minecraft on a cool 2012 summer night"

https://youtu.be/igVLTttJDnk

It's a happy sort of sad. If you guys want to see some of my minecraft lets plays when I was 12. I had a strange fixation to the name tony when I was younger, and I made it my alias, don't judge me:

https://youtu.be/02BE75lkxNs

• Erowind likes this
Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/QAlMaVYIzqw

IMPERATOR!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

ucwnc5xkp5u11.jpg

Ow...

• Erowind likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

kSBi5WJ.jpg

Oh, these overhead projectors were so low-tech but make me so nostalgic. I still remember the silent, bored joy of when one refracted a little rainbow onto the ceiling.

I'm fairly certain these are still around since they're pretty cheap and well established.

• Erowind likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

The ruins of an ancient civilization

jUheEzg.jpg

• Erowind likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

Oh, man! Remember when everything was transparent or translucent back in the '90s?

7ohheber8jf11.jpg

• Erowind and funkervogt like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

CNHy4P4Vbez2oPsVaS1IlRKOSw1UeT1g2efxA-Tu

It's been well over a decade since I played GTA Vice City on consoles (it's actually getting close to two decades), and all I can remember was all the "left down right up" cheats that gave you health and guns. Oh, but VC on PC? I still remember those codes. I can enter those cheat codes very fast indeed.

• Erowind likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

9KtEz8X.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

One of my oldest gaming memories is of playing Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast.

20 years ago.

the-shining.jpg?resize=548%2C324
tumblr_lhvwfhiaeG1qfwjth.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

You piece of fuck-filth

emerging-technology-2020-12-728.jpg?cb=1

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,493 posts

We're a little over 7 months away from 2020, so I feel it's time for a blast from the past.

Videogames in 2020 Won't Be Much Different from Today's Games

12/04/2008

Though most scifi movies and books portray future videogames as totally immersive, almost indistinguishable from real life, a University of Washington researcher says the reality is more likely to be a lot more mundane. Kris Erickson writes in PS3 Informer that getting an accurate picture of future videogames requires us to look into the past, and accept the fact that there's not a tremendous difference between 1998 games and today's games. So what does he think games of 2020 will be like?
Sadly, there will be no Lawnmower Man-esque jumping into the cyber to have kinky tentacle encounters. But there will be some big differences in how we purchase games, as well as how we physically interact with them.

Erickson writes:

The game consoles of 2020 will remain completely recognizable to a time traveler from 2008. They will still require a box in your house that connects up to the television set (and these will still be called television sets). Although it is unlikely that consoles will require or include optical disk trays of any kind, they will still accept portable storage medium like memory cards. They will also connect wirelessly to the Internet the same way that they do now. Most games will be purchased through download services like Xbox Live and PSN. Controllers will probably look much the same as those from 2008, although we can’t vouch for Nintendo. It is unlikely that gamers will be willing to give up their trusty old dual analogue input for flashy new motion tracking software, unless developers get it pixel-perfect. Many newer games probably will use motion tracking, however, pointing the way toward the eventual obsolescence of physical controllers.

gBZ2rXI.jpg

I'm assuming that this was written in December and not April, so it's later in the year than I'd have liked but it's still from 2008 which is what counts.

Anyway, I first read this article way back in 2011 while browsing a school computer (possibly the same computer on which I first discovered FutureTimeline.net) and I distinctly remember being so disappointed by Erickson's prediction while at the same time knowing that it was probably true because I didn't see the 2020s being all that different from the 2010s (or the 2000s, for that matter).

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

and accept the fact that there's not a tremendous amount of difference between 1998 games and today's games.

That's, uh... not a very good starting point for an argument. I watched a Let's Play of Banjo: Nuts and Bolts recently, and thought the game had some damn good, true-to-life textures. Whole universe of difference from the blocky textures of 5th gen games, the PS1 and N64 still in their prime in '98. Or the fact that online gaming was a very niche thing reserved only for those very deep into underground nerd culture in 1998, but roughly as mainstream as videogaming itself in 2008... or that the Gameboy Color was released in the former, a portable NES, whereas by 2008 a portable Nintendo 64 was the handheld system of the day...

Anyway, what do you think of the article, or about 2008 games vs. 2020 ones? I'm honestly not that well-versed on games past the 5th generation of consoles. Vast majority of my gaming has been on Steam.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, 2017, 2000, 1994, 1970, 2006, 1996, 1986, Nostalgia, Nostalgic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users