Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Nostalgia Thread

2016 2017 2000 1994 1970 2006 1996 1986 Nostalgia Nostalgic

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

It's not the games themselves that was the arguement. More "how we play them". 

How did you play a 7th gen title? Probably using a 360 or Dualshock 3 controller unless you played the Wii (and even then, you could use the GameCube controller for many titles). I presume it wasn't any different for a 5th gen console considering I still have a couple 2-decade old Dualshock 1 controllers.

How did you buy a 7th gen game? I bet you went to GameStop or Wal-Mart like my dad & I did in 1998. 

How did you look at the games? I don't recall any hologram displays being around in 2008 and VR was an absolute joke. It was the punchline to an AVGN episode and treated as sci-fi schlock in cartoons and movies. So you probably played 7th gen games on a TV screen. No different from a 5th gen game. The resolution just went up to 720p.

The 7th gen game consoles were still little quirky boxes you hooked up to the TV, and you still put discs in them. Or SD cards if you're talking about handhelds. Other than the N64, this was the same thing a decade prior. Other than cartridges instead of SD cards, handhelds were still roughly the same deal.

Graphics, physics, and audio obviously improved tremendously from 1998 to 2008, but the mediums on which we experienced them didn't. 

In 2020, the primary differences from 2008 will be vastly more downloadable titles, fewer physical games, more wireless options, possibly upgradable consoles akin to a PC, online streaming, VR support, and motion controls for VR. So actually, there will be more changes than the article suggested, but still not an utterly shocking amount.

• Casey likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

CorruptedMemory

CorruptedMemory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

If we have advanced this much technology wise since I was born (1987) I can't imagine what 2050 will look like. Cell phones? What's that? We will be making calls from an implanted chip inside the brain and having video calls with each others hologram.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, 2017, 2000, 1994, 1970, 2006, 1996, 1986, Nostalgia, Nostalgic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users