Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NSA's SKYNET Program

NSA Skynet MonsterMind Machine Learning Dystopia

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,481 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Remember when it was revealed that the NSA had a Skynet-esque AI known as 'MonsterMind'?

Well guess the fuck what.

THE NSA HAS AN AI KNOWN AS "SKYNET".

The NSA’s SKYNET program may be killing thousands of innocent people

In 2014, the former director of both the CIA and NSA proclaimed that "we kill people based on metadata." Now, a new examination of previously published Snowden documents suggests that many of those people may have been innocent.
Last year, The Intercept published documents detailing the NSA's SKYNET programme. According to the documents, SKYNET engages in mass surveillance of Pakistan's mobile phone network, and then uses a machine learning algorithm on the cellular network metadata of 55 million people to try and rate each person's likelihood of being a terrorist.
Patrick Ball—a data scientist and the director of research at the Human Rights Data Analysis Group—who has previously given expert testimony before war crimes tribunals, described the NSA's methods as "ridiculously optimistic" and "completely bullshit." A flaw in how the NSA trains SKYNET's machine learning algorithm to analyse cellular metadata, Ball told Ars, makes the results scientifically unsound.

Somewhere between 2,500 and 4,000 people have been killed by drone strikes in Pakistan since 2004, and most of them were classified by the US government as "extremists," the Bureau of Investigative Journalism reported. Based on the classification date of "20070108" on one of theSKYNET slide decks (which themselves appear to date from 2011 and 2012), the machine learning program may have been in development as early as 2007.
In the years that have followed, thousands of innocent people in Pakistan may have been mislabelled as terrorists by that "scientifically unsound" algorithm, possibly resulting in their untimely demise.

• nomad and Saturn like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

This means we need to fix the algorithm, not throw it away. AI will get there eventually.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,481 posts

CaptainYentl

This is strangely reminiscent of Captain America The Winter Soldier...

funkadunkalunk

"strangely reminiscent"? It's virtually copied and pasted out of the script.

INSIGHT engages in mass surveillance of the United State's mobile phone network, and then uses a machine learning algorithm on the cellular network metadata of 300 million people to try and rate each person's likelihood of being a terrorist.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,481 posts

This means we need to fix the algorithm, not throw it away. AI will get there eventually.

It's not the algorithm I'm shocked about. 

• nomad and ironland like this

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

holy shit. the NSA is a scifi nightmare gone real. i mean seriously, does anyone realize how fckd up this whole thing is?

• nomad likes this

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

None of this surprises me at all. The NSA has made it perfectly clear to everybody that they are a power-mad supervillain organisation straight out of the movies, except we don't have any heroes who will valiantly defeat them, instead we have powerless whistleblowers who nobody listens to. It beats me why more people aren't panicking when one of their logos is literally this:

555px-Nothing_is_beyond_our_reach.svg.pn

BWA HA HA HA HA HA!

• Yuli Ban likes this

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

nomad

nomad

The Darkness

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

The whole things is wrong. I'd rather live free and powerful in a dangerous world than under powerless and without meaningful choice in a safe world. This isn't worth it.

Cats.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

The whole things is wrong. I'd rather live free and powerful in a dangerous world than under powerless and without meaningful choice in a safe world. This isn't worth it.

I rather like not having the plane I'm in get hijacked and crashed into a skyscraper, actually.

And since I'm not a terrorist myself, I don't give a damn about "free and powerful".

Bring on the surveillance. Increase it until we can drive terrorism into the ground.

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

but at what cost to our freedom jack

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Whatever happened to "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees?"

I never said that. In fact, I'd much rather live a long and productive life.

Freedom above all, at any cost.

You can't decide that for an entire country. Besides, freedom to do what? Commit treason? Blow things up? Assist terrorists? Why should you have the freedom to do that?

In a free society, an organisation like ISIS should be able to operate normal activities unmolested, it's members unhindered, unless they are committing a terrorist act.Terrorist organisations shouldn't be outlawed, and neither should public recruitment/fund raising drives. The only part that should be a crime is the terror act itself.

Yes, that's a wonderful idea in theory, but the whole point of terrorist organizations is that they exist to do terrorist acts.

Freedom of speech, of though, of free rally must be either absolute, or they may as well not exist at all.

Can I shout fire in a crowded theater? Can I write a newspaper article asserting that you are a mass murderer? Can I post the US nuclear launch codes on Facebook? Can I lie in court under oath? Can I burn down buildings and shoot people in "protest"?

Freedom of speech has a limit. It's just that I personally draw the line rather higher than, say joe00uk.

The government exists to protect its citizens from each other and external enemies. A government that fails to do this is useless at best. Freedom of speech is important, freedom to live is more important. You can choose to die rather than spew whatever you want, but you cannot make that decision for other people.

France has gone down the wrong path with the state of emergency. The deaths of less than 200 people must not have an impact on the freedom of a whole nation. Neither should the deaths of a thousand, ten thousand, or even a hundred thousand.

Freedom to do what again? Commit terrorist acts? Are the lives of those 200 people less important than you getting to do whatever the hell you want?

And where does it end? If New York City gets nuked? If every major city in the United States gets nuked? If half the population dies? If there are only two men left alive, should one have the "freedom" to stab the other? 

And this is what disturbs me about modern liberals - they do not believe in freedom. They believe in safety. What I have to say is this: Those who would give up essential liberty in exchange for a little temporary safety deserve neither.

How can you be free when you cannot feel safe in your own bed? When you have to look over your shoulder every time you go outside?

Is wanting to live a shameful thing? No. Is wanting to do whatever you want regardless of who lives and who dies a shameful thing? Yes.

That last statement is commonly thrown around by libertards, and almost always taken out of context. Here, you're not even quoting it right.

Here, let me summarize this as simply as I can: Your right to swing your arms ends just where the other man's nose begins. --Zechariah Chafee

(See, I didn't alter the meaning of that quote and even attributed it to the right person)

Funnily enough, it was a Libertarian who said that...

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

I rather like not having the plane I'm in get hijacked and crashed into a skyscraper, actually.

And since I'm not a terrorist myself, I don't give a damn about "free and powerful".

Bring on the surveillance. Increase it until we can drive terrorism into the ground.

Gonna second that quote, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither LIberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

You should be more afraid of the government, which is far more powerful and frightening than any ragtag terrorist group.

As of 2012, the U.S. government reserves - and has repeatedly exercised - the right to take anybody from anywhere in the world and hold them indefinitely without trial.

ISIL is nothing much compared to the giant octopus.

(I wouldn't go so far as to say organisations like ISIS or the Nazis should be legal.)

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NSA, Skynet, MonsterMind, Machine Learning, Dystopia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users