Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,652 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

See the subreddit for even more articles and discussion: https://www.reddit.c...MediaSynthesis/

You should also read about my epiphany on media synthesis, personalized content, AI manipulation, etc.

It's time to discuss something I scarcely believed could exist until a couple years ago. In fact, part of me still refuses to believe this will happen. But if I were to give in to that delusion, I'd be denying reality.

What is that reality?

Artificial intelligence will create for us.

There's a lot I can talk about here, and I will touch on the more extreme part right now.

Yes. AI will be creative. Creativity is experience + abstract thought. Thus, the last thing humans excel at will no longer be our sole domain.

But I wanna talk about what happens when we fuse our creativities. 

I wanna play a game. It's a game I've played before, but with new features. Let's take a classic— 1998's Sonic Adventure. One of the first video games I've ever played, and still one of my favorites. It's also the last Sonic the Hedgehog game I played, back in late 2013. Ever since, I've abandoned the franchise, but that is a whole other story.

My point is that I love the game. I also love its sequel. But there's no denying that it's a limited game. It's aged absolutely horribly, and the gameplay is questionable. 

What if I wanted to remake the game, adding new features and functions? Let's say I wanted to take out almost every bottomless pit, instead creating what basically amounts to an open world game? I'd need hundreds thousands of dollars and dozens of artists and programmers to work for me. And even then, I'd only be capable of doing what I wanted if I kept the graphics at their same level, because the amount of content I'd need to add would be too much for any basic hard drive to handle.

But hey, there's a charm to the graphics, so I'd like to switch back and forth. 

"Are you mad?"

Okay, so let's push it back to 2036 then. Now my PC can hold many exabytes of data. But that doesn't change anything. I still need to create the expanded game. 

Well okay. It's 2036, right? I'll create it. How? With algorithms! 

I'll tell the algorithm what to do; give it the game as a base, and describe in-depth what I want. Then let the algorithm create the pieces I want and put it all together. Now I can play that vastly expanded game. Sonic Adventure + Sonic Adventure 2, with all the crap I want added to it. First time in 22 years that I play a Sonic game.

Why stop at existing games? Why not completely new ones? Just describe the game. Describe the features. Describe the environments.

"But I can't write very well."

Then you don't have to. An algorithm can guide you through what you want and generate a list by itself. It still needs your input. It needs the most basic inputs, of course— do you want a first-person shooter, or a platformer, or a real-time strategy game? An MMORPG? Puzzle??

It'll even create the music, sound effects, and voice acting for the game. All sound is just patterns of sound waves. Generating any sound is possible. And of course, you can tell the algorithm exactly what you want and fine-tune it all yourself if you really need to.

It might take some time, but all you need is a master algorithm. You can create the equivalent of today's AAA games on your computer.

This works extremely well with Full Immersion Virtual Reality, when you wish to create whole worlds with your mind. But there's just a problem or two— what happens to all those put out of work by these algorithms? Hmm! That's what we've been debating for years.

"But this sounds impossible."

It's not. I can bring up an endless amount of proof that this AI infringement upon creative works is happening today. A great big example? Deep Dream. The latest iteration can take any picture and spin it into a painting of any style. I want a picture of Earth from Space in the style of the Impressionists. It can do that. 

Or I could pay $500 for a person skilled in mimicking impressionism to do the same. 

Which do you choose? I'd choose the first one in every situation except purposeful antemillennialism. Why? In the case of purposeful antemillennialism, a human doing such a thing is the point. But in other cases, I just want the picture. I don't care about the artistic labor put into it— I just want the art, I don't givva damn who or what creates it. We're still gonna pay $15 million for authentic pieces. 

But if you think we can make a living off that, you're off your rocker. Why put in the time and effort if AI could do it faster and more cheaply? Because it's authentic and human, so you can make some money. But not much. 

Video gaming will benefit from this. Imagine many millions of people sharing their algorithm-created games, often taking others' games and using algorithms to mod them. It's the culture we have today, but massively decentralized. But would the market still be so large? Probably not. You'd have a large number of free games and for those who get too greedy, they'd just get their games copied. 

Then comes the music. Most people aren't musicians. 

I love love love heavy rock, but I'm pisspoor with a guitar. Also, as a black guy, it would take a ridiculous amount of effort to grow my hair out and get it (and keep it) straightened. Also, I'm ugly— keep me away from a camera. And then there's all the realities of being in a musical group. Let's try using an algorithm. I can even get the Super 8mm video. 4 strapping young lads headbanging to ultraheavy '70s rock, being recorded with a vintage camera? Algorithms will provide.

AI Generated Music Based on Listener Feedback

http://www.polygon.c...ge-the-industry

http://motherboard.v...peoples-stories

Edited by Yuli Ban, 13 June 2019 - 10:46 PM.
Added preamble

• Casey, bee14ish, Unity and 1 other like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,032 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It's going to achieve levels of creativity even we humans can't imagine, at ludicrous speeds at that. God-like or whatever you call it.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

It's going to achieve levels of creativity even we humans can't imagine, at ludicrous speeds at that. God-like or whatever you call it.

in about 15 years.

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
gljscue9ljysgq56uvjn.gif

Mario Kart with 101 players
  • Yuli Ban, That-Guy and FrogCAT like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

Imagine that— having a $1,000 algorithm on your computer that's equivalent to a 1,000+ man dev team with hundreds of millions of dollars for a budget. If I had one of these algorithms, I could recreate GTA V from scratch.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raarnt

Raarnt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNorway

With sandbox games of today already utilizing procedurally generated world building to a great extent (for ex. No Man's Sky), I think the possibilities of machine generated worlds is pretty much endless. Current hardware has yet to catch up with VR technology but that's just a matter of time.

• Yuli Ban likes this

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Ive been thinking the same thing.

I've always loved the movie Aliens, telling that same algorithm to create the colony complex on LV426 in VR for multiple players and just letting it run.

I'm a film maker and to get decent CGI costs tens of thousands.

Ive thought for a while now imagine Maya 3D studio max with its own AI agent, an operator for the system, you show it

what you want to it to create and its done for you, I want a T rex like Jurrassic park, it scans images makes the 3D model

and texture maps it ect. ILM level effects in every film makers bedroom, I think soon all programs will come with an AI expert

to handle the really tough stuff stuff and you just function as a creative guide.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

And here's another example

http://imgur.com/gallery/BAJ8j

https://www.reddit.c...utional_neural/

• Whereas likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

Neural Net sharpens BB-8 image

http://i.imgur.com/oOpOEHf.jpg

Basically, it figures out what the image "should" look like.

• Whereas likes this

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

I'm *so* reserving some of my time over the next couple of weekends to mess around with this code... it's the best toy I've seen in a long while.

• Yuli Ban likes this

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

paulaugust

paulaugust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Imagination or creativity is one of the slightest comprehended parts of knowledge and is frequently seen as `intuitive' and not vulnerable to reasonable enquiry. As of late, in any case, there has been a resurgence of enthusiasm for the zone, primarily in manmade brainpower and subjective science, additionally in brain research, theory, software engineering, rationale, arithmetic, humanism, and engineering and outline

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

I'm *so* reserving some of my time over the next couple of weekends to mess around with this code... it's the best toy I've seen in a long while.

Next couple of weekendsI think we're gonna be seeing this a lot more than that, especially as it gets better and more versatile. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

Underwater Castle? This AI Creates Never-Before-Seen 'Super Mario Bros.' Levels

When something is as popular, revered, and utterly inescapable as Super Mario Bros., there’s a tendency for it to become a bit… boring. Thanks to a new AI, though, Mario will be trouncing through new and trippier environs, like an underwater castle.
The AI is an updated version of a system designed by computer scientists Mark Riedl and Matthew Guzdial last year, which taught itself to design more traditional Super Mario Bros. levels after being trained on YouTube videos of people playing through the game. The new AI does the same thing, but with an added twist: it can recognize different “styles” of level design in abstract, and blend their elements together based on the structural similarities between the elements in the models of the different styles.

Better listen to me.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Went to a talk on this yesterday at the World Science Festival

However the scientists gave no solutions on how to achieve creative AI and barely tried. I was hoping to get some positive insight on the topic as im dubious about creative AI, but im always damn negative and criticising so I was hoping to get blown away.

The problem isn't the machine side of things, it is what we ill define as 'creative' that is. We overrate who or what is creative and the answer isn't anymore complex than links like what Yuli Ban has been posting.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

I suck at drawing, so I asked a deep neural net to draw a worldmap for me from this MS Paint sketch

My commentary: a bit of proof on how humans + AI can lead to an explosion of creativity.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

machinemade_v2-1200x12000.jpg

• FrogCAT likes this

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Imagine that— having a $1,000 algorithm on your computer that's equivalent to a 1,000+ man dev team with hundreds of millions of dollars for a budget. If I had one of these algorithms, I could recreate GTA V from scratch.

Do you ever see us advancing to the point where entirely immersive virtual fantasy worlds can be created?

Like this? 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,652 posts

Not only do I see us advancing to that point, but I believe it will happen by 2029. I haven't been posting anything to the World of 2029 series, but that's one of the things I plan on writing about.

• bee14ish likes this

cerealkiller

cerealkiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationUK

Do you ever see us advancing to the point where entirely immersive virtual fantasy worlds can be created?

Like this? 

Thank you for sharing that video, it was so awesome to watch! It's incredible the level of detail we can get from animation these days. I remember first watching the animatrix and being blown away by the detail - that was some years ago now! Look how far we have come in such a small space of time. I can only imagine what level we will be at in the next 10 - 20 years!

I see one problem though, with immersive worlds like this one day becoming a reality, who in their right mind would want to live in the real world? When you can be whatever you want and experience whatever you want in a VR world?! The possibilities will know no bounds. Normal life will be so boring in comparison.

I'm so excited for my kids and their kids who will see this become their reality.

• bee14ish likes this
We create our own future's and therefore our own destinies.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Like this? 

Thank you for sharing that video, it was so awesome to watch! It's incredible the level of detail we can get from animation these days. I remember first watching the animatrix and being blown away by the detail - that was some years ago now! Look how far we have come in such a small space of time. I can only imagine what level we will be at in the next 10 - 20 years!

I see one problem though, with immersive worlds like this one day becoming a reality, who in their right mind would want to live in the real world? When you can be whatever you want and experience whatever you want in a VR world?! The possibilities will know no bounds. Normal life will be so boring in comparison.

I'm so excited for my kids and their kids who will see this become their reality.

I can see myself being one of those people that completely disappears into VR. And who knows, maybe even you yourself can experience this. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Artificial intelligence, deep learning, creativity, entertainment, media synthesis, DeepMind, DeepDream, art, artificial neural network, GAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users