Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

In the 2020s, a person like me— stupendously bad drawing skills and a seeming incapability to grasp depth— will be able to use AI to generate very high quality art and even some animation

Missing the point of being an artist - which is to draw the world as humans see it.

The best artists always find ways of looking at the world that have been previously undiscovered, and yet are peculiarly human ways to look at the world.  Take it from me, I have a PhD in art appreciation. Well, no, not really. A PhD recognized only in my own mind, but it is amazing how much you can learn visiting a bunch of art galleries next door to each other.

Mind you, I am sure there are a lot of you AI folks that are fascinated by how a computer looks at the world.  

• Jakob and Erowind like this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

In the 2020s, a person like me— stupendously bad drawing skills and a seeming incapability to grasp depth— will be able to use AI to generate very high quality art and even some animation

Missing the point of being an artist - which is to draw the world as humans see it.

The best artists always find ways of looking at the world that have been previously undiscovered, and yet are peculiarly human ways to look at the world.  Take it from me, I have a PhD in art appreciation. Well, no, not really. A PhD recognized only in my own mind, but it is amazing how much you can learn visiting a bunch of art galleries next door to each other.

Mind you, I am sure there are a lot of you AI folks that are fascinated by how a computer looks at the world.  

What about how a sentient computer sees the world?

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,904 posts

^^^Whatever.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,704 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I think bolding the keyword "industry" is needed here. 

What AI is going to do is upend the entertainment industry. Industries do not care about artistic representation of the world, for the most part. Artists as a block of creatives won't be affected until general AI arrives.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,904 posts

Oh, I see.  Yes, definitely a difference between commercial entertainment and artistic expression.  I can see where commercial artists could gain from useful algorithms identifying "success" versus "failure" etc.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Fake news 2.0: AI will soon be able to mimic any human voice

The biggest loss caused by AI will be the complete destruction of trust in anything you see or hear

In 2018, fears of fake news will pale in comparison to new technology that can fake the human voice. This could create security nightmares. Worse still, it could strip away from each of us a part of our uniqueness. But companies, universities and governments are already working furiously to decode the human voice for many applications. These range from better integration of our internet-of-things devices to enabling more natural interactions between humans and machines. Technologically adept nation states (the US, China and Estonia) have waded into this space and tech giants such as Google, Amazon, Apple and Facebook also have special projects on voice.

It's not that hard to develop an artificial voice, then model and reproduce spoken words and phrases. I remember being amazed when my original Apple Macintosh informed me of the date and time in a dry, digital tone. Making a natural-sounding voice involves algorithms that are far more complex and computationally expensive. But that technology is available now.
As any speech pathologist will attest, the human voice is far more than vocal-chord vibrations.

Again, while this can be used for dystopian purposes, the first thing I think of is "what kind of impact will this have on voice acting and media dependent upon it?"

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

I think the biggest worry to have is that some really intelligent but unethical people will be able to develop technology like this, and start using it as a weapon against the public, before any kind of legislation can be developed to safeguard against potential abuses. Even so, if it sounds identical, and the technology is seamless, when will we ever know if it is fake or not? 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

I was wondering about AI developing video games earlier, and I came across these:

Meet Angelina, The AI That Makes Games (2017)

Artomatix aims to free artists from the more mundane aspects of games development – by letting AI handle it (2016)

The AI That Designs Its Own Games (2012)

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

This is part of something I have thought about for a while now.  If these AI develop sufficiently, they could be sold for personal use.  Imagine an AI that has scanned your brain, and knows everything about you.  Imagine that AI has the capability to write a book to achieve the optimal degree of entertainment from it, catering to you.  AI could simulate and build personalized books, music, TV shows, and even video games.  It probably wouldn't even have to be SGAI.  Think your favorite game is fun, imagine a game built specifically for you by an AI that's scanned your brain and knows how to achieve maximum entertainment.  It would be 50x more fun than your favorite game.  Admittedly, this may become dangerous, as you may want to do nothing else than interact with your personalized media, but there could be a safeguard so that the AI doesn't create anything too fun.

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

This is part of something I have thought about for a while now.  If these AI develop sufficiently, they could be sold for personal use.  Imagine an AI that has scanned your brain, and knows everything about you.  Imagine that AI has the capability to write a book to achieve the optimal degree of entertainment from it, catering to you.  AI could simulate and build personalized books, music, TV shows, and even video games.  It probably wouldn't even have to be SGAI.  Think your favorite game is fun, imagine a game built specifically for you by an AI that's scanned your brain and knows how to achieve maximum entertainment.  It would be 50x more fun than your favorite game.  Admittedly, this may become dangerous, as you may want to do nothing else than interact with your personalized media, but there could be a safeguard so that the AI doesn't create anything too fun.

Imagine the potential of Elon Musk's neural lace, or something like it, with artificial intelligence. You think of something or perhaps simply perceive something in your environment with your senses, your brain sends the data from your thought or perceptions to some AI in the cloud, it processes it in some creative way, and then it sends some new signals back to your brain and neural lace. Then you experience an augmented or virtual reality that you interact with in real time. In essence, your entire life could become like a video game. Let's just hope there is a way to turn it off or on. Thinking about it on this level, technology really is still in a primitive state.

• rennerpetey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Alright, there is a lot to unpackage here.

Baidu's voice cloning AI adds gender swapping and accent removal

AI Algorithms Are Generating Videos Out of Thin Air

Jukedeck- an AI composer that can make royalty-free music

[Example] Voice synthesis in action, using your voice to speak

Stabilizing neural style-transfer for video

A Dozen Times Generative Artificial Intelligence Startled The World

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

AI Learns Painterly Harmonization

AI can now seamlessly fuse entirely different art styles, effectively removing the "outlier" effect seen in obvious Photoshop manipulations

• Casey and BasilBerylium like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Deep Video Portraits

Transferring motions and actions to a target subject, such as using your own face to synthesize a speech by Obama or Putin

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

/u/SoaringMoon uses CNNs to help create a fictional map
6cflgvy5rsx01.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

AI generates new Doom levels for humans to play

Content creation is hugely expensive for video-game makers. A way to automate some of the process would be hugely valuable, and this could be it.

One of the longest-lasting and most successful video-game franchises is the Doom series, launched in 1993 and still going strong with over 10 million copies sold. The game is a first-person shooter in which a space marine battles to survive against various demons and zombies.
The game is notable because it pioneered 3-D graphics for PCs running MS-DOS, introduced networked multiplay, and even allowed players to create their own game levels. Indeed, large numbers of Doom levels—both official and player-created—are now freely available online, forming a formidable corpus for study and research.
And that raises an interesting possibility. Is it possible to use this data to train a deep-learning algorithm to create its own levels of Doom that a human would find compelling?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

AI Made These Paintings

“AI is going to be one of the larger art movements of this century,” says Barrat

Less than a year after he got his high school diploma and left Shenandoah Junction, W.Va., for Silicon Valley, Robbie Barrat began teaching computers to paint. He fed a few thousand examples of paintings into his artificial intelligence software until it learned how to create landscapes like the one on this issue’s cover. By computer standards, these works of art took a long time to produce: a little more than two weeks. “AI is going to be one of the larger art movements of this century,” says Barrat, a Stanford researcher who goes by @DrBeef_ on Twitter. “It just has really great untapped potential.”

1000x-1.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Using an AI to Enhance a Low Res Image

qs293570jg6z.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Google Duplex A.I. - A Much Deeper Look! | Utilizing the latest in machine learning, this conversational AI has all but beaten the auditory Turing Test by intelligently generating both voices and responses

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

HeadOn: Real-time Reenactment of Human Portrait Videos (Siggraph 2018)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Artificial intelligence, deep learning, creativity, entertainment, media synthesis, DeepMind, DeepDream, art, artificial neural network, GAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users