Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Nineteen Eighty-Four Thread

George Orwell Nineteen Eighty-Four 1984 Animal Farm Dystopia Totalitarianism Big Brother failed civilization

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,619 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Here's where we discuss 1984 and anything related to it.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

I can't explain why I love 1984 so much. Something about this mixture of totalitarianism, a failed civilization, the fact it's a cosmic horror story with absolutely no paranormal elements...

Here are some of my 1984-inspired threads

2114: National Bolshevik Greater Eurasia

Mother Meki-related thread. National Bolsheviks take control of Europe and establish the superstate of Eurasia, and then kickstart World War III. Meanwhile, they create a fascist-primitivist society. 

Scariest thing is: real life National Bolsheviks want to do the exact same thing.

The Eternal War

Civilization 2 thread. Lycerius plays a game of Civ 2 for 10 years, and now it's the distant future. Three superstates exist, engaged in perpetual warfare against each other, leading the world to ruin.

There's a whole subreddit decicated to the game, and I have a savegame myself. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

1984_revision_map_by_generalhelghast-d3g

2212px-1984_fictitious_world_map_v2_quad

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

From the Alternate History forum...

"Images of 1984"

This alternate timeline deals with Orwell's Hell, but with the twist being that there are no superstates. Instead, the UK is just a psychotic, North Korea-esque rogue nation run by a power mad totalitarian regime.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,512 posts
  • LocationLondon

I was planning to read the book soon, it's next on my list.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Have you read Animal Farm? I'm close to recommending it as a must-read before reading Nineteen Eighty-Four

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

vRBtL.jpg

• Maximus, ryan1227 and Recyvuym like this

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

I read 1984 when I was 12 and it made enough of an impression that when I next read it again 12 years later, I could recall just about every detail. Some of the exposition into political commentary went over my head on the first reading / I skipped it at the time because I found it boring.

I tried to read Brave New World when I was 17. But, perhaps because it was a prescribed school text, or perhaps because I found the setting orders of magnitude more miserable than 1984, I never finished it. Maybe I should give it another try. The funny thing is, I think Huxley is a great author. I loved Doors of Perception and Island.

Both men well ahead of their time and their degree of insight and foresight was astonishing. The world is a lesser place without them.

A warning from the man himself:

by Yuli Ban
This alternate timeline deals with Orwell's Hell, but with the twist being that there are no superstates. Instead, the UK is just a psychotic, North Korea-esque rogue nation run by a power mad totalitarian regime.

Ah, so, like it is today.

I kid, I kid.

For now.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

scaled_full_bf147b90dd6755fe16a7.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

4648.jpg

EI___1984_INGSOC_T_Shirt_desig_by_zoopee

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

"For The Love Of Big Brother"

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

National Bolshevism, an ultra-fascist totalitarian ideology popular in Russia that aims to create a superstate known as 'Eurasia'
L7JrcGM.png

http://www.nationalr...t-robert-zubrin

In order to be so united, this Eurasian Union will need a defining ideology, and for this purpose Dugin has developed a new “Fourth Political Theory” combining all the strongest points of Communism, Nazism, Ecologism, and Traditionalism, thereby allowing it to appeal to the adherents of all of these diverse anti-liberal creeds. He would adopt Communism’s opposition to free enterprise. However, he would drop the Marxist commitment to technological progress, a liberal-derived ideal, in favor of Ecologism’s demagogic appeal to stop the advance of industry and modernity. From Traditionalism, he derives a justification for stopping free thought. All the rest is straight out of Nazism, ranging from legal theories justifying unlimited state power and the elimination of individual rights, to the need for populations “rooted” in the soil, to weird gnostic ideas about the secret origin of the Aryan race in the North Pole.
The open devotion to Nazism in Dugin’s thought is remarkable. In his writings he celebrates the Waffen SS, murderers of millions of Russians during the war, as an ideal organization. He also approves of the most extreme crimes of Communism, going so far as to endorse the horrific 1937 purges that killed, among numerous other talented and loyal Soviet citizens, nearly the entire leadership of the Red Army — something that Stalin himself later had second thoughts about.
What Russia needs, says Dugin, is a “genuine, true, radically revolutionary and consistent, fascist fascism.” On the other hand, “Liberalism, is an absolute evil. . . . Only a global crusade against the U.S., the West, globalization, and their political-ideological expression, liberalism, is capable of becoming an adequate response. . . . The American empire should be destroyed.”

Someone read Nineteen Eighty-Four, in particular the Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism, and decided "That's the perfect way to model a country!"
And apparently that guy is Aleksandr Dugin. The fact this guy is serious terrifies me.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Cross these two buildings, and you'll get the Ministry of Truth

image.jpg

201372421726917734_20.jpg

• Recyvuym likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

NATIONAL BOLSHEVIK EURASIAN EMPIRE

eurasian_empire_by_saint_tepes-d75kecc.p

1-Orwell-map-of-empires-from-1984.gif

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

This thread!
http://www.futuretim...en-eighty-four/

joB6Dtug.png

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four, 1984, Animal Farm, Dystopia, Totalitarianism, Big Brother, failed civilization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users