Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Nineteen Eighty-Four Thread

George Orwell Nineteen Eighty-Four 1984 Animal Farm Dystopia Totalitarianism Big Brother failed civilization

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,593 posts

LOL

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Just finished the first chapter

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,619 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Remember this?

Turns out that the piss-soaked hellhole world of Nineteen Eighty-Four can emerge even in unrelated strategy games.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationUK

This book had a major impact on me when I first read it at 19. I was also hiking around Iceland at the time and didn't see a single person or really much evidence of civilisation for almost a week. So I was really able to get lost in the book and it has really stuck in the memory. I've decided to read it again as I go for another hiking trip.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Real talk, in Nineteen Eighty-Four the 3 supernations (Oceania, Eurasia, Eastasia) most likely don't exist. Or at least, not in a form we would recognize. What, you weren't just going to TRUST the Ingsoc, were you? They can't even keep their story straight about who's winning but they switch the narrative around for the thrill of knowing just how firmly they've crushed any will to call them out on it.

• Erowind likes this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Oh, I know. I just prefer the three superpowers explanation because it's so explosively hopeless.

Oceania in One Country or, more realistically, Oceania in a Divided Country are also cool but not as hopeless.

SoWsLin.png

snGM6a4.png

Compare to:

TN7xExW.jpg

• BasilBerylium likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

NOTL002780438f.jpg

Or, in more modern times...

vtehosz4e9kx.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

jcodptq7qnny.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

• BasilBerylium likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Let's stop beating around the bush. You know who Big Brother really is; your mind just simultaneously refuses to accept it at the same time.

kFW41uE.jpg

• zEVerzan and rennerpetey like this

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Best idea for "that Christmas episode" I've ever seen

• Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,619 posts

Neil Gaiman:

yM_45V3eozH_c-EHIB63Us0iwdeyPR7SAQzrlBww

• Erowind likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,512 posts
  • LocationLondon

4fiY4xF.jpg

• Yuli Ban, Maximus, Erowind and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four, 1984, Animal Farm, Dystopia, Totalitarianism, Big Brother, failed civilization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users