Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Graphene

graphene

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I'm not sure if we're good at connecting carbon nanomaterials or if it's easy to make nanotubes from graphene. I'm sure nanotubes meet theoretical requirements for space elevator cable, but I just don't know if we can build it. After all it's not single 36,000km long string, but rather cone (or hyperboloid), how do you make it using nanotubes? Does anyone know how much carbon nanotubes were produced in 2010? Was it couple of grams or kilograms? Or maybe we're better than that?
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Is Graphene generally stronger than other materials, or just in one specific way - tension (being stretched)? Imagine you had two future robots clashing together in deadly hand to hand combat (humor me :) ), one was made of steel, and the other was made from Graphene (that maintained the strong structure at that scale), would the Graphene robot smash the other to bits? How good is Graphene against being cut or smashed? When they say that Graphene is 300 times stronger than steel, it gives the impression that it could become some kind of super armor, but that might just be tension.
NO!

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
Graphene closer to replacing silicon/

http://uk.ibtimes.co...graphene-ma.htm

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

The thing to do is invest is companies making kitchen sinks. Everybody always wants, "everything *and* the kitchen sink". That's where the real money is... Posted Image But seriously, the thing about startups is that most draw their seed money from venture capital, which unless you're a venture capitalist or invest with one, means you have no way of investing in companies like this until after they've popped (had an IPO) and went public.

im curious as to why kitchen sinks?

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

goofydoohdooh

goofydoohdooh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
how small can they scale it down? at what point are its limits of miniaturization?... clock speeds and nano meters are what are so phenomenal.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

im curious as to why kitchen sinks?

http://en.wiktionary...he_kitchen_sink

~Jon

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
http://www.dailymail...t-elephant.html

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

RCM88x

RCM88x

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
After reading trough these articles I believe there are almost infinite applications for Graphine. I could be used in anything from TV screens, computers, to bullet proof vests, and even bullets themselves. If Graphine is used properly and can do what its said to be able to do this could very easily change out world. This is definitely the material of the future, and whats so beautiful is its simplicity.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Graphene will be what plastic has been to society: nothing but absolute greatness.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,567 posts
  • LocationLondon
Scientists create transistor compatible with living cells

Researchers have demonstrated a graphene-based transistor array that is compatible with living biological cells and capable of recording the electrical signals they generate.

A team of scientists from the Technische Universität München (TUM) and the Jülich Research Center published the results in the journal Advanced Materials.

According to a statement, so-called bioelectronic applications have been proposed that would place sensors and, in some cases, actuators inside a person’s brain, eye, or ear to help compensate for neural damage.

Read more: http://www.theengine...e#ixzz1g221UtGT

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,567 posts
  • LocationLondon
Graphene discovery could be vital to future nanotechnology

Researchers from the London Centre for Nanotechnology (LCN) have made a discovery that could help graphene play a key role in the future of nanotechnology.

The team of scientists observed the surface of graphene sheets and found a series of ridges on the material that it believes could help it further exploit the potential of graphene and develop the understanding of superconductivity.

Graphitic materials have an electronic structure that can be readily manipulated through electrostatic or chemical doping, resulting in a rich variety of electronic states.

Read more: http://www.theengine...e#ixzz1g22KTtQU

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

Scientists create transistor compatible with living cells

Researchers have demonstrated a graphene-based transistor array that is compatible with living biological cells and capable of recording the electrical signals they generate.

A team of scientists from the Technische Universität München (TUM) and the Jülich Research Center published the results in the journal Advanced Materials.

According to a statement, so-called bioelectronic applications have been proposed that would place sensors and, in some cases, actuators inside a person’s brain, eye, or ear to help compensate for neural damage.

Read more: http://www.theengine...e#ixzz1g221UtGT

Wow, that sounds awesome! I'm guessing there's a long way to go with the research but the implications of this are phenomenal!
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
^^ Indeed. It might not even have to be that far away. I'm just thinking of what kind of brain or neural damage could be fixed. Paralysis probably wouldn't be a problem ever again (of course, that will probably be cured before these transistors become wide-spread).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Lookie what I found.

http://www.nature.co...g-fibres-1.9549

Maybe a space elevator is possible with this material.

What difference does it make?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Oh it is theoretically strong enough. But there are various other issues that make space elevator incredibly diffictult. Counterweight, laws, protection, crawlers, wether conditions...
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Right now, it's weaker than carbon fibers. Maybe it will NEVER reach the 100s of times stronger than steel level that has been claimed before. We can but hope though.

Edited by Deadbolt, 10 December 2011 - 10:48 AM.

NO!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Well tensile strength for steel varies between 1,000 and 5,000 MPa, while for carbon nanotubes it's over 60,000 and as much as 130,000 MPa for graphene. But as I said finding material for cable may not be enough to build elevator :(

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The strength cited is for individual perfect nanotubes or graphene sheets. Scaling that strength may prove impossible before we even have to start worrying about mechanisms for a space elevator, and if it can't be all that strong then isn't a miracle material for bullet proof vests either.
NO!

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta
On separating the carbon to single layers:

The 2010 recipients of the Nobel Prize in Physics were messing around one Friday afternoon and put scotch tape on a block of carbon then ripped it off. Looked at the tape under a microscope, and bam, graphene. I know it's incredible and you'll want to tell others so... here's the source.

Also, I use that site for all my graphene related reading. I love graphene. Wrote a research essay on it. Took weeks but so interesting. That was a year ago and the research on this material has advanced a lot. I have no doubt that graphene will be used in computing and that it will be a game changer

The research into it's basic properties are still ongoing.
We still need set-ups for large scale production, that would take several years to develop and build.
I'd say: graphene in niche market computers in 6-7 years.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,567 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://image.guardia...11/Graphene.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graphene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users