Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ghost In The Shell

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,605 posts
  • LocationLondon

Ghost In The Shell Begins Production

04/14/2016

While she's still in the thick of her publicity tour for Captain America: Winter Soldier, Scarlett Johansson's next big genre project is getting underway.

Today, Paramount Pictures announced that The Ghost in the Shell has started filming, providing fans with their first look at the anticipated adaptation.

The film is based onShirowMasamune’s cyberpunkmanga of the same name.

Ghost in the Shell follows Section 9, a branch of the Japanese National Public Safety Comission that combat cybercrime and cyberterrorism. The team’s field leader is Commander Motoko Kusanagi. While almost all of the members of Section 9 have cybernetic implants, Kusanagi has replaced her entire original body with one that is fully artificial.

The film and manga, which has also been adapted into anime, deals with existential questions of what it means to be human in a world that is increasingly dependent on technology.

Read more: http://comicbook.com...ins-production/

qKQG4XV.jpg

• Soundwave and Outlook like this

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm really not optimistic about this movie adaptation. I'm setting my expectations low that's for sure. Don't really think Johansson was a good pick for the lead.

• Recyvuym likes this

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Me either. Must we always have a US version of everything America likes? It's condescending.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

America has won a Cultural Victory!

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/DGe_Sluth3A

s.smith

s.smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My goodness - stunning image!!!!!

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I think it will be good. Most sci-fi is good for me.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Soundwave

Soundwave

Am I banned now?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

lokjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkkj

• ddmkm122 likes this

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I expect it to be a bit of a mixed bag.

I feel like the acting will be done up too flashy for the more brooding noir story style that GitS is, and instead the movie will be heavy on action and special effects. Whch in some ways is both a Pro and Con. The original ghost in the shell anime is perfect the way it is. It doesn't need to be redone. So having a different flavor of GitS, let it be it's own thing.

But we have to be realistic. we are dealing with a celebrity actress and big budget movie. we are not going to have the same level of invasive and raw story and character exposure as we can get away with in an animation. The scene at the end with the major stripped to skin in the sprinkling water desperately trying to tear a tank apart with nothing but hands, and muscles tearing under the skin and limbs shattering and tearing away. It will be SJ in a specially designed suit with a simple limb ripped off or cut in half.

By the same token though I fully expect it to be a visual feast for set and prop and costume design fans like me. There is a whole universe of beautiful story and background, fully fleshed out. I can't even wait to see a live action cyberbrain and prosthetics.

I'm sorta scrooged that they slapped SJ into the lead role, it's a major wtf were they thinking kind of thing. It doesn't even make sense. You have to actually try harder to come up with that as a possibility than any option that would make way more sense. That and you'd have to be completely disconnected from the fan base and have never really experienced the movie to make a choice like that. It's likely to be nagging at me as I watch the movie, like watching Bruce Willis starring as Lara Croft in the next Tomb Raider movie would, taking me out of the flow of the story because of the incongruity; but I will probably still go to see it.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I expect it to be a bit of a mixed bag.

I feel like the acting will be done up too flashy for the more brooding noir story style that GitS is, and instead the movie will be heavy on action and special effects. Whch in some ways is both a Pro and Con. The original ghost in the shell anime is perfect the way it is. It doesn't need to be redone. So having a different flavor of GitS, let it be it's own thing.

But we have to be realistic. we are dealing with a celebrity actress and big budget movie. we are not going to have the same level of invasive and raw story and character exposure as we can get away with in an animation. The scene at the end with the major stripped to skin in the sprinkling water desperately trying to tear a tank apart with nothing but hands, and muscles tearing under the skin and limbs shattering and tearing away. It will be SJ in a specially designed suit with a simple limb ripped off or cut in half.

By the same token though I fully expect it to be a visual feast for set and prop and costume design fans like me. There is a whole universe of beautiful story and background, fully fleshed out. I can't even wait to see a live action cyberbrain and prosthetics.

I'm sorta scrooged that they slapped SJ into the lead role, it's a major wtf were they thinking kind of thing. It doesn't even make sense. You have to actually try harder to come up with that as a possibility than any option that would make way more sense. That and you'd have to be completely disconnected from the fan base and have never really experienced the movie to make a choice like that. It's likely to be nagging at me as I watch the movie, like watching Bruce Willis starring as Lara Croft in the next Tomb Raider movie would, taking me out of the flow of the story because of the incongruity; but I will probably still go to see it.

She did a good job in the movie about artificial intelligence "Her". 

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I'm not sure what your point there is. Doing well at a role that has nothing in common with this movie says nothing.

SJ is a human being and my point in pointing that out is that we can't draw her doing whatever we want for the sake of the story. She's also famous enough where she won't do anything she thinks is beneath her. Cartoons don't have that issue.

The character she is playing, is supposedly a Japanese lesbian with little to no concern modesty when in the course of her job. The skin on her body is capable of making her invisible, thus she often runs around in just her skin on the job. We shouldn't ask that of SJ.

Basically the character and the personality of the character SJ plays will be the SJ version, and thus the movie and setting will be made to accomodate that. It's the case for most time when a movie is remade, but in this case we are shifting from a format with no real people to people embodying the characters. Some of the freedom is lost in the process. The character risks being stifled by the actors.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I'm not sure what your point there is. Doing well at a role that has nothing in common with this movie says nothing.

SJ is a human being and my point in pointing that out is that we can't draw her doing whatever we want for the sake of the story. She's also famous enough where she won't do anything she thinks is beneath her. Cartoons don't have that issue.

The character she is playing, is supposedly a Japanese lesbian with little to no concern modesty when in the course of her job. The skin on her body is capable of making her invisible, thus she often runs around in just her skin on the job. We shouldn't ask that of SJ.

Basically the character and the personality of the character SJ plays will be the SJ version, and thus the movie and setting will be made to accomodate that. It's the case for most time when a movie is remade, but in this case we are shifting from a format with no real people to people embodying the characters. Some of the freedom is lost in the process. The character risks being stifled by the actors.

Well there are not many movies which stick stringently to the original source. I dont expect that will happen here either.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

Another tempest in a teapot controversy as far as I am concerned. People should deal with real issues rather than dealing with what nationality a character in a Westernized adaptation of a movie is going to be. 

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts

Another tempest in a teapot controversy as far as I am concerned. People should deal with real issues rather than dealing with what nationality a character in a Westernized adaptation of a movie is going to be. 

that's a bullshit argument. http://tvtropes.org/...ToWorseProblems

stop using it. it's sloppy thinking, and it's dismissive of others.

Raarnt

Raarnt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNorway

This had me worried for a sec. 

‘Ghost in the Shell’ Producers Reportedly Tested Visual Effects That Would Make White Actors Appear Asian

http://screencrush.c...-johnasson-vfx/

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts

fptoyfmtogfarmr6j9f6.PNG

that is a decent Batou. I've no idea if they plan to do the eyes in post or just go with more human looking eyes. Either way he looks like the characters, it remains to be seen if the acting is any good.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Agreed, casting at least looks pretty faithful so far.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,605 posts
  • LocationLondon

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,032 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Well, anime fans will always be anime fans.

As for myself, until I've seen the movie and make an opinion, I think nothing beats the anime version - ironically it's the real thing.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,605 posts
  • LocationLondon

‘Ghost in the Shell’ Super Bowl Trailer with Scarlett Johansson

February 2, 2017

Paramount Pictures launched the Ghost in the Shell Super Bowl trailer online prior to its 2017 Super Bowl debut. The new 30 second TV spot doesn’t reveal anything new about the storyline but does show more of Scarlett Johansson in action. Directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman), the cast also includes Pilou Asbæk, Takeshi Kitano, Michael Pitt, and Juliette Binoche. Ghost in the Shell will open in theaters on March 31, 2017 in 2D, RealD 3D, and IMAX.

http://www.showbizju...r-bowl-trailer/

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,605 posts
  • LocationLondon

I just finished watching the Stand Alone Complex animated series.

Absolutely brilliant and thoroughly enjoyed it.

How many of you guys have seen it?

• Raklian, Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users