Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Interstellar foreign policy

interstellar diplomacy first contact fermi paradox jakob is messed up

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

voluntaryist

voluntaryist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

I read Rare Earth and find it to be a very good explanation of the Fermi Paradox, so I think that that probably renders this moot. 

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

I read Rare Earth and find it to be a very good explanation of the Fermi Paradox, so I think that that probably renders this moot. 

I briefly thought the same thing, but the sheer number of planets in the galaxy might cancel out its rarity; using the Drake Equation, I once calculated that there would be about 45 civilizations in the galaxy at any one time.

• PyroRobot likes this

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I briefly thought the same thing, but the sheer number of planets in the galaxy might cancel out its rarity; using the Drake Equation, I once calculated that there would be about 45 civilizations in the galaxy at any one time.

Can i see the math please?

I am done goodbye.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

Here's a handy calculator that allows you to play around with the numbers.

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Here's a handy calculator that allows you to play around with the numbers.

Slightly off topic:

I found this website which investigates each term in the equation very well and explains them. I would recommend it to anyone to read it first to acquaint yourself with the parameters before jumping into the equation :)

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

The question you're not asking is what would prevent such a civilization from self-imploding?

An updated answer, based upon my latest reflections: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

It's still what a rational actor would do.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

We're as a species have three options.

1. Become one under one STRONG government for all of humanityt and move out into space. Sure, they'll be colonies but they will answer to the central government.

2. Become one under a weak government and move outwards to create colonies...Such would end up creating the possibility of break aways..

3. Remain hundreds of nations on earth and a few will go into space taking over planets, asteroids, etc.

Within my mind 3. is the least stable as earth won't have one voice but many...It could get very messy.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

consider this for a second...

Any colonies will be probably for the same reason as the GOLD mining towns of the old west came into place and some of them grew into cities. I could imagine within a few hundred years the governments of earth or the world government(what ever path we follow) will be collecting a great deal of wealth from outside of our planet.

Do they give that up? I don't think so.

What makes three the nastiness is the fact that super powers  will attempt to take what the other nation has and that could lead to war also here on earth. The advantages of a world government is such wouldn't have to compete where 80%+ of humanity lives. It would be more colonies against the all powerful central government of earth and the more powerful that central government would be the less likely of colonies successfully breaking off.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interstellar diplomacy, first contact, fermi paradox, jakob is messed up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users