Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

La Belle Époque

La Belle Époque World War I 19th century 20th century Europe West America

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,712 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

La Belle Époque was a period of Western European history. It is conventionally dated from the end of the Franco-Prussian War in 1871 to the outbreak of World War I in around 1914.

We in USica barely know anything about this time period, even in our own history. American history usually goes

Mayans & Aztecs in 3,000 BC or something > Lief Erikson > Christopher Columbus > Pilgrims, Squanto, Pocahontas, and Turkeygiving > Puritans > George Washington and his droogs create America in 1776 > Louisiana Purchase > Andrew Jackson > War Of Northern Aggression, known by anti-state's rights revisionists as the 'Civil War' > Lincoln Dies > Cowboys 'n Indians > Teddy Roosevelt > World War I > Jazz 'n Cars > Great Depression, New Deal, and Dust Bowl > World War II: Ultimate Valor > Cold War > Vietnam War with hippies and rock music > Disco > Reagan > We Won The Cold War > 9/11 > Obama

There you go, that's what the average American knows of history. Notice how I didn't go into detail. That wasn't just because I was trying to get to the point, but also because that's legitimately how much the average USican knows of history. 

There are wide swaths of history that average USicans know absolutely nothing about. The Belle Époque is one of those times. Bring up the 1870's to 1914, and the only thing the average USican can guess about those years is that we got Teddy Roosevelt and that there were a lot of Cowboys shooting Indians. How we got to World War I, we don't exactly know. There were alliances, right? And Germany was evil and something... Were they friends with Japan and Italy yet?

In fact, that time period from 1871 to 1914 is unbelievably complex, and you can definitely see fate planting the seeds of our modern world. It was a Post-Napoleonic, Post-1848 era.

It may be that geopolitics prior to 1914 are rather alien to us that the period doesn't resonate with people well. This era was a time of Old meeting New, where you had powerful royal families ruling alongside powerful industrial capitalists, something we don't see today since the industrial capitalists ultimately won out.

Things were optimistic back then. As optimistic as they are now, to be precise, though without the caveat of there being digital technology.

However, if you were interested in technology, there might as well have been supercomputers during that era. It was during this time that we saw the development of things like modern automobiles and aeroplanes. The sci-tech world was on fire, and we were so sure that human civilization was living in a golden age. We were sure of how good things were and believed things would get even better.

Of course, we were innocent. We were developing mechanized, industrial armies of death that would prove capable of mowing down millions of men in hours, but we had never seen them in action before. 

At least, those who would eventually fight had never seen them in action. European generals failed to learn from the US civil war because they thought it was simply an unusually violent affair that had no bearings on European warfare. Even after the Russo-Japanese War saw some of the same things happen— machine guns, trench warfare, and the like— they refused to learn.

So in the meantime, we got a chance to relax. There was colonialism and imperialism that Europe profited from, but that didn't help them stay above the US.

It was during this period that the US overtook the UK as being the world's largest economy, for example. And this was also during the middle of the Second Industrial Revolution. 

Things had never been better, despite things like the Great Panic of 1894. 

One of the things I love the most from this era is the artwork. This was right at the very beginning of our ugly-ass modern art, as well as towards the very end of the classical, traditional age of art. The rich were partying excessively, and the poor were working excessively.

Intellectuals were flourishing, and so many things we take for granted (brand name foods, brands, banks, companies, etc.) were formed. 

There were few big wars during this time, and geopolitics seemed stable.

But, of course, the people of this era did not have things such as artificial intelligence to aid in their understanding (and misunderstanding) of their own increasingly complex society, and we were too unused to so many developments (such as the development of trusts and unregulated banking) to know exactly what to do. We viewed the world as our plaything, and the future as our right.

It should be noted that this era is probably the closest to steampunk we've ever gotten as a species.

It's also an era that wasn't as rosy as its name suggests. After all, it's during this time that things like ultranationalism, racial eugenics, and excessive pseudo-science entered the mainstream.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

I think Americans know more history than you think; it is often required in high school in one form or another. But then again, perhaps the knowledge is just fresh in my mind because I took US History last year.

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

In highschool we learned about the era between 1870-world war 1. In general it went over industrallization, the gilded age, Mckinley's assassination and the acquisition of pacific territories, cuba and puetro rico.

I am done goodbye.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020 is here; I still suck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Ninguna epoca es tan bella como la del presente.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Yes TG.

I am done goodbye.

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

This is very relevant.

I am done goodbye.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

This era I've known about, talk about he middle ages though and you'll lose me. Do you know how suprised I was to learn that Spain held parts of Holland at one time. https://en.wikipedia...ish_Netherlands

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

This era I've known about, talk about he middle ages though and you'll lose me. Do you know how suprised I was to learn that Spain held parts of Holland at one time. https://en.wikipedia...ish_Netherlands

I was aware of that. I didn't know that Austria also had a chunk of the Netherlands once.

• Erowind likes this

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Nothing to say so i will just say this

I am done goodbye.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Nothing to say so i will just this

What the hell is wrong with you? Since when do you get off as being relevant? "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." -Matthew 7:5

When i saw the title i immediately realized the connection between the French and Spanish languages. In your ignorance you condemn me as being irrelevant and as such superfluous or maybe irresponsible i don't know as your poor attempt at critcism "flew over the cooko's nest". This connection that i made made me feel compelled to juxtapose the languages in order to contrast their similarities and differences.

Of course explaining myself to you is futile.

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." -John 8:44

"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?" -Matthew 23:33

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

What the hell is wrong with you? Since when do you get off as being relevant? "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." -Matthew 7:5

When i saw the title i immediately realized the connection between the French and Spanish languages. In your ignorance you condemn me as being irrelevant and as such superfluous or maybe irresponsible i don't know as your poor attempt at critcism "flew over the cooko's nest". This connection that i made made me feel compelled to juxtapose the languages in order to contrast their similarities and differences.

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." -John 8:44

"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?" -Matthew 23:33

Grasping at straws.

I am done goodbye.

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Did not discuss the topic just said "oh look its similar to spanish"

I am done goodbye.

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Bible verses wow how scary

I am done goodbye.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him." Proverbs 26:4

For anyone who is seriously curious about the linguistic connection it is more than a simple similarity in the spelling. The whole pronunciation is quite similar. The words have much the same meaning. Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, are all languages which have, i presume, connections through their origins and it is quite striking what one can glean from the simple comprehension of one of the languages.

I will not contest that it was off topic. It was never meant to be "on topic". I have never restricted myself to a stringent syntax in my posts when it comes to relevance. My words are a result of the fluidity of my natural responses. The folly is of your own creation. 

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

I think Americans know more history than you think; it is often required in high school in one form or another. But then again, perhaps the knowledge is just fresh in my mind because I took US History last year.

My American history is limited from 1779 onwards but do you learn anything pre-1779?

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him." Proverbs 26:4

For anyone who is seriously curious about the linguistic connection it is more than a simple similarity in the spelling. The whole pronunciation is quite similar. The words have much the same meaning. Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, are all languages which have, i presume, connections through their origins and it is quite striking what one can glean from the simple comprehension of one of the languages.

I will not contest that it was off topic. It was never meant to be "on topic". I have never restricted myself to a stringent syntax in my posts when it comes to relevance. My words are a result of the fluidity of my natural responses. The folly is of your own creation. 

Wow, how intimidating. Please give more bible verses, it fuels my autistic sperg levels

• Maximus likes this

I am done goodbye.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

My American history is limited from 1779 onwards but do you learn anything pre-1779?

These days, US history starts with the colonization of the Americas. The first colonization, that is, via the Bering Land Bridge. The Revolutionary War is like three units in.

• Time_Traveller likes this

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

"US history" only? So, no one of you studied the mandatory "world history" or something like that in your schools? This is interesting...

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

"US history" only? So, no one of you studied the mandatory "world history" or something like that in your schools? This is interesting...

No, I also took world history, but that was a few years ago.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,712 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

If you're fresh out of school, it makes sense you would remember a lot that was taught. But after a while, it leaves you.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: La Belle Époque, World War I, 19th century, 20th century, Europe, West, America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users