Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Benefits of Anarchy in a Forum

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020 is here; I still suck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."- Isaac Asimov

If that is true in the real world then in forums we can say that "Repression of rationality is the first refuge of the incompetent."

One could compile a list of grievances in which the use of authority (when incompetent) is demonstrated either through influence or through actual action. First let us distinguish between the notion that authority and force themselves are bad. This is not the case for a few reasons.

1. Authority is often necessary for when the inevitable arrival of one who disregards rationality and descends into mere debauchery must be dealt with.

2. As the nature of the situation often requires force must be used by said authority to deal with said belligerent individual or group.

Here is the general problem of incompetent authority which must be dealt with in a plurality of forums.

Authority is not bound by rationality. If i speak reason authority can nevertheless use their appeal for manipulation. Let me spell out a few common deviances.

1. The use of reason is not considered the ultimatum in an issue/conversation when regarded by authority. An authority may claim that an argument or a conversation leads to a disruption of the peace of the forum. ("Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin)To anarchy within the forum, and towards a less cohesive place of communication. Herein lies the fallacy. Reason itself or rather the application of reason itself cannot lead to an entropy of order. This is true because when reason is applied then the reason should be accepted and not contested by "feelings".

Yes here is the second tactic implemented by incompetent authority.

2. The authoritative figure "feels" that the use of reason has nefarious intentions or is not spoken with a certain objective that he approves of. This is of course a fallacy. What an arrogant audacious coward. To think that the feelings or derived observation of an authoritative figures trumps reason? I cannot think of such a damning attitude. Your authority grants you the ability to act on your incompetence.

Now let us speak of the passive observers or the other non-authoritative members of a forum. The incompetence of authority is again shown in its entirety here. It is a common tactic for members of a forum or let us delegate a more common term to the populace let us refer to them as the majority, to speak in favor of the object or individual towards which the rationality is being used. You see often times the majority have no care for reason. They care for a member of the forum more than they do for freedom of expression. If they perceive that a member is being shown to be irrational then they appeal to the authority to reprimand the user of rationality. The authority in his incompetence obliges as he does the bidding of the majority. I am sure the name Pontius Pilate is familiar. Yes this is one of the seminal examples of where the bidding of the majority superimposes reason. 

You often hear authority or the majority say something along the lines of "If one person complains it is a fluke, if 2 people complain it is a problem". This is perhaps one of the most dangerous notions i have heard by those who object to the inherent superiority of reason. No! If 1 or if 5 billion complain about the user of reason that should hold no bearing on the analysis and validity of his reasoning. 

"Sanity is not statistical"- George Orwell

Anarchy is a necessity given the fickle nature of those with authority. Take for example that this simple post will surely ignite a fire within those who are in positions of authority simply because their "feelings" got hurt. I even went out of my way not to include specific examples because i know that the authority who hold dominion over this forum is not the paragon of rationality. This was a cowardly act on my part and yet I reserve my expression in order to prevent my death no matter how unjust it may be.

Lastly i will leave you guys with this question. Who will guard the guardians?

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

too meta

• Recyvuym likes this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

too meta

Not enough info for me to actually make a cohesive response. 

• Frizz likes this

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

It's a forum, dude. Citing Orwell, Pilate, Franklin etc. is blowing things a little out of proportion.

If there's a problem with this forum, it's the self-consciousness. Too many self-referential posts fretting about how FutureTimeline is "so mean these days" or it's "not as good as it used to be." Just relax. Chill.

• Lunix688, Jakob and Infinite like this

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

It's a forum, dude. Citing Orwell, Pilate, Franklin etc. is blowing things a little out of proportion.

If there's a problem with this forum, it's the self-consciousness. Too many self-referential posts fretting about how FutureTimeline is "so mean these days" or it's "not as good as it used to be." Just relax. Chill.

"It gets to a point where it doesn't matter anymore whether you're right about the topic at hand." - Recyvuym

Perhaps you need to reread my post. It may be pertinent.

Oh how it irks. You yourself have cited Orwell and others with regularity. How can i abstain from "questioned their character so brazenly" (Recyvuym 2016) when the fodder is rife.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Go for it, I guess. I've cited Orwell in regards to things like the global panopticon. You're citing him in reference to forum etiquette. I don't think that was quite what he had in mind.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Go for it, I guess. I've cited Orwell in regards to things like the global panopticon. You're citing him in reference to forum etiquette. I don't think that was quite what he had in mind.

You cited him when i was speaking "pretentiously" in a forum. I hardly think the medium is as important as the message.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

So far i have heard no actual contribution to the topic at hand. Only questioning of my temperament and the description of the post or myself, i do not know, as "meta". Perhaps i am missing something here. 

Edit: I don't know if you guys are taking this as a joke or what, but you guys are obviously not taking it very seriously. This was meant to be a serious post and the only reason i did not post it in suggestions was because i recognized the character of wjfox and other mods and realized that such a proposition was impassable. Hence i relegated the conversation to mere hypothetical discussion. 

@ Recyvuym I have seen these posts about how the forum has deteriorated or what not but that really has no connection to my post. Either way do you recognize that grievances are often times self-referential as you put it. Do you believe that this detracts from their validity? Do you believe that Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death" was excluded as being valid due to the grievances being experienced by himself? 

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Again, in that case, the citation of Orwell was pretty pertinent. You were wording your argument pretentiously, and I linked to an essay by Orwell about pretentious wording.

I don't mind the grievances you're expressing, I just think a much simpler post could've done the trick. I was refraining from saying this, but my point was it's a bit pretentious.

Ehh... you know what, never mind. I knew I shouldn't have said anything.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
^So again this is about my presentation? About my charachter? About every irrelevant thing possible?

If arguments could be dismissed by such critiques what kind of a world would we live in. "The Singularity is Near" Ah bullocks that pretentious work.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

^So again this is about my presentation?

Yes, that one.

Okay, I'll bite. I generally agree with your point, as I said with too many people going on about how 'mean' FutureTimeline can be. But I caution against disregarding civility altogether. 'Anarchy' is certainly one way to run a forum, and I've seen it done. But that isn't somewhere I would choose to spend my time.

Sure, I go off at people probably more than almost anyone here. That's my bad. I'm cutting back on it. Going to stop being such a crusader in general. It's an exhausting waste of energy and it puts me in a bad mood and makes me come across as an asshole. A kneejerk reaction to reading posts that make me want to rinse my eyes with bleach, but it's completely pointless.

So my personal rule of thumb is, be as nasty as you like to someone, but as soon as that person asks you to stop it, stop. And be aware when you do it that snarking lowers the general mood of the place and makes you look bad. This is what I've come to from reflecting on my own behaviour.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

^So again this is about my presentation?

Yes, that one.

Okay, I'll bite. I generally agree with your point, as I said with too many people going on about how 'mean' FutureTimeline can be. But I caution against disregarding civility altogether. 'Anarchy' is certainly one way to run a forum, and I've seen it done. But that isn't somewhere I would choose to spend my time.

Sure, I go off at people probably more than almost anyone here. That's my bad. I'm cutting back on it. Going to stop being such a crusader in general. It's an exhausting waste of energy and it puts me in a bad mood and makes me come across as an asshole. A kneejerk reaction to reading posts that make me want to rinse my eyes with bleach, but it's completely pointless.

So my personal rule of thumb is, be as nasty as you like to someone, but as soon as that person asks you to stop it, stop. And be aware when you do it that snarking lowers the general mood of the place and makes you look bad. This is what I've come to from reflecting on my own behaviour.

I don't mean disregard civility. Or rather your perceived notion of it. In fact this particular post is about as civil as any could be. I don't go out of my way to be nasty to people no matter what you might think. I may be brusque in my wording but this is not hate towards people. I hate the ideas and the lack of reason. I do not hate the people. In fact i seem to be one of the most trusting, loving, and self deprecating when it comes to people. This is not meant to be bragging. Merely a statement of facts. You are a noted cynic. In the latest update the people who would give their lives are far and few. "Skin for skin!" Satan replied. "A man will give all he has for his own life.- Job 2:4 Now i am not criticizing those people merely remarking on my general appreciation for the human condition. A noted optimist. 

It is because of my love for people that i spare no sympathy for their irrational behavior. 

Of course my own behavior is irrational. Take it as you may but we exists as humans and we can only speak as humans.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

In fact this particular post is about as civil as any could be.

Wasn't suggesting it was.

You are a noted cynic. In the latest update the people who would give their lives are far and few. "Skin for skin!" Satan replied. "A man will give all he has for his own life.- Job 2:4

No, I probably would sacrifice myself to save a hundred people, but it would depend on the people. Are we talking about a board of directors for an oil company? Fuck 'em.

Your intentions are admirable but the results are the same. Yes I'm an unapologetic cynic. When I was 19, I had a lot more love and tolerance for the human race. But my sympathy for people has worn very thin since then.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

Works well on a forum and believe it or not when it comes to social issues it works ok within the general society...Just never when it comes to economic issues.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Wait, are you suggesting the mod team is incompetent / should be removed? Because no, I don't agree with that at all, in this case or on principle.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Wait, are you suggesting the mod team is incompetent / should be removed? Because no, I don't agree with that at all, in this case or on principle.

So you disagree with my points?

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I think you may be overthinking this a bit.

This is a internet forum. It really isn't that deep. 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I think you may be overthinking this a bit.

This is a internet forum. It really isn't that deep.

I value reason no matter the medium.

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I would very much like to see an example of incompetence of the authority of this forums. Especially the tatics you mentioned.
  • Frizz and Recyvuym like this

I am done goodbye.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I would very much like to see an example of incompetence of the authority of this forums. Especially the tatics you mentioned.

See the end of my post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users