Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hacking & Cyberwarfare News and Discussions

CIA hacking hacker NSA surveillance spyware cyberwarfare cyberattack cyber cyberterrorism

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

In testimony to congress on Tuesday, America's cyber-command chief and director of national intelligence told congressmen that the country was inadequately prepared for a major attack.

"We must do much more to sustain our momentum in an environment where adversary capabilities continue to evolve as fast or faster than our own," Gen Keith Alexander, the commander of US cyber-command, told the Senate armed services committee.

http://www.telegraph...ptember-11.html

----

I tend to agree with his assessment. A major cyber-attack could in theory target the U.S. power-grid and program key components such as transformers to fail potentially cutting off power to millions of people. If this happened in the winter, this could be especially catastrophic in northern states especially in large cities such as New York and Boston, where there isn't the capacity to run fireplaces. Not to mention that thousands would die if power was lost in hospitals for prolonged periods of time and fuel could not be brought in. The worst nightmare though would be if a cyberattack was able to get at the nuclear power plants and cause failures which in turn caused meltdowns the economic and human ramifications of that would eclipse 9/11 by many times over. Worst of all is the U.S. has little to no capability to deal with any of this, they can barely deal with Chinese cyber espionage for cripes sake, in 2000 a lone Canadian teen took down many commercial websites and got close to taking down several of the U.S. government and military I can only imagine what capabilities big cyber terrorist cells, or foreign governments could do in a cyber war situation today. Do you think that cyber is perhaps more dangerous than physical terrorism now?

Edited by MarcZ, 15 March 2013 - 06:57 AM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Never realised just how big a threat cyberterrorism could potentially be. I'm hoping they'll figure out a way to increase cyber security to prevent things like this happening. Would be catastrophic.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

this sounds more like a person in charge of a division or task force justifying their budget to people who are completely incapable of understanding the situation.

Hacking isn't like the movies where some kid in Tulsa can make trains go off the rail in japan. In this day and age we've somehow got it in our heads that you can do anything with a computer if you know how to use it. But really a lot of the infrastructure of the US at least is mechanical, and what is electrical isn't programmably regulated.

Your desk lamp might be electric but I can't hack it to blow up and shoot hot glass shard, or to set your house on fire. Well, I can't do that without being in your house for over an hour with tools and stuff.

The biggest threat most hackers pose is exposing classified documents and personal data, shutting down websites and emails, disrupting communication lines and bank accounts. In short cyber terrorists are mostly a danger to information and communication.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada
this sounds more like a person in charge of a division or task force justifying their budget to people who are completely incapable of understanding the situation.

Hacking isn't like the movies where some kid in Tulsa can make trains go off the rail in japan. In this day and age we've somehow got it in our heads that you can do anything with a computer if you know how to use it. But really a lot of the infrastructure of the US at least is mechanical, and what is electrical isn't programmably regulated.

Your desk lamp might be electric but I can't hack it to blow up and shoot hot glass shard, or to set your house on fire. Well, I can't do that without being in your house for over an hour with tools and stuff.

The biggest threat most hackers pose is exposing classified documents and personal data, shutting down websites and emails, disrupting communication lines and bank accounts. In short cyber terrorists are mostly a danger to information and communication.

Completely disagree, we have already seen computer viruses attacking nuclear sites in Iran, it isn't something that can't happen or is science fiction, it is very possible, and probably already doable. Also, the electrical grid I believe has a lot of computer controls in it and isn't just nuclear. That is what we are talking about here not things like lamps.

Edited by MarcZ, 18 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Completely disagree, we have already seen computer viruses attacking nuclear sites in Iran, it isn't something that can't happen or is science fiction, it is very possible, and probably already doable. Also, the electrical grid I believe has a lot of computer controls in it and isn't just nuclear. That is what we are talking about here not things like lamps.

^ This. Nuclear especially is run about many computers as well as much of our grid being monitored and maintained by computers. Go to any regular power company in the US or any country with an advanced grid for that matter and you'll find quite a bit. Reported attempts of attacks have already occurred against power stations. It doesn't take much to take it down either. A simple bug can easily trip a power station, cascade across several transformers, and shut down other stations. This is what happened in the 2003 blackout although that was purely accidental and not related to a virus but just throw a virus into the situation and you'll have a huge problem developing. 

• MarcZ likes this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

NSA has revealed to 60 minutes that last year it thwarted a cyber attack that could've destroyed most of the computers in the United States in a BIOS (basic input/output system) attack. CBS claims it has sources that suggests China was the mastermind behind the attack.

http://www.businessi...er-plot-2013-12

This all sounds very over the top to me. I know the U.S. is vulnerable but I can't see how China would benefit from shutting down the U.S. economy as that would have adverse impacts on their own economy. I almost think this may be some sort of false-flag reporting to make the NSA look better? Maybe it is true though, strange.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,318 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
At this point, I think many people would start cheering "Go China!"

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

At this point, I think many people would start cheering "Go China!"

Not necessarily a good thing. The Chinese, at least the rogue elements in the Chinese military, don't have the US's best interests at heart.

The more prudent thing to do is for Americans to deal with the NSA without involving foreign parties.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Seems fake as hell.

I don't like being lied to, but I'm also tired of The Truth.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Seems a bit convenient. The NSA starts getting chewed out for their invasion of privacy, made out to be the bad guys, and then suddenly they go 'Hey we saved your asses from *duh duh duh* China'. Seems too convenient for NSA to me.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Smacks of propaganda and a pathetic effort to save face.

What does China have to gain or lose from doing such things, why was this not talked about sooner, and why is America not at all-out war with them?

I mean come on, in such a scenario I think everyone knows the first thing America would do is retaliate.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

NSA has revealed to 60 minutes that last year it thwarted a cyber attack that could've destroyed most of the computers in the United States in a BIOS (basic input/output system) attack. CBS claims it has sources that suggests China was the mastermind behind the attack.

http://www.businessi...er-plot-2013-12

This all sounds very over the top to me. I know the U.S. is vulnerable but I can't see how China would benefit from shutting down the U.S. economy as that would have adverse impacts on their own economy. I almost think this may be some sort of false-flag reporting to make the NSA look better? Maybe it is true though, strange.

...some people just want to watch the world burn.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Smacks of propaganda and a pathetic effort to save face.

What does China have to gain or lose from doing such things, why was this not talked about sooner, and why is America not at all-out war with them?

I mean come on, in such a scenario I think everyone knows the first thing America would do is retaliate.

No way in hell the US attacks China, especially when we're broke and still having problems in Afghanastan.  Besides, the Chinese don't currently pose a threat to the US in terms of being able to hack our computers.  The US only either launches limited military strikes or imposes sanctions against countries that don't pose a threat to us militarily. 

The only thing we ever want is more

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

No way in hell the US attacks China, especially when we're broke and still having problems in Afghanastan.  

When has that stopped them from doing something stupid?

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Probably stopped a Chinese hacker trying to spread a virus. A virus of coarse has the potential to bring down most the computers in the United States, but that doesn't mean it will.

Edit: I didn't read the article at all.

Oblivianist

Oblivianist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationThe Maldives

Keep in mind, china does not necessarily mean the chinese government.  

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
         Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
         Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
         Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Still seems like bullshit.

I don't like being lied to, but I'm also tired of The Truth.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Oblivianist

Oblivianist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationThe Maldives

Oh i totally agree, its probablyscaled way out of propotion. "Last year i killed the BIGGEST FUCKING thing, it was an ant."

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
         Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
         Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
         Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

Probably stopped a Chinese hacker trying to spread a virus. A virus of coarse has the potential to bring down most the computers in the United States, but that doesn't mean it will.

Edit: I didn't read the article at all.

Flying blind through topics, I like your style.

• eacao and Oblivianist like this

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

That's because it probably is, this feels like utter propaganda, and 60 minutes is being absolutely panned for this report. Funny considering 60 Minutes is already losing credibility after that Lara Logan Benghazi report not too long ago.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CIA, hacking, hacker, NSA, surveillance, spyware, cyberwarfare, cyberattack, cyber, cyberterrorism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users