Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hacking & Cyberwarfare News and Discussions

CIA hacking hacker NSA surveillance spyware cyberwarfare cyberattack cyber cyberterrorism

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,578 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Wow, so even though Orwell got it right, he completely underestimated the cynical skepticism of modern humans. Nineteen Eighty-Troll, anyone?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

No way in hell the US attacks China, especially when we're broke and still having problems in Afghanastan.  

When has that stopped them from doing something stupid?

The Cold War.  The US won't attack anyone that they can't easily defeat.  I'm not sure if there's any chance China might actually defeat the US in a war yet, but it sure would be a long, arduous, and COSTLY war.  People get freaked out when 1000 troops die in Iraq.  They wouldn't be able to handle 100,000 troops dying in China.

The only thing we ever want is more

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Wow, so even though Orwell got it right, he completely underestimated the cynical skepticism of modern humans. Nineteen Eighty-Troll, anyone?

That cynical skepticism will be all we have until thought-crime stamps that out too.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Oblivianist

Oblivianist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationThe Maldives

The Cold War.  The US won't attack anyone that they can't easily defeat.  I'm not sure if there's any chance China might actually defeat the US in a war yet, but it sure would be a long, arduous, and COSTLY war.  People get freaked out when 1000 troops die in Iraq.  They wouldn't be able to handle 100,000 troops dying in China.

I think it would be possible to to make the general public care less. Just have the media downplay it, make little fuss over it.

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
         Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
         Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
         Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

RDP

RDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Location' DROP TABLE users --

I almost think this may be some sort of false-flag reporting to make the NSA look better?

</thread>

Find me on Steam (mainly DotA 2)

"The idea of Romans creating a religion to counter act the Jewish religion and then persecute the religion they created is absurd enough to have its own episode on Ancient Aliens."

-tw88

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Review: NSA snooping program should stay in place

An independent assessment of National Security Agency surveillance ordered by President Barack Obama recommends a controversial program aimed at collecting Americans' electronic communications remain in place.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

What are you without the sum of your parts?

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

Review: NSA snooping program should stay in place

An independent assessment of National Security Agency surveillance ordered by President Barack Obama recommends a controversial program aimed at collecting Americans' electronic communications remain in place.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

Duh, you think the government is going to get rid of it? No...

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Interesting and poignant.

Citizenry of the first world has demonstrated profound apathy towards issues that are essentially existential at this stage. We are sleepwalking into WWIII in the same way we sleepwalked into the last two. Failing to keep up with changing times and technologies that entailed a new logic of warfare.

I expect World War III or something like it to start with a cyberattack sometime during the 2020s. Most probable belligerents, US and China.

• eacao and Water like this

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Interesting and poignant.

Citizenry of the first world has demonstrated profound apathy towards issues that are essentially existential at this stage. We are sleepwalking into WWIII in the same way we sleepwalked into the last two. Failing to keep up with changing times and technologies that entailed a new logic of warfare.

I expect World War III or something like it to start with a cyberattack sometime during the 2020s. Most probable belligerents, US and China.

Does China attack first or the USA?

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Maybe a bit of both? Those are two pretty pigheaded governments.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Maybe a bit of both? Those are two pretty pigheaded governments.

A hacked electricity grid would be disastrous.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
China is our biggest trading partner and have no interest in harming their economy or ours. Yes there is economic competition and childish polemics over the South China Sea. However, I fully believe the intent of the Chinese government is to improve their nation as much as they can and War with the USA would destroy progress towards that goal overnight. Nations generally don't do things they would see as counterproductive to their wellbeing.
  • Ewan and Jakob like this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

China is our biggest trading partner and have no interest in harming their economy or ours. Yes there is economic competition and childish polemics over the South China Sea. However, I fully believe the intent of the Chinese government is to improve their nation as much as they can and War with the USA would destroy progress towards that goal overnight. Nations generally don't do things they would see as counterproductive to their wellbeing.

Many a writer of science fiction could benefit from your wisdom, Erowind. Countries do indeed tend not to invade each other for shits and giggles, and even with a solid reason, it's very difficult to invade another country with all the international complexities of the 21st century. Personally it gets to me when people act like the world is some kind of giant Risk board--the very fact that there are nations without standing armies that haven't been invaded proves it isn't.</rant>

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

They said much the same thing prior to WWI, I believe.

China is also a burgeoning superpower. The US doesn't like that. They've said as much. Just listen to a Hillary speech. Only the White House is allowed to rule the world. Not Beijing. Not the Kremlin. The White House. This is going to be the American century and if all you backwards non-American barbarians can't get with it, there'll be nukes, comprende?

I can't find it right now, but I read an article by the Department of Defense simulating what a war with China would look like. They acknowledged it would harm the trade capacity of both countries, but said that if the US could blockade China's ports, China's trade would drop by 90% and they would very likely be crippled. They hastened to add that this was a "very unlikely scenario" but said that they "needed to prepare for the possibility."

China defense spending to double by 2020

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

They said much the same thing prior to WWI, I believe.

China is also a burgeoning superpower. The US doesn't like that. They've said as much. Just listen to a Hillary speech. Only the White House is allowed to rule the world. Not Beijing. Not the Kremlin. The White House. This is going to be the American century and if all you backwards non-American barbarians can't get with it, there'll be nukes, comprende?

I can't find it right now, but I read an article by the Department of Defense simulating what a war with China would look like. They acknowledged it would harm the trade capacity of both countries, but said that if the US could blockade China's ports, China's trade would drop by 90% and they would very likely be crippled. They hastened to add that this was a "very unlikely scenario" but said that they "needed to prepare for the possibility."

China defense spending to double by 2020

Crippling Chinese trade would also cripple the US and every other economy in the world. There is nothing to be gained from doing this. It would also possibly lead to a closed authoritarian China which would be a disaster for everyone and potentially propel us into a new Cold War.  

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Right, it just gets worse and worse.

But do you have any reason why it won't happen?

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Edit, never mind... trying to guess where this is all going makes my head spin. We could easily see a war with China before 2020. Wouldn't necessarily be a world war or nuclear war however.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,578 posts

I strongly doubt there'll be open warfare for the obvious reason no one wants to lob nukes at each other.

This means that when the US and China start beating their chests at each other, we'll look towards some method to fight without destroying the world. As much as we forgot WWI and II, we also remember these things. It's a genetic imprint on our species, the civilization-wide PTSD of the 19th and 20th centuries.

This raises the question: what kind of war would that be like? Clearly no one wants to get dragged into a world war. I've long been saying that, should Russia start a war with NATO, China won't come to their aid. China won't side with anyone for that matter; they'll only pick a side once they see which way the winds are blowing. If Russia is still winning, then yes, China will enter the war on Russia's side. If Russia's getting whomped, China will conveniently forget all those arms and trade deals of the past few decades.

It's sort of like the relationship between the US and the UK circa 1860. Remember those days? Back then, the world was run by an unrivaled superpower who could act with impunity. However, they were threatened by the rise of a large nation with explosive economic growth far, far away, a nation that could potentially overturn their hegemony. During this time, the two nations acted relatively friendly with each other but always plotted for an eventual war that was sure to erupt.

The superpower was the UK, and the rising power was the US. 

In this case, the "inevitable" war between the Superpower and the Rising Power never came into fruition. In fact, the two powers wound up becoming the closest of allies. However, was that because of fate or because both nations were relatively similar culturally? Who knows. We're undergoing a very similar situation right now between the US and China, but does that mean the same things will happen?

Truth be told, no one knows. They say those that fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it. They're not saying that history repeats itself and thus we have to expect things like two more World Wars, a new east vs. west Cold War, etc.; they're saying that humans always hume the same way, and if people don't recognize when we're making the same choices that led to disaster before, we'll make those same choices again.

China seems to be the only one out of the two that understands that proverb. Their aggression in the South China Sea is calculated, after all, and they're not psychotic like, say, the Nazis were when they wanted Lebensbraum. 

It's the US, la-dee-fucking-dah, that doesn't give a shit about history and wants to thrust its fearsome member in China's face.

• Maximus and Recyvuym like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,578 posts

Cyber is the new nuclear, changing the world through mutually assured disruption

Lately, there have been a lot of articles and specials about cyber conflict — in particular cyber crimes carried out by states, which seems to be slowly winning as the colloquial definition of cyberwar. The primary reason for this is that enough time has passed to generate more thoughtful and researched reactions to the most important cyber-story of the year: Russia’s alleged role in the theft and later release of private emails from the US Democratic National Committee (DNC).
Cyber or otherwise, it’s a strident attempt to interfere in an American election — but is it “unprecedented” in the way it is often described? More generally, are these particular sorts of cyber attacks really changing the world all that much?

My commentary: I know not what World War IV will be fought with, but I can assure you that World War III will be fought with 1337 h4cks4ws and trojan horses.

• eacao likes this

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
In some ways worse than nuclear. Cyber warfare is also going to be the most exploited form of warfare with as many false claims as legitimate.

The Australian online census failed and China were immediately blamed within 24 hours.

Some will take the opportunity like a sex tape where you claim it was stolen when it was deliberately meant to get out there.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CIA, hacking, hacker, NSA, surveillance, spyware, cyberwarfare, cyberattack, cyber, cyberterrorism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users