Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dynamists vs catastrophists

dynamist catastrophist dystopia utopia optimism pessimism realism

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Today's world is comprised of two archetypes: dynamists and catastrophists.

1. Dynamists are people who see 21st century modernity as a basically successful civilization advancing toward a future that ’s better than the past. They do not deny that problems exist, but they believe we can innovate our way through them while staying on an ever-richer, ever-more-liberated course. ¶ Dynamists of the left tend to put their faith in technocratic government; dynamists of the right,  in the genius of free markets. But both assume that modernity is a success story whose best days are ahead.

2. Catastrophists, on the other hand, see a global civilization that for all its achievements is becoming more atomized and balkanized, more morally bankrupt, more environmentally despoiled. What’s more, they believe that things cannot go on as they are: That the trajectory we’re on will end in crisis, disaster, dégringolade ¶ Like dynamists, catastrophists can be on the left or right, stressing different agents of our imminent demise. But they’re united
in believing that current arrangements are foredoomed, and that only a true revolution can save us.

— Excerpted from Ross Douthat’s “Pope Francis’ Call to Action Goes Beyond the Environment” for The New York Times.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

And what group do you belong to, Recy? I'm more of a "catastrophist." 

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne
Oh, very very catastrophist.

Thought it was interesting this duality is becoming acknowledged in the public sphere. I should have made this topic into a poll.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts

I'm dynamist. Obviously.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

I'm dynamist. Obviously.

For the Vanu Sovreignty, Tecnology Equals Might!!

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

I'm dynamist. Obviously.

We agree again! 

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

I'm dynamist. Obviously.

For the Vanu Sovreignty, Tecnology Equals Might!!

Elves are fucking orcs in the moonlight of Uranus

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

If a war were to break out between dynamists and catastrophists, what would be the catalyst or the Ferdinand moment, if you will?

Elves are fucking orcs in the moonlight of Uranus

They should be somewhat biologically compatible since orcs were originally elves but twisted into them by a whim of a dark god.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

i'm the semi-catastrophist. This mean i agree with both "things cannot go on as they are" and "best days are ahead". I would just add that these best days are FAR ahead and not any way tied to current neo-liberal west-dominated world system.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

I agree, or at least I'm hopeful of that. One day, probably one day soon, we will look back on our present attitudes and myths about ourselves and the future, and laugh at them, just like we laugh at our ancestors and their stargazing and magic ancestor bones today.

Mods, is it possible to convert this topic into a poll? I'd like the options to be Dynamist, Catastrophist, Undecided or Other.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,234 posts

I am mostly in the catastrophist camp with important exceptions. I do believe that technological solutions, or at least solutions that can be implemented in conjunction with technological development, can mitigate or overcome problems.  In some cases, market mechanisms can bring this about. However, these solutions cannot be implemented without a conscious decision to do so.  Market based solutions will only work if large numbers of consumers shop with an eye toward over all sustainability. Alternatively, government programs that mobilize resources toward solving important problems can also be implemented. Absent a consciousness oriented toward sustainable development, catastrophes will indeed occur.  Only the consciousness of consumers and voters can guide the proper utilization of new technologies.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts
  • LocationCanada

I am one of the biggest dynamists on this board.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

I am mostly in the catastrophist camp with important exceptions. I do believe that technological solutions, or at least solutions that can be implemented in conjunction with technological development, can mitigate or overcome problems.  In some cases, market mechanisms can bring this about. However, these solutions cannot be implemented without a conscious decision to do so.  Market based solutions will only work if large numbers of consumers shop with an eye toward over all sustainability. Alternatively, government programs that mobilize resources toward solving important problems can also be implemented. Absent a consciousness oriented toward sustainable development, catastrophes will indeed occur.  Only the consciousness of consumers and voters can guide the proper utilization of new technologies.

I actually agree, it would be a mistake to say there's no chance this civilisation will produce anything of worth at all for future generations.

In thousands of years, perhaps we'll look back on the disasters of this age as being necessary. The Black Death (which were preceded by the Mongol invasions!) was arguably the second biggest disaster in human history. But a hundred years later, the globe was springing into the Renaissance, as a direct result. The old rotten wood of overpopulated cities and feudal society were burned down. Something new rose from the ashes.

That could happen to us in a hundred years, or in a thousand, or ten thousand, or maybe never, I don't know. But there's still cause for hope.

Just, not for the short term. No, we are fucked. Fucked. Like, "Sorry, you have fourth phase cancer" fucked.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

dynamist, not much of a question

Astralator

Astralator

100 Billion Suns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPale Blue Dot

In the end this boils down to how much faith one has in humanity, doesn't it?

I am a semi-Dynamist personally - let's just hope that mankind gets its act together. 

Playing God is actually the highest expression of human nature. The urges to improve ourselves, to master our environment, [...] have been the fundamental driving forces of all of human history. Without these urges to ‘play God’, the world as we know it wouldn’t exist today.” - Ramez Naam

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dynamist, catastrophist, dystopia, utopia, optimism, pessimism, realism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users