Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What was your "Holy Shit! We're living in the future" moment?

future shock we live in the future The Future™

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

179981.jpg?fit=480%2C680&ssl=1

Imagine what the memes will be like in 2040:

"You didn't even have a neural implant in 2020!"

"VR in shitty 4K resolution – how did we cope back then?"

"20 years later and you now have an exabyte of storage on your fingertip."

"Look what your AI Buddy™ can do today, compared to our worm-level AIs in 2020."

etc.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

This girl 

RbUzqxt.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,033 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

It's bizarre to think that there are officially virtual/synthetic influencers with millions of followers on social media.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Future_Investigator

Future_Investigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationQuebec

US Space Force Has Lifted Off, Now the Journey Begins

A team of U.S. military and civilian defense officials spent most of 2019 drawing up plans to create a Space Force as a new service branch within the Air Force. But it wasn’t until Congress reached a deal in December on the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act that the Space Force went from concept to reality.

Even the planners of the Space Force didn’t know if or when it would happen.

“We honestly didn’t know until mid-December,” said Air Force Maj Gen John Shaw, commander of the U.S. Space Force’s newly created Space Operations Command at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.

“It’s one thing to be thinking ‘this might happen,’” Shaw said Jan. 10. But after President Donald Trump on Dec. 20 signed the NDAA into law, “that’s when it became real.”

https://spacenews.co...journey-begins/

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,033 posts

One of Trump's few great triumphs, in my opinion. I know it's divisive, but anything that puts a greater human presence in space (even a militarized one) is a plus in my book. Actually, using some of our ultra-bloated military expenditure for something like a space force is exactly what we should've been doing all this time.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

isDpdZh.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,033 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,033 posts

aUJFfOz.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,033 posts

The EUV scanner is the most technically advanced tool of any kind that's ever been made. It's so far from normal human experience. I can't think of anything that has pushed the envelope in so many areas.

The absolute state of human technology in 2020 AD.

Of course, I can think of a few other companies that make a good argument for themselves...

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

/\ Simply incredible. I wonder how long it will be before we start see this jump to 13 nm lithography hit market. This should produce a massive leap in processing power, perhaps I'll finally have a good reason to upgrade off my old Sandy Bridge i7 2600k (32nm.)

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'll finally have a good reason to upgrade off my old Sandy Bridge i7 2600k (32nm.)

I bought that exact processor in 2011. Finally upgraded at the end of last year (now running a core i7-9700). Oh, and Intel has just released the 10th gen.

Godstone

Godstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The early discoveries of exoplanets were my 'holy shit' moment. Knowing that our sun is not the only star to have planets suddenly made all those scifi shows and books and films become possibilities.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,033 posts

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,182 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It'd be funny if they use Leia's message to Obi-Wan as a demonstration of this technology at E3. That'll surely attract attention.   :biggrin:

What are you without the sum of your parts?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

"When French sci-fi author Barjavel was asked to imagine the future just after world war 2 : he had it almost right."

https://twitter.com/...274078475358215

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,033 posts

"When French sci-fi author Barjavel was asked to imagine the future just after world war 2 : he had it almost right."

https://twitter.com/...274078475358215

Py3JTkV.jpg

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Well, I experienced this moment today, reading my fresh newspaper. For the first time I saw the officious Russian newspaper calmly discussing the possible collapse of USA and its consequences. Yes, just an article, but I didn't expect to even live to see such an article.

31031965.png

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 11,254 posts

^^^Yes, that was also such a moment for me.  It wasn't just the robots performing. That sort of animatronics has been around for quite awhile.  It was also the empty seats in the background.  Like the caption says, "robots replace fans."  This was partly a "times we live in moment" - due to COVID-19, but also a robots really are replacing us kind of moment.  

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 11,254 posts

I came across another statement this morning of that "you know you are in the future" variety:

(Nature) Enhanced silicate rock weathering (ERW), deployable with croplands, has potential use for atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) removal (CDR), which is now necessary to mitigate anthropogenic climate change1

The "now in the future part" is the "is now necessary to mitigate anthropogenic climate change."  We probably have gone beyond the point where merely reducing greenhouse gas emissions will be enough. We probably really are at the stage where we need to actively take greenhouse gases out of the atmosphere. This was always contemplated as a future threshold that we would reach, until now.  

So, the slower we act, the more dramatic the cure eventually needs to be.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: future shock, we live in the future, The Future™

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users