Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Two Megacorps Vie For The Future: Alphabet and Facebook's Tech Race

Google Facebook Alphabet 2016 2020s 2026 artificial intelligence VR social networking megacorporation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,081 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Google and Facebook are destined to wage a decade-long war for the future

Back in April, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg unveiled his grand ten-year roadmap, showing the company’s trajectory from now through 2026.
It points the way to Facebook’s ideal future: A world where everybody’s connected to the internet, where we talk to artificially intelligent computers as if they were human, and — boldest of all — where virtual reality goggles are as common as our smartphones, allowing us to connect with people across the world as intimately as if they were in the same room.
Facebook moved the marker on this ambitious roadmap a little bit forward this week, with more details on how the social network will operate in its ideal virtual reality future. In a demo, Zuckerberg showed off “Social VR,” using a combination of the Oculus Rift headset and a 360-degree camera to mash together virtual reality and the real world like never before.
That’s not to say it will be easy for Facebook.
Just this week, Google held its own big event. And while that presentation was ostensibly to introduce new hardware, it also gave us a glimpse of how Google is thinking about its own future — and the ways in which Facebook’s 10-year strategy overlap with Google’s.
Their core businesses couldn’t be more different — Facebook’s efforts to break into search haven’t yielded much result; Google’s attempts to become a social network are pretty much Silicon Valley punchlines at this point.
Yet in many important ways, Facebook and Google are already going punch-for-punch in a fight that won’t be over any time soon.

image.jpg

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

A metaverse controlled by Facebook is very disturbing to me. I'll stick to JanusVr which despite not having the funding levels that Facebook does, Janus is infinitely more capable at the moment. (not to mention that Janus is a decentralized open environment) AltspaceVr is pretty cool too.

Edit: Grammar

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
Don't forget amazon, baidu, alibaba, & renren. My money is on Baidu or Google

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

May they both crash and burn.

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Don't curse at life from the sidelines my friend.  Make a play.  Else like in poker the longer you wait the blind will just keep picking away at your chips until you have nothing to wager.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

... Huh?

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Because, what, they're so eeeeevil for collecting data on you so that they can make your use experience better? If you don't like that, then use those crappy web services that don't collect data.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Ooh, so i can just opt out? Well why didn't anybody tell me, I would've had no reason to get pissed off and we all could just get on with our lives without our privacy being intruded upon and -

OH. WAIT.

Yeah, I worked in online advertising for two years, Jakob. I can tell you all about just how invasive analytics are today, and no, you can't opt out, not even if you go live in a cave.

Not to mention that these corporations are more powerful than several small countries put together and they have more control over the US than the American voter.

Like I said. Crash. And. Burn.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020 is here; I still suck

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Ooh, so i can just opt out? Well why didn't anybody tell me, I would've had no reason to get pissed off and we all could just get on with our lives without our privacy being intruded upon and -

OH. WAIT.

Yeah, I worked in online advertising for two years, Jakob. I can tell you all about just how invasive analytics are today, and no, you can't opt out, not even if you go live in a cave.

Not to mention that these corporations are more powerful than several small countries put together and they have more control over the US than the American voter.

Like I said. Crash. And. Burn.

Privacy is of course a very important issue but wishing for 2 large companies to crash and burn will literally solve nothing. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

That's not true at all... it would help solve my bad mood.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

That's not true at all... it would help solve my bad mood.

That seems to be a persistent problem. You seem to run apace from anything which is uplifting.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Nah, I'm a much more optimistic guy than you realise. I'm just pulling weight for dark futurology which is underrepresented on this forum. That's why most of my posts are so negative. But I've already explained this.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

As long as it relies on reason it is very much welcome.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Doesn't invasive normally mean that it's getting in my way somehow? I mean I don't use Facebook but the closest thing to annoying me Google does is changing how Youtube works every couple of months.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,081 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I disagree with their privacy policies, obviously, but I wholly support Google's unstoppable AI ambitions. Obviously.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Doesn't invasive normally mean that it's getting in my way somehow?

No, it means intruding into space that doesn't belong to you. You don't even have to know it's happened for it to be invasive.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Doesn't invasive normally mean that it's getting in my way somehow?

No, it means intruding into space that doesn't belong to you. You don't even have to know it's happened for it to be invasive.

Ahhhh well whatever, I'm not the one whose harmed if they know my fetish, their the one's who know and regret the decision to look.

cerealkiller

cerealkiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationUK

Doesn't invasive normally mean that it's getting in my way somehow? I mean I don't use Facebook but the closest thing to annoying me Google does is changing how Youtube works every couple of months.

Do you have an Android phone? If you do, Google will be tracking your searches, your downloads, everything for data collection.
We create our own future's and therefore our own destinies.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Do you have an Android phone? If you do, Google will be tracking your searches, your downloads, everything for data collection.

So?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Google, Facebook, Alphabet, 2016, 2020s, 2026, artificial intelligence, VR, social networking, megacorporation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users