Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2014: The Year of ISIS

ISIS Islamic State Daesh 2014 Syria Iraq Levant Iraq War ISIS Offensive All For Nothing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Here's a thread dedicated to discussing the rise of ISIS to international prominence. Primarily the events of 2014, though I'm not against discussing everything from their formation to their recent terror attacks.

I already know I've lived through history because of the whole atmosphere that existed back in 2014, particularly mid-year.

The Conflicted Thoughts of Iraq Veterans Watching Iraq Collapse

FCNL: Iraq: The Fall of Tal AfarWas The Iraq War A Complete Waste?

Absolutely Nothing: A Veteran's Savage Indictment of the Iraq War

Whispers, regrets and re-deployment: 10 Iraq war veterans on the Isis Effect

Iraq War Soldier 10 Years Later: What Was It All For?

Yes, the Iraq War Was All for Nothing

There may be nothing America can do to save Iraq

We're Four Months Into the New Iraq War. Has Anything Gone Right?

Iraq War Veterans Sound Off About What's Happening There

Updated: Iraq Is Coming Apart at the Seams

The U.S. Lost the Iraq War

Losing Iraq

I especially remember Michael Moore's post on the matter, which Will posted.

8fgTLlY.jpg

Michael Moore may have been saying this, but so was Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly. That sense of disillusionment and shock at our own failures was something we haven't felt since Tet in '68. I'm only half glad I lived through it. The closer ISIS got to Baghdad, the worse we felt. ISIS began looking like an actual state, on top of posting victory after victory. Everything was going right for them, for a time.

We felt like we shouldn't have gone in and toppled Saddam Hussein so joyfully a decade prior. Basically, American imperialism got shit in its face for the first time since the end of the Cold War.

That disillusionment didn't last long, however. ISIS then had to behead James Foley.

ISIS beheading U.S. journalist James Foley, posts video

How the U.S. and Europe Failed James Foley

James Foley: Islamic State militants 'behead reporter'

That was the first big one. That's what riled up some anger, in a blatant attempt to get Americans to accept a new war in Iraq. And it failed. Yes, we were pissed as fuck and wanted ISIS to die in a nuclear hellfire, but we rathered someone else, such as Russia, do the dirty work (irony considering current events). Iraq blew up on us (no pun intended), so we just said "Fuck it!" and backed away. We could have run ISIS through, but we lacked the will. We don't want another costly war.

Though it helped that they had a neat, simple name: "ISIS". 

Discuss away!

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

but we rathered someone else, such as Russia, do the dirty work

This is simply wrong. Unlike other patricipants of this war, Russia demonstratively respect the international law and therefore WILL NOT invade into foreign country without permission of legitimate government. The "dirty work" in Iraq will (or will not) be done by Turks, Kurds, Iraqis themselves, plus Americans and their vassals allies:

=== === ===

Personally for me, 2014 was the Year of Crimea, which fully overshadowed this ISIS:

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

^That's for another thread (that you can totally create if I haven't started it soon enough).

But what I meant was, we USicans heard that ISIS fucked with Russia and hoped "okay, Ruskies, if you drop a megaton on Raqqa, we will look the other way." Especially after ISIS kept proving themselves to be bigger and bigger bastards.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

^That's for another thread (that you can totally create if I haven't started it soon enough).

Too early IMHO, this Ukrainian story is not over, this is not yet a "history".

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

The Islamic State's advance felt like watching a blitzkreig mixed with medieval pillaging. I don't know how I would react today, but at the time I honestly thought IS would take over Iraq and most of Syria within a few years.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

ISIS was far more prominent in 2015 in my opinion. 2014 was the year of Ukraine.

• Outlook likes this

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

ISIS was far more prominent in 2015 in my opinion. 2014 was the year of Ukraine.

Actually, I would argue that, in a more general sense, 2014 was the year of both changing borders and the beginning of the collapse of the old world order.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

The Islamic State's advance felt like watching a blitzkreig mixed with medieval pillaging. I don't know how I would react today, but at the time I honestly thought IS would take over Iraq and most of Syria within a few years.

Yeah, even as late as mid-2015, there was a very real possibility that the ISIS Caliphate would hold out for years, if not decades. :(

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

They were more prominent in 2015, but 2014 was when they burst into the mainstream. That's why I picked this year.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

They were more prominent in 2015

Actually, that's debatable; after all, they already lost Tikrit in early 2015.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Yes, Marc agrees with you in regards to this; however, this doesn't necessarily make your statement here true.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ISIS, Islamic State, Daesh, 2014, Syria, Iraq, Levant, Iraq War, ISIS Offensive, All For Nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users