Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Mars Trilogy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,048 posts
  • LocationLondon
These are my favourite books of all time.

Has anyone else here read them?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm also lucky enough to have met the author. :)

http://www.skyscrape...t=786006&page=8
  • Nom du Clavier and Solar Sail like this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
They are there just waiting for ther moment :) This trilogy is among my "must-read classics". Hard to tell when it's gonna happen.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I bought this entire trilogy from Amazon about six months ago, though I've only managed to get about half way through Red Mars since then, as I'm easily distracted by other books- I especially prefer non-fiction and have been eating my way through various physics books in the meantime. I should really get around to finishing this trilogy off I did enjoy what I've read so far, though I would like to discuss its contents- so far it seems a bit idealistic in the portrayal of the mission itself (i.e. the scale of it and pace of it) compared to what I feel we will or could really achieve in the near future, but otherwise it does feel like a measured attempt to describe what those first steps of colonisation might be like, whether I believe reality will mirror it or not.
~Jon

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
I've never read the trilogy it loos really excellent I'll put it on my Birthday List and see if i get it or not.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
Sadly, I haven't read them. I know I should, and it's only a matter of time before I do. The problem with most Mars novels by anyone is that they're almost all about colonization. Ben Bova's Mars is something I highly recommend to people because it really set the tone and really felt like a first expedition to Mars and what it would feel like going there. It's now a trilogy of books, with the 3rd one having been released a few years ago, but it's not as great as the first and second books, problem being the world building that he's done for his universe which feels very political in nature. As for other Mars novels, I'd stay far away from Moving Mars by Greg Bear. He's an otherwise fine author who I like a lot, but this book wasn't very good. As I was reading, I was waiting to get to the good part, and I thought maybe the title would be symbolism for something, as in, "Mars is quite moving for some people.", however, it's quite literal in its meaning as they try to move Mars which I found to be quite ludicrous.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Solar Sail

Solar Sail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNot Mars
I've read the trilogy several times over. It never gets boring! They are the staples to any scifi collection along with other classic works such as 2001 A Space Odyssey and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
  • Caiman, wjfox and Nom du Clavier like this
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users