Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

USA Watch Thread

America USA Politics Military Wars Science Information News Economy Geopolitics

• Please log in to reply
1544 replies to this topic

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationNew York

White House adviser Kevin Hassett: "Our human capital stock is ready to go back to work." #HumanCapitalStock

Not surprising. Men & women are little more than working & breeding stock. Both commodified to be used and sold. The American state seems ripe for a revolution. An actualized one btw, not that sad sorry prior attempt of Sanders styled revolution. There is just little reform nor understanding to be had with those currently at the helm of power, at least in this country. 

Shame the American populace is too stupid and culled for that though, not to mention heavily outmatched in both tactics and firepower. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

White House adviser Kevin Hassett: "Our human capital stock is ready to go back to work." #HumanCapitalStock

Not surprising. Men & women are little more than working & breeding stock. Both commodified to be used and sold.

cnghBT5.jpg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

FBI to investigate death of black man in Minnesota after arrest

The FBI will investigate the death of a black man in the US state of Minnesota after a video emerged showing a policeman kneeling on his neck.

In the footage, the man, believed to be in his 40s, is heard groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the white officer.

The Minneapolis Police Department said was responding to a reported crime.

The incident echoed that of Eric Garner, a black man who died being arrested in 2014.

Garner was placed in a chokehold and uttering the words "I can't breathe" nearly a dozen times.

The phrase became a rallying cry for activists protesting alleged police brutality against people of colour in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.u...canada-52806572

_112480662_5f9752d1-97fe-44e3-942d-81fc7

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Trump in Rose Garden on event announcing lower insulin costs for seniors:

"I don’t use insulin. Should I be? I never thought about it."

(Trump is not known to have diabetes)

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

I wonder if cops like that even realize that they're likely to be killed when the collective anger they've created finally bursts one day. I'm not advocating this, but as we've seen in Greece and many other places over the past decades whatever organized activists start the revolts very quickly lose control of them. The crowd becomes a being of its own.

Beyond abolishing the police, the offending cops need long stints of rehabilitation and potentially exile. I don't believe in the death penalty, but some offenses do warrant removal from society. Murder isn't even generally one of them in my mind. It's the fact the murder is taken from a position of supposed public defense with no public accountability for the offender that makes the crime above so grotesque.

Internal exile can exist in absence of long term solutions in space. Small towns in very remote places with access to the internet but no access to vehicles. Few guards would be needed as the remoteness of the locale would keep exiles there. Guaranteed a vary basic life of subsistence without luxuries. Access to the internet for exiles is for public accountability not their enjoyment. If they don't have a voice we won't be able to ensure they're not being mistreated. Public surveillance can guarantee no atrocities are unchecked in these places. All the cameras could be viewed from public access websites. No cameras in private places of course, just on the streets and in common rooms. In any case the population of these exile towns must be kept very low, in the thousands. If millions warrant exile that speaks to greater systemic issues and entertaining that only ensures a modern gulag.

To be clear, most crimes warrant rehabilitation. I don't believe in punitive justice. Exile is to protect society not to punish the offender. The reason why their conditions would be without luxury is because society has no responsibility to give them luxury and most people I'd imagine including myself wouldn't want to. Exile is the only humane alternative to punitive justice I can think of when an offender either cannot be rehabilitated or their crime is too great by the standard of the day.

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationNew York

Can't wait to be rid of this horrid police state. Unfortunately, basically nothing will change. Such incidents happen time and time again just like mass shootings. 

A lot of people in this country become cops for the power, rather than the ability to protect or uphold the law. However, despite being african american, I'm not sure abolishing police is the answer. At least not until we have the kind of technology to combat crime seen in Minority Report, or a very advanced methods of rehabilitation. Just like with politicians & lawyers, the police are necessary societal institutions till we develop better (A.I.) management.

Another thing to consider, is that I don't often see reports like these in other countries. Maybe it's just not reported as often, but just as likely it doesn't happen as often like with America's gun issue. This means the issue is an in-bedded cultural one. 

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Police brutality is almost universal, it's on the rise across the western world particularly in the anglosphere. It's something that rises with police militarization too. I don't have the brain to pull all the stats right now but this wiki article should illustrate it's systemic in nature and that making it a problem of individuals doesn't make sense. The fact that there are countries without cases either suggests that those cases go unreported or that those countries have solved at least the murder aspect of the issue. In cases like Switzerland I think it's fair to say the police just don't murder people there by virtue that free speech is honored in Switzerland and researchers would know if they did. Though I assure other expressions of domination and brutality beyond murder do occur in Switzerland, even if only abstractly in some cases.

https://en.wikipedia...cers_by_country

It's important to recognize that these statistics are far from perfect and most cases of police brutality in countries like America go unreported due to both a corrupt judicial system and the inability of economically disadvantaged victims from being able to hire legal defense.

So we must ask. Why is police brutality systemic? In answering this question we seek another question. What is the purpose of the police? The purpose of the police is to protect property rights. In America specifically, modern police departments evolved to both enforce slavery and keep war with Native Americans. They simply didn't exist beforehand.

https://plsonline.ek...erican-policing

If anyone desires to do their own research they'll learn that the police in other countries often evolved out of the need to protect Crown holdings and or the property of the rich. In the American context the Africans forced into slavery were the property as were the land and resources of the Natives. In our modern context the property is business, means of production, etc. You'll notice in riot situations (barring cases of opposed groups of rioters [nazis vs reds]) that human to human violence doesn't generally start until the police show up and start kicking people's teeth in. The police don't go to riots to protect people from people, they go there to protect property from people. This relationship is explicit too in the ballooning police budgets in America funded disproportionately from both taxation they enforce and petty "crime" ticketing targeted at low income citizens. In other words, the police are the mafia and for that matter, so is the state.

In any case these relationships of property for the purpose of extraction, which they all have in common, are inorganic and upheld by the armed goons of the state, the police. Of note that in countries like America a network of oligopolies like Amazon and Lockeed control the state through lobbying where the state just becomes another arm of corporate control showing clearly the purpose of the police even more. In absence of the police people wouldn't tolerate the accumulation of goods, land and control of industry that the rich hold, they would organically and rightfully seize them for collective use. The commons would return and we would embrace them. 

How do we handle domestic conflict in absence of police? Simple, non-police emergency numbers with community care workers. Stronger empathetic communities in general. In cases of genuine community self-defence like with shootings, a well trained community militia that doesn't fetishise their weapons. More importantly communities who have developed these 3 characteristics will find cases if grotesque crime massively diminished.

https://carbondalesp...g/care-workers/

I'm not interested in being governed by something that isn't human and most other people aren't either. AI is a tool not a lord. The issue isn't that people are some Hobbsian beast that needs to be controlled. The issue is that humans are self-determined empathetic beings that are caught up in material conditions grander than themselves as individuals. These material conditions inform the world we have today as much as we as humans through cultural expression inform them. The solutions to our conflicts are not more domination. There was a time before police, as unimaginable as this is to most today, and there will be a time after them.

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

To add to that, detectives in my city don't actually have any guidance on how to do their job. This causes added problems, as one can imagine. I think they might be working to change that, but it remains to be seen. I would guess that a lot of crime in the inner cities for example is actually due more to poverty and/or abusive environments than it is the desire of the person to follow that path completely. Maybe some would take a different route, if they had the option/right environment. I also learned about what happened in the South after slavery was abolished, how they sneakily made all those Jim Crow laws so that they could then put black men in prison for petty crimes and thus continue using them for plantation type work, for free. The US really is built on the blood and abuse of millions. I mean it's built on stolen land, but also, on top of that, I still can't get over that Hawaii was never acquired legally. Technically speaking, native Hawaiians never consented to being made into Americans. It's one of the most striking examples that the modern era is in some ways no different than the past in what the US does. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Anti-Lockdown Protesters Now Calling for Dems to Die

Updated May. 27, 2020 1:31PM ET / Published May. 27, 2020 3:36AM ET

As the head of Cowboys for Trump, Couy Griffin has led pro-Trump horse rides through Washington, D.C., and posed for a photo in the White House with Donald Trump. He’s a superfan of the president and on May 17, he made the case that Democrats should die.

“I’ve come to a place where I’ve come to a conclusion where the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat,” Griffin said to cheers at a rally at a New Mexico church. He was there to defy a public safety order pertaining to the coronavirus.

Griffin, a county commissioner in the state, hastily added that he only meant Democrats who were dead in “the political sense”—an effort at cleanup he repeated in an interview with The Daily Beast on Tuesday.

“I could’ve chosen a different verbiage, you know. I guess I need to be more careful when I choose the words that I speak,” Griffin said. “But you know, it’s just so hypocritical of the left how they’re blowing this up, like I’m some hate-speech murderer.”

But in the interview, Griffin also repeated his claim that “the only good Democrat is a dead one” and signaled that he still thinks some top Democrats—such as governors Ralph Northam (D-VA) and Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)—could be guilty of treason and the punishment that comes with it.

“You get to pick your poison: you either go before a firing squad, or you get the end of the rope,” Griffin said.

https://www.thedaily...for-dems-to-die

iaHVTXF.jpg

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
Trump expected to sign executive order in bid to target Twitter and Facebook
Published on Thu 28 May 2020 12.41 EDT

Donald Trump is preparing to sign an executive order that could erode legal protections for social media companies for content posted on their platforms, potentially opening them to liability claims over controversial content.

If it survived anticipated legal challenges, the order could also allow federal regulators to sanction companies that in the government’s judgment are not even-handed in their editorial practices.

Scholars warned that Trump’s order was legally toothless, and said it was designed as an effort to spur controversy and create a distraction as the country passed on Wednesday the grim milestone of 100,000 deaths from Covid-19.

But the order was the president’s latest blow in an escalating battle with big tech companies including Twitter and Facebook.

https://www.theguard...o-more-lawsuits

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
Speaker Pelosi statement on Trump Social Media EO
https://www.speaker....ewsroom/52820-2

MAY 28, 2020 PRESS RELEASE

Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement on the President’s Executive Order rolling back liability protections for social media companies over user-generated content:

“Allowing the proliferation of disinformation is extremely dangerous, particularly as our nation faces the deadliest pandemic in history. Clearly and sadly, the President’s Executive Order is a desperate distraction from his failure to provide a national testing strategy to defeat COVID-19. As we pray for the families of the 100,000 who have tragically lost their lives, we must focus all our energy on protecting lives and livelihoods, starting with making The Heroes Act law.

“The President’s Executive Order does nothing to address big Internet companies’ complete failure to fight the spread of disinformation. Instead, the President is encouraging Facebook and other social media giants to continue to exploit and profit off falsehoods with total impunity – while at the same time directing the federal government to dismantle efforts to help users distinguish fact from fiction.

“Again and again, social media platforms have sold out the public interest to pad their corporate profits. Their business model is to make money at the expense of the truth. Recently, rather than removing lucrative campaign ads, which contain debunked falsehoods, Facebook changed its rules to ensure that it can continue to allow and profit off these lies.

“While Twitter’s decision to put up fact checks of the President is an important first step to protecting the integrity of our elections, much more must be done to ensure that fact-checks are applied fairly and across all platforms.”

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

I assume most of you already know what's going on, but I didn't see it so here it is

Minneapolis Police Department's 3rd Precinct on fire as riots continue

A fire has broken out at the Minneapolis Police Department's 3rd Precinct building as riots continue on Thursday.

Flames can be seen shooting from the corner of the police station along Lake Street while a large crowd surrounds the building as protests once again turned violent on Thursday.

It all comes hours after a night of violence in Minneapolis sparked by the death of George Floyd in police custody.

After protests throughout the day, looters seized on the chaos, breaking into businesses and making off with whatever they could get their hands on. Others set fires that burned an AutoZone location along with a construction project and also left damage to a number of other businesses.

There have been thousands participating in peaceful protests and many others participating in violent protests since Tuesday in Minneapolis, the city Floyd was killed in.  Smashing car windows, looting, burning down buildings.  

Protests have also erupted across the country to a somewhat lesser degree, but still thousands in different cities demonstrating, some even turning violent.

This clip came out today of a county attorney with the quote "there is other evidence that does not support a criminal charge" talking about the officer that killed Floyd.  He still may be charged, but he may not be.  We'll probably know relatively soon, but if he isn't I expect the protesting to escalate.

Furthermore, there is no sign that American police brutality is going to stop anytime soon, so perhaps we will see more and more mass spontaneous protesting as these events keep happening.  It's gone on for so many decades though, I wonder why people are spurred by this specific incident.

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere

I assume most of you already know what's going on, but I didn't see it so here it is

Minneapolis Police Department's 3rd Precinct on fire as riots continue

A fire has broken out at the Minneapolis Police Department's 3rd Precinct building as riots continue on Thursday.

Flames can be seen shooting from the corner of the police station along Lake Street while a large crowd surrounds the building as protests once again turned violent on Thursday.

It all comes hours after a night of violence in Minneapolis sparked by the death of George Floyd in police custody.

After protests throughout the day, looters seized on the chaos, breaking into businesses and making off with whatever they could get their hands on. Others set fires that burned an AutoZone location along with a construction project and also left damage to a number of other businesses.

There have been thousands participating in peaceful protests and many others participating in violent protests since Tuesday in Minneapolis, the city Floyd was killed in.  Smashing car windows, looting, burning down buildings.  

Protests have also erupted across the country to a somewhat lesser degree, but still thousands in different cities demonstrating, some even turning violent.

This clip came out today of a county attorney with the quote "there is other evidence that does not support a criminal charge" talking about the officer that killed Floyd.  He still may be charged, but he may not be.  We'll probably know relatively soon, but if he isn't I expect the protesting to escalate.

Furthermore, there is no sign that American police brutality is going to stop anytime soon, so perhaps we will see more and more mass spontaneous protesting as these events keep happening.  It's gone on for so many decades though, I wonder why people are spurred by this specific incident.

This happens every year. Every single year a unarmed black man/teen gets killed by a cop and the cop is usually at fault. People protest and riot and the cop gets fired and body cams are introduced to that police department. Ultimately the federal government should just make it mandatory for all cops and law enforcement to wear bodycams.

Racism wont end until we have no physical forn

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

The brutality happens every year yes. (Not always, but predominately against Black people. Not downplaying how this affects the Black community. Putting this here because you should care even if you're a racist cunt because all races and genders get brutally murdered by the police too.) But the scale of this riot is new. I can't think of a riot in modern American history where the police stations themselves get burned down. That is also a litmus test of insurrection. When the riot and unrest starts targeting the government itself. Now all we need is a few more decades of events like this alongside movement building and we'll have a revolution on our hands. The movement building will come eventually as the material conditions necessitate it. Though America is a particularly hard but not impossible nut to crack because it is the globally dominant center of capital accumulation and has both centuries of cultural and institutional inertia working against the formation of counter-institutions.

-- unrest is addressed

Unaddressed unrest --> protests --split--                                                                                        -- unrest is addressed

-- unrest is unaddressed --> riots and protests --split--

-- unrest is unaddressed -- protests, riots and insurrections (you are here)

(usually point of no return as any society at this point clearly has grand systemic problems that cannot reconcile the consent of the governed)

-- > unaddressed unrest --> revolution  

It's not that I wasn't aware this was happening. It just doesn't effect me like it would have in the past. I'm not entirely out of it, but I am mostly removed from this cycle of outrage and escalation. I expect the material conditions to continue unfolding themselves. None of this surprises me anymore. Which is why I hadn't posted anything about it, though thanks to everyone here who discusses and reads it :)

Edit: Another important development that separates this from past riots. A Black man was murdered by cops. And unlike in the past, thought I'm sure the crowd still skews Black, the riot is clearly multiracial.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Police abandoning the 3rd Precinct police station in Minneapolis

https://twitter.com/...278339645341701

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

CNN reporter Omar Jimenez and his entire crew arrested on live TV in Minneapolis.

"They were standing where they were told doing their job, then all of the sudden handcuffed."

Video:

https://twitter.com/...312903038296064

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

"Piece of shit cop in Minneapolis just sprays bystanders with pepper spray as they drive by."

https://twitter.com/...193926316228609

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
A journalist from a multibillion dollar media conglomerate getting arrested on live TV by American police for doing their job. Now that's something I never thought I'd see. Someone's losing their job over that one.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

"Tonight at a #BlackLivesMatter protest in Denver a car pushed through the protesters blocking the street.

Then intentionally turned to try to run a man over."

https://twitter.com/...182614815293440

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

46-year-old police officer Derek Chauvin has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: America, USA, Politics, Military, Wars, Science, Information, News, Economy, Geopolitics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users