Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Drug Helps Rotten Teeth Regenerate

stem cells biotech Alzheimers dental tech 2017 tooth regeneration bioregeneration stem cell therapy biotechnology UK

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,770 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Drug Helps Rotten Teeth Regenerate

Dentists have devised a treatment to regenerate rotten teeth that could substantially reduce the need for fillings in the future.
The therapy works by enhancing the natural ability of teeth to repair themselves through the activation of stem cells in the soft pulp at the centre.
Normally, this mechanism is limited to repairing small cracks and holes in dentine, the solid bulk of the tooth beneath the surface enamel. Now scientists have shown that the natural process can be enhanced using an Alzheimer’s drug, allowing the tooth’s own cells to rebuild cavities extending from the surface to the root.
Professor Paul Sharpe, who led the work at King’s College London, said: “Almost everyone on the planet has tooth decay at some time – it’s a massive volume of people being treated. We’ve deliberately tried to make something really simple, really quick and really cheap.”

In the trial, in mice, the team showed that when defects were filled with a biodegradable sponge soaked in the drug, the tooth was gradually able to rebuild itself.

Restoring the tooth’s original dentine structure is preferable because dental cements used in conventional fillings weaken the tooth, leave it prone to future infections – and inevitably erode or detach.

tooth-regeneration-stem-cell.jpg

• Casey and nomad like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Soooo...wjfox was right after all? By sheer coincidence?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,770 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

All the predictions on the timeline are sourced in some way or another.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

wake me when this hits the markets. ;)

• nomad likes this

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationCanada

• Trials in mice - Succesful
  • Trials in rats (4x larger teeth) - Underway
  • Trials in humans - Not mentioned at all

It's a long way off. Human trials + Regulation + Adoption by medical services + Professional training= at least a decade before your local dentist offers this (assuming everything goes smoothly). Most likely date is probably 2030.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • 13,326 posts

• Trials in mice - Succesful
  • Trials in rats (4x larger teeth) - Underway
  • Trials in humans - Not mentioned at all

It's a long way off. Human trials + Regulation + Adoption by medical services + Professional training= at least a decade before your local dentist offers this (assuming everything goes smoothly). Most likely date is probably 2030.

Unless the senate nominates Trumps FDA guy that believes human trials should be much faster and then it should go straight to the market.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I really believe this will work. I accidentally made a 1 mm hole in a tooth once using a metal staple instead of floss. Next day the tooth filled it back out.

So theres definitely stem cells somewhere in there.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationAustralia

using a metal staple instead of floss. 

you sure the hole isn't from the crack you smoke?

• Maximus likes this

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

using a metal staple instead of floss.

you sure the hole isn't from the crack you smoke?
Haha why are you asking me.

How is your memory Eacao. As a matter of fact, you were on here a few new years ago, after a few bad days, on something, getting over it all, telling the whole forum how much you really loved everyone. Do you remember?

I would say you are the subject matter expert here bro lol
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Haha why are you asking me.

How is your memory Eacao. As a matter of fact, you were on here a few new years ago, after a few bad days, on something, getting over it all, telling the whole forum how much you really loved everyone. Do you remember?

I would say you are the subject matter expert here bro lol

boring comeback

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Biggest problem with this is: Yes, dentine can be regenerated. We knew that, it happens (secondary dentine) all the time if right conditions are met by itself, without soaking in any drug. So then, we have dentine, but where's the enamel? THAT is our problem. We need something that helps us "fill" thw gaps with enamel, but for that we need proper scaffolding. 

• Yuli Ban likes this

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stem cells, biotech, Alzheimers, dental tech, 2017, tooth regeneration, bioregeneration, stem cell therapy, biotechnology, UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users