Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The ethical dilemma of designer babies | Paul Knoepfler

CRISPRdesigner babies genetic engineering transhumanism eugenics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • LocationUK

Creating genetically modified children is no longer a science fiction fantasy; it's a likely future scenario. Biologist Paul Knoepfler estimates that within fifteen years, scientists could use the gene editing technology CRISPR to make certain "upgrades" to human embryos -- from altering physical appearances to eliminating the risk of auto-immune diseases. In this thought-provoking talk, Knoepfler readies us for the coming designer baby revolution and its very personal, and unforeseeable, consequences.

nomad

nomad

The Darkness

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

It is most likely that this Guided Evolution Technologies will be utilized by the ultrarich in private. Hard to say what problems they'll run into but it is likely those lessons will be learned over and over independently by small, private facilities. The fad will fade as these problems arise and a lot of these little labs will go out of business(or, to be more correct, the personnel from them will be consolidated into fewer and fewer labs).

I think it will take some time and some very unethical human experimentation by a small number of extremely unscrupulous entities(government or private) to make Guided Evolution Technologies highly desirable once the hype and early optimism wears off and the reality of "unexpected side-effects" kicks in.

Cats.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

I think it is even more of a ethical problem not too if we can cure or decrease the chances of cancer, heart disease and give this new person a better chance at success in life.

I realize bad things could happen with the tech but I believe the good far out weighs the risk. What we should do is regulate the bad and promote the good.

• Maximus likes this

Sabrine Crystal

Sabrine Crystal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro, Brazil

I believe in the future Genetic engineering will be so advanced that parents will be able to want their children to superhumans or be hybrid human-animal beings or look like unatural people.They would be so enhanced and "different" that they would no longer be considered humans by today's people's view point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CRISPRdesigner babies, genetic engineering, transhumanism, eugenics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users