Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,318 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Very nice video by Buzzfeed. As usual, there's still a little debate on the timing, but I loved it. I agreed with all of it. 

Generation Z's starting to get more and more attention in the press and by corporate marketers, so I can only imagine what they'll grow up to be. Right now, we seem to treat them as an extension of the Millennials. But a generation being an extension of the previous one is only true for the very beginning, when the new gen is still finding themselves, and towards the end, when said gen grows nostalgic for the "accomplishments" of their parents.

That's actually one reason why I made the moddies the way they were in that one thread, making them so garish and entrepreneurial and psychedelic compared to the more hipsterfied Millennial generation. It's a fictional scene, but I based it all on real trends and things I've seen. Gen Z and Millennials are mostly indistinguishable right now, but iGenners are going to run with several things the Millennials laid down and took for granted.

• Casey, Jakob, That-Guy and 3 others like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

generations were originally meant to be 30 year seperations as that was seen as the timeframe in which world events pivoted around defining moments. In large part this was to do with the parent child relationships where the children grew to make their own actions taking control of the course of culture and world events, it didn't happen until the average member of a cohort was in their adulthood.

Think of a bell curve. pin the top of a curve on major world events and start to get the pattern of generations as they have been known.

This model starts to fall apart as we look at the accelearting changes in culture and the world. Gen x starting in the 60s and ending in the early 80s is one of the sharpest mistakes in this model. somebody born in 1969 has less in common culturally than the greatest generation, silent generation and boomer combined. Late seventies and early 80s kids have more in common with late 80 and early 90s kids.

Another glitch in the equation is this notion of Millenials, z generation and alphas. It seems like the failure of 30 year gaps to account for the variances is being noticed and they have started to count the closer together. But part of the latest couple of generation is a sort of dissolving of definate boundries between cultures ... including generational culture.

Not that millenials and 'alphas' are lacking in defined identities, but that they have learned to manipulate their identities to a degree that makes them identity fluid and thus measures of culture focused on identity begin to fall apart when they are used on such groups. And as that becomes normalized it's something that increasingly applies to members of previous generations too.

• Casey likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Awlq

Awlq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEarth

I'm curious to see how generations vary depending on what region of the world you're from. How similar is Generation Y in the United States to Generation Y in other countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, Australia, etc.? 

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Which is my generation? (2001-20**)

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Generation Z, Millennials, Generation X, Baby Boomers, Greatest Generation, Silent Generation, 20th century, 21st century, 2020s, society

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users