Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Future of Latin America

South America Brazil Argentina Americas Western Hemisphere Peru Uruguay Chile USAN

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,930 posts

Former 'Economic Hitman' Reveals to Sputnik How CIA, NSA Conceal Activities

https://sputniknews....erkins-cia-nsa/

Introduction:

(Sputnick) In the second part of an exclusive interview with Sputnik Germany, former "economic hit man" John Perkins tells about the cooperation between his employer and American intelligence agencies, their role in the global economic system and, finally, his decision to quit and write his revealing book, "The Confessions of an Economic Hit Man."

John Perking worked for an American consulting firm when he knew that his company cooperated with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the National Security Agency (NSA).

Sputnik: Mr. Perkins, how did you know that your employer executed orders from the CIA and the NSA? Was that a moment of truth?

John Perkins: I need to clarify – I never worked directly for intelligence agencies. As for the company I worked for, I can say that we received orders from the World Bank or the US Agency for International Development (USAID) or through the Treasury Department. We had an agreement on Saudi Arabia with the Treasury Department.

So, my company received money from these institutions and, in my turn, I received a salary from the company. We never had real contacts with the NSA and the CIA. All operations ran through some mediating contracts, mediators and subcontractors, at least as far as I know.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

So, my company received money from these institutions and, in my turn, I received a salary from the company. We never had real contacts with the NSA and the CIA. All operations ran through some mediating contracts, mediators and subcontractors, at least as far as I know.

Well, it's been, what, 15 years since I read this book? (I read it when it first came out; and his second one.) So, I can't remember exactly how he phrased it. But Pepperidge Farms recalls that he wanted to leave to the reader a pretty strong impression that he was working for the NSA, one step removed -- he was the contractor; and the people he worked with were directly employed by the NSA, and not the CIA.

So, that's another Perkins lie in that interview.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
Here's another interview with Perkins, from back in 2004 that I looked up:

https://www.democrac...conomic_hit_man

AMY GOODMAN: Well that’s certainly how the book reads.

JOHN PERKINS: Yeah, and it was, you know? And when the National Security Agency recruited me, they put me through a day of lie detector tests. They found out all my weaknesses and immediately seduced me. They used the strongest drugs in our culture, sex, power and money, to win me over. I come from a very old New England family, Calvinist, steeped in amazingly strong moral values. I think I, you know, I’m a good person overall, and I think my story really shows how this system and these powerful drugs of sex, money and power can seduce people, because I certainly was seduced. And if I hadn’t lived this life as an economic hit man, I think I’d have a hard time believing that anybody does these things. And that’s why I wrote the book, because our country really needs to understand, if people in this nation understood what our foreign policy is really about, what foreign aid is about, how our corporations work, where our tax money goes, I know we will demand change.

Total bullshit. It's true that they give various kinds of lie detector tests, psychological evaluations, and contract people you know (family, friends, social media contacts -- and did so even back in 2004). But they don't "seduce" in the way he describes.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,930 posts

Pepperidge Farms

?????

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
Oh, you don't know the Pepperidge Farms meme. How deprived you are:

https://medium.com/@...rs-4edcca95c431

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,930 posts

Total bullshit.

Even if Perkins is merely a talented writer of fiction there is this:

The World Bank provides most of the money that’s used by economic hit men, it and the I.M.F. 

Spot on when it comes to how the I.M.F. operates. 

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,930 posts

Oh, you don't know the Pepperidge Farms meme. How deprived you are:

https://medium.com/@...rs-4edcca95c431

Thank you for that cultural enrichment :) 

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
Sounds like more bullshit -- though I can't be certain.

What I do know about the World Bank is that it tries to alleviate poverty. Some of its past presidents were neocons; but some of its Chief Economists were people like Joseph Stiglitz. I doubt he would join a corrupt organization -- but one should probably look at his memoirs to see what he thinks of it.

Addendum: I did an internet search, and found this interview with Stiglitz:

https://www.globalpo...h-stiglitz.html

Q: What do you think of the call to shut down the IMF and the World Bank?

Stiglitz: The world needs an international development agency. I don't think anybody really thinks that one should get rid of the World Bank. Reform is one thing, but getting rid of it I think would be wrong. The IMF is a more complicated issue. I think there is a broad sentiment among both the left and the right that the IMF may be doing more harm than good. On the right, there's the view that it represents a form of corporate welfare that is counter to the IMF's own ideology of markets. But anybody who has watched government from the inside recognizes that governments need institutions, need ways to respond to crises. If the IMF weren't there, it would probably be reinvented. So the issue is fundamentally reform.

But people hear that word "world", and it sounds like "New World Order" -- thoughts of black helicopters; low men in black suits with black fedoras and leather briefcases; and so on. They should instead think of that song, "We Are the World".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: South America, Brazil, Argentina, Americas, Western Hemisphere, Peru, Uruguay, Chile, USAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users