Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

General Science/Technology/Singularity/Futurist Videos

Futurology videos singularity transhumanism climate change robots future war technology astronomy science

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,912 posts
  • LocationLondon

Perhaps this thread might be better placed in Images and Videos, since it's mostly on-topic.

Maybe change title to "General Science/Technology/Singularity/Futurist Videos" and pin it?

Up to you, though, it's your thread. :)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Not only that, but after lurking moar, I discovered I actually created pretty much this exact same thread years ago in that same subforum. Time for a merge!

Edit: And it's done.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Bacteriophages, soon you'll meet your match.... the out of control gray goo!

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,912 posts
  • LocationLondon

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Robots will vastly increase the size of the labor force and they will work for free, making all sorts of thitherto impossible public works projects feasible. Giant dams, new subways, national mag-lev networks, huge bridges, demolitions of decrepit buildings, cleaning up toxic waste sites–all sorts of projects that we can’t do now thanks to inadequate time and money will be done in the future with cheap robot labor.

https://www.militant...review-i-robot/

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,382 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Robots will vastly increase the size of the labor force and they will work for free, making all sorts of thitherto impossible public works projects feasible. Giant dams, new subways, national mag-lev networks, huge bridges, demolitions of decrepit buildings, cleaning up toxic waste sites–all sorts of projects that we can’t do now thanks to inadequate time and money will be done in the future with cheap robot labor.

If you apply this to all sectors of the economy, does it mean it all becomes free in the sense we don't have to work to in order to eat, have a roof over our heads, etc? I guess it's like basic income but without the monetary aspect.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

^ And you know what that's called?

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

If you apply this to all sectors of the economy, does it mean it all becomes free in the sense we don't have to work to in order to eat, have a roof over our heads, etc? I guess it's like basic income but without the monetary aspect.

It won't all become "free" because you'll still have to pay for the raw materials and energy required to build and maintain the roof over your head and to make the food you eat. Eliminating the costs of labor, however, will sharply reduce the prices. 

Therein lies the basic flaw with the notion that 3D printers will let people make everything they need for free: where are you getting the feedstock and electricity for your printer? From other people, and presumably they are taking money from you in exchange, so their products aren't free to you. 

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,382 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It won't all become "free" because you'll still have to pay for the raw materials and energy required to build and maintain the roof over your head and to make the food you eat. Eliminating the costs of labor, however, will sharply reduce the prices. 

Therein lies the basic flaw with the notion that 3D printers will let people make everything they need for free: where are you getting the feedstock and electricity for your printer? From other people, and presumably they are taking money from you in exchange, so their products aren't free to you. 

You can't argue it's NOT free if those robots are capable of self-replication and self-learning, providing all the necessities we need without human effort. Though I'll admit, one could argue it's not really free is the fact raw resources and energy aren't infinite if we limit ourselves to this planet, or the machines demand some sort of compensation for their labor. This is what I had in mind.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,490 posts

Nothing in this world is free, even theoretically.

The nuance relies on whether ownership of the machines is applied.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Futurology, videos, singularity, transhumanism, climate change, robots, future war, technology, astronomy, science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users