Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post Futurology Videos

Futurology futurist videos singularity transhumanism climate change robots future war technology class divides

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,704 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Related to the "Post a video" thread, but this one is for topics related specifically to futurology. It only makes sense since this is a futurist forum.

Futurology can apply to many topics ranging from leisure tech to radical efforts to halt climate change.

• sasuke2490 and FrogCAT like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Here's what I was talking about as being one of my introductions to futurism a whole decade ago. 

• sasuke2490 likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Ah, so apparently it did talk about autonomous vehicles. I wonder why I missed it...

Also, notice that several of the things mentioned here are already either here or around the corner. It's one of the things that makes me realize that so much has changed since 2007.

• sasuke2490 likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

sonofhendrix

The most efficient commercial panels are at 22% and space grade- three junction concentrator cells are at 44% efficiency. So right off the bat this documentary about the "future" is made obsolete by 2015 technology.

I think I know what happened to this timeline that led to a point where 14% efficiency is still the best they can do for commercial solar by 2057.
OBAMA LOST THE 2008 ELECTION. In fact, Obama never decided to run in the first place. It came down to Hillary Clinton vs. John McCain. McCain still picked Sarah Palin, but they still emerged victorious over Clinton. This led to the Republicans wiping out tax credits and research for solar energy over the next 8 years (McCain lasts two terms). This plus a botched reaction to the Great Recession leading to an even worse present ultimately meant that solar energy halted exponential growth around 2009 and perhaps even went into temporary decline. By the time a Democrat became president (let's say 2020, because the Republican candidate in 2016 is someone charismatic and not overly controversial like Donald Trump), no one wants to touch solar energy even with a twenty-inch thick steel glove. There's no money in it, and the tax credits are virtually useless. Same deal with wind. So moving away from solar and wind becomes virtually impossible. China's not there to bail us out because they're still reeling from several awful decisions made in 2008 and 2009 that made the Great Recession last much longer and cause their growth to stall and then temporarily decline. From the 2010s into the 2040s, virtually no progress is made in solar energy because of the mistakes made between 2008 and 2012. And then we reach 2057, where their most efficient commercial solar panels are only about 14% efficient and their "cutting edge" solar panels are only 27-28% efficient. The warnings of those dastardly greenies all those decades ago wound up coming true. Peak oil, peak coal, peak uranium, all that fun stuff. Energy resources are becoming scarce, nations are beginning to lose their mind due to increasing energy scarcity, the climate's been bent over by humans so many times that it's finally about to give up and plunge the world into a global heat wave, and our only hope comes from a Chinese-American team on a space station.

Meanwhile, in our world, Obama won the 2008 election, radicalized the right until it culminated in Donald Trump's election which is now radicalizing the left. Solar energy capacity never slowed down between 2008 and 2012 save for a few irregular dips. In fact, solar energy was booming so explosively and so soon that even many conservatives started coming around to it. By 2020, solar power had become the de facto replacement for coal in some places and second fiddle to natural gas in others. The global energy crisis never materializes. In fact, there's fears that we're producing too much energy for our civilization to handle. The climate begins to change drastically, but this is started to be reversed as soon as the 2020s. Eventually, by around 2030, commercial solar panels reach about 45% efficiency, and the higher end solar panels achieve 70% efficiency (about as efficient as modified solar panels can possibly get, IIRC).

I wrote all of this because of a throwaway comment in a decade-old futurology docudrama and there is nothing I regret.

• sasuke2490, FrogCAT and leoking2000 like this

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

One of the main reasons why I found the Timeline

• Yuli Ban, Infinite and leoking2000 like this

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Here's an futurology documentary from 2006 predicting what the 2014 Internet would be like.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Modern Marvels, one of the shows I loved when I was a pre-teen! One of the reasons I loved History Channel back in the day. And here's an episode from the heyday of 2005— "Cars of the Future".

One thing I'm noticing about a lot of futurology videos from the '90s and '00s is that there's a lot of hype for hydrogen vehicles. Indeed, I distinctly remember being a proto/child futurist in elementary (or was it middle) school and giving a project report to my class on the near future of cars (this was a special session of class dedicated to environmental issues, hosted by some college students/teachers in training) and talking about how, by the 2020s, hydrogen vehicles would be the next big thing.

I can't rewrite that report word for word, but I know for a fact that I said something to the effect of "electric vehicles were at one time the future but they had too many problems and lost to gas engines" or something like that, followed by "but in the future, we will use hydrogen engines, which are much more powerful and efficient and friendly to the environment". 

Yet here we are in 2017, and it seems like hydrogen vehicle tech hasn't gone many places since that period of hype 10-15 years ago whereas electric vehicles are breaking into the mainstream.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Hey, it's NextWorld, from 2008!
See if anything sounds familiar.

_SputnicK_

_SputnicK_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUSA

"We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours." -Jimmy Carter, 1977

"In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone too far. Pictures came and broke your heart, put down the blame on VCR." -The Buggles, 1980

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
A video I've found a while back predicting a few possible scenarios of what society could look like 33 years from now in 2050:https://youtu.be/VE0lPTfsBoI
It's rather interesting and decided I should share it with you guys.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

A video I've found a while back predicting a few possible scenarios of what society could look like 33 years from now in 2050:https://youtu.be/VE0lPTfsBoI

Delinked:

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Delinked:
Thanks for that! How do you display videos delinked?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Delinked:

You have to post the original URL, not the shortened one (i.e. "youtu.be")

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Straight from 2004:

• BasilBerylium likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

More recently, PBS's "Rise of the Robots" video from 2016.

Alpha Centari

Alpha Centari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Delinked:
You have to post the original URL, not the shortened one (i.e. "youtu.be")
OK, thanks!

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

A relatively recent interview with Ray Kurzweil. Excellent, in-depth answers. [29.44]

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,704 posts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Futurology, futurist, videos, singularity, transhumanism, climate change, robots, future war, technology, class divides

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users