Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,494 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Don't worry, I'll do threads for other decades (or better yet, you can make them because I'm a lazy motherfucker!), but I wanted to do one for the '80s. Basically the new '50s. 
And of course, by the "80's", I do mean the cultural time period between 1980-1991. This is probably the first decade where it was actually really contained inside its decade. The '50s technically began in 1946 and lasted until right up to the British Invasion in 1964, and the '60s technically started in 1959 what with Eisenhower getting involved in Vietnam, the Cuban revolution, and the rise of the beatniks, and didn't properly end until around the first big oil crisis in 1973. The '70s were barely a decade at all; more like the '60s: Thumbs Down Edition.
The '90s started in 1991 and ended in 2001. No question whatsoever. Started with grunge and the fall of the USSR and ended with 9/11 and the Dot-Com crash. I've seen precisely one person refute this in my entire life, and that's just because he was being pedantic. And the 2000s were also barely their own decade, culturally starting in 2001 and ending in 2008. Ever since then, we've been in the cultural 2010s decade.

The '80s were the real start of all this. The beginning of modern neoliberalism and the commoditization of youth culture, when every cartoon came packaged with a toy and every genre of music was its own tribe in high school.

Never mind the bollocks, this is The '80s!

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Let's start in 1980 itself, with the 1980 Olympic Games. You know, the one America boycotted.

Which led to the 1984 Olympic boycott by the USSR.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

b65ac852ad33de5f3cbdfff010aced3a-1200-80

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

I don't even know what model this is. 

_KAYPRO.JPG

Let's see how sharp my Google-fu is today...

EDIT: Looks like a Kaypro II. So that wasn't just the brand of floppy disks!

• LWFlouisa likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Oh '80s... 

It seems to me that every cartoon in the '80s was actually a 30-minute ad for a toy.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

The '80s were the heyday of anti-drug PSAs

Seriously, Peewee Herman?! 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Here's that infamous commercial singled out: 

Like, holy shit. It's almost as ridiculous as Mr. T telling you not to do drugs.

Who thought this was a good idea?! I'm almost certain this is why there even was a crack epidemic in the '80s.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

d57fc44c9c812ee27c9fd80cc895778c.jpg

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,320 posts

I don't even know what model this is. 

_KAYPRO.JPG

Let's see how sharp my Google-fu is today...

EDIT: Looks like a Kaypro II. So that wasn't just the brand of floppy disks!

Although not a Kraypo, the first computer I worked on looked very much like the one pictured.  Every time you booted up your computer you had to load the program you wanted to use by utilizing the appropriate floppy disk. Want to do a little spread sheet work?

Well, first you had to load Lotus onto the device.   

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,320 posts

Let's start in 1980 itself, with the 1980 Olympic Games. You know, the one America boycotted....

Which led to the 1984 Olympic boycott by the USSR.

As the Wikipedia link explains, the boycott was in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.  Carter, the American President at the time of the invasion, would insist for decades after the event that there was no way anybody in the west could have predicted the invasion.  This ignored a piece by Edward Said in The Nation which predicted the invasion right before it happened.  

That is one reason I look to The Nation to give the scoop on what is really going on. They also explained that, contrary to the claims of the U.S. government, there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.  They documented how and why elements of the government, not to mention the general public, were being fooled into believing that such weapons did exist.  But we are getting ahead of our story, so I will let Yuli continue with his review of this decade, reserving the possibility of further comment on my part. 

• Yuli Ban likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

The two most '80s songs/videos I can imagine...

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Remember my post on Usenet in the '80s (and '90s)? Seriously, it's got to be one of the most fascinating things I've posted since I joined. Which is saying something considering it's only about a month old. But I thoroughly enjoy reading through firsthand accounts of historical events— and I especially enjoy casual firsthand accounts. 

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,320 posts

"------- May 1981 First mention of Microsoft
|
-------- Jun 1981 
First mention of Microsoft MS-DOS
|
-------- Aug 1981 
First review of the IBM-PC"

These kind of surprise me in that I was using them shortly after their “first mention.”

"-------- Jun 1982 First mention of Star Wars Episode 6"

Definitely remember Star Wars.  One thing I remember is that it seemed to be more popular with the pre-teens than Star Trek.  I was pretty much already an adult (chronologically at least) when Star Wars arrived, whereas Star Trek was around before I even made it into my teens. 

"-------- Dec 1982 First thread about AIDS"

AIDS had a horrible impact on the gay community.  Of course it also spread into straight society.  One had to be very careful about sexual contact.  More than anything, this probably resulted in gay liberation.  The closet made it too easy to move from one relationship to the next.  Not being organized as a community also made gays more vulnerable to  AIDs.  Organizing literally became a matter of life or death.  Of course, my sense was that relaxed attitudes about homosexuality would have occurred anyway, but AIDS certainly brought a rational underpinning to the debate.

"-------- Jul 1983 First mention of Madonna"

The material girl. Nuff said.

"-------- Jan 1986 First mention of the Challenger tragedy"

I actually had a premonition regarding that tragedy.  It just seemed like things were going along too easily.  I suspected folks were getting complacent.  I even worried that the disaster would occur with the teacher on board.  Of course, some of that were just random thoughts that go through your head.  It is only afterword that one realizes how valid that particular set of random thoughts happen to be.  Plenty of other premonitions turned out to be inaccurate. 

"-------- Feb 1986 First mention of the MIR space station"

Despite Challenger, by this point such incremental steps in space travel were actually down right boring.

I hope this was casual enough for you.

• Casey and Yuli Ban like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,320 posts

Oh, one more note about the Challenger disaster.  Unforgettable was the account that went into the decision to launch. Went something like "well from an engineering standpoint, we should not launch.  However, we need to put on our manager hats on now and answer the questions as managers."

The only way I could interpret this was to change it around slightly to read as follows:  "well from a rational point of view, we should not launch.  However, we need to be stupid about this, so now we need to put on our dunce hats and answer the question as stupid people."  

Never trusted anything that smacked of "management philosophy" after that.  Too much of an oxymoron for me.

• Yuli Ban likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,320 posts

20292832_10155680102218487_5969897888252

Although it begin in the 70s, M*A*S*H  finished up in the early 80s

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,494 posts

Heathkit_Robot-6.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1980s, cyberpunk, retro, Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Mikhail Gorbachev, new wave punk, hair metal, Nintendo, MTV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users