Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stupid Aliens

aliens isaac arthur video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

I by and large like what he has to say, though I'm disappointed that there aren't more in-depth examples. Seriously, it says stupid aliens, but there are only a few actual aliens discussed! Here are my other criticisms:

• He doesn't consider the case of aliens who are unwilling to eliminate billions of sentient civilians in order to win the war. It seems disingenuous to assume that an alien civilization would be comprised entirely of ruthless and bloodthirsty war criminals--they would likely fall under Isaac's own category of self-destructive civilizations. We are not like that, why would all alien civilizations be like that? The US could have won within days in Vietnam, Iraq, etc. had we freely used nuclear weapons. But instead we held back--as we have in basically every war since WWII--and thus these wars dragged on far longer than they could have had the US had no morals.
  • He doesn't consider imperialism as a motive for invasion. Perhaps aliens have come to spread their religion, culture, or political systems. That requires a planet with a civilization on it, and it requires refraining from destroying the civilization. Hence they have to get down and dirty with Earthlings.
  • He doesn't consider interstellar novices. We could have started building a starship in the 1960s or 1970s had the world united together with that goal in mind. Which suggests that a civilization with 22nd, 21st, or even late 20th century technology could in principle launch an invasion. They would also have a much harder time invading Earth for obvious reasons.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

But yet you oppose the idea of the world uniting together towards anything. I honestly disagree as uniting would be the best approach for something as costly as going to other planets. wouldn't you think?

You make the third example sound like it would be good for humanity but you personally don't like it.

Jakob I think you're right about the top 2# as we have 1. compassion and 2. that is what America and most advanced society's do on earth.

LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNashChat

Aliens are as diverse as humans. If anybody is disingenuous, it's Dr. Stephen Greer. It's also not Alien, it's extraterrestrial.

As far as uniting, I don't like the either/or.

Diaspora, GNUSocial, Movim, Mastodon, or Quitter work fine under a decentralized system, with the same source code.

When people like Richard Dolan say the world should be more united, I got to wonder if they really think about all the Big Brothery implications of this.

It's such a blind spot, considering Dolan is a Left Libertarian (Classical Liberal.)

Cerebrum Cerebellum -- Speculative Non-Fiction -- Writing

Luna Network -- Nodal Sneaker Network -- Programming

Published Works: https://www.wattpad.com/432077022-tevun-krus-44-sword-planet-the-intergalactic-heads

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

You do realize that anything that allows the rich barons the ability to mistreat the poor or the workers isn't left wing.

left wing has always been for more freedom and rights for those two groups.

• LWFlouisa likes this

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I by and large like what he has to say, though I'm disappointed that there aren't more in-depth examples. Seriously, it says stupid aliens, but there are only a few actual aliens discussed! Here are my other criticisms:

• He doesn't consider the case of aliens who are unwilling to eliminate billions of sentient civilians in order to win the war. It seems disingenuous to assume that an alien civilization would be comprised entirely of ruthless and bloodthirsty war criminals--they would likely fall under Isaac's own category of self-destructive civilizations. We are not like that, why would all alien civilizations be like that? The US could have won within days in Vietnam, Iraq, etc. had we freely used nuclear weapons. But instead we held back--as we have in basically every war since WWII--and thus these wars dragged on far longer than they could have had the US had no morals.
  • He doesn't consider imperialism as a motive for invasion. Perhaps aliens have come to spread their religion, culture, or political systems. That requires a planet with a civilization on it, and it requires refraining from destroying the civilization. Hence they have to get down and dirty with Earthlings.
  • He doesn't consider interstellar novices. We could have started building a starship in the 1960s or 1970s had the world united together with that goal in mind. Which suggests that a civilization with 22nd, 21st, or even late 20th century technology could in principle launch an invasion. They would also have a much harder time invading Earth for obvious reasons.
All of your points highlight our embarassing infancy as an advanced lifeform and even as a unified civilisation. There wont be any partial war worth waging from a real advanced alien. There is no need, these ideas are our ongoing animalistic war on ourselves.

Also, considering we are all going digital and will soon be centralising all knowledge and information for new born human AI to process, this will make knowledge transfer easier for them. They could even get a nice blue ray version of ID4 with spam removed from piratebay and file it on their systems as Comedy if they wanted.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aliens, isaac arthur, video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users