Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts
  • LocationLondon

POPULAR

I think it's time we had a personal chat thread, so forumers can get to know each other better. :) Use this thread for general discussions about yourself and stuff that's happening in your life (good and bad). Or if you're feeling bored/lonely and just need to chat. This thread can also provide more space to write than the status updates – and it's more private, since the off-topic section is hidden from public view.

Please try to avoid excessive discussions about politics etc. This thread should be a "safe space".

22nd-century-728x400px.jpg

• eacao, Casey, Cody930 and 9 others like this

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Interesting idea for a thread... but here i'll prefer to listen rather than talk.

• Futurist likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 6,035 posts

22nd-century-728x400px.jpg

If only this site had a VR extension so we could meet here.

• wjfox, Yuli Ban and BasilBerylium like this

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

If only this site had a VR extension so we could meet here.

I think it will appear within next 10 years, will be common within next 20 years, and will become only possible within next 30 years. And the old people (we) will grumble about "old good forums... where are they now?"

• Jakob likes this

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationUK

I think this could either become one of the most active threads on the forum or it will dissipate into nothing within a few days.

Personally, I wouldn't like to get too carried away in revealing all sorts of details about my personal life. I did this in some thread here when I was 14 where people were posting street view pictures of where they lived and, yes, the young and stupid me did this too - which I deeply regret now that theoretically anyone can visit this site and find out where I live, even if they would have to do some deep trawling.

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s
After I'm done waiting for the bloody parking meter I might write some stuff up, good idea Will :)
  • wjfox likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Personally, I wouldn't like to get too carried away in revealing all sorts of details about my personal life. I did this in some thread here when I was 14 where people were posting street view pictures of where they lived and, yes, the young and stupid me did this too - which I deeply regret now that theoretically anyone can visit this site and find out where I live, even if they would have to do some deep trawling.

Yes, it was me who created this thread :) But you can ask someone of mods to remove this exact post with your location.

As for me, i'm not aftaid at all. I've left more than enough traces in internet, so the "competent comrades" can easily find and identify me. But why would they focus on my humble person? Thus, i can easily post my place again:

18902819.jpg

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationUK

Do you remember what the thread is called?

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Do you remember what the thread is called?

Yes i do, but google failed to find it. Perhaps the thread was already deleted. If not, this is somewhere in "offtopic" section, i'll try to find... 

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

i'll try to find... 

Here is it:

Your neighborhood in google street view

• joe00uk likes this

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationUK

Thanks!

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,891 posts
  • LocationLondon

I think this could either become one of the most active threads on the forum or it will dissipate into nothing within a few days.

On SkyscraperCity, we have a similar thread. It's the single most viewed (and most replied to) thread in the UK sub-forum, over 1.3 million views.

• Erowind likes this

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
Cool thread!

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

currently trending in our country. nice, strong-willed but ugly kid cyberbullied for being ugly, gets a surgery and makeover. twitterworld reacts.

before:

after surgery:

"People never really like me for who i am, cause i was never what they wanted me to be."

Twitter reaction:

https://www.rappler....rends-worldwide

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

Okay so now that I've had some delicious Thai food and won my battle against the tyrannical forces of parking meters that won't let you top them up until they've run down their whole time limit I'll tell you guys a bit about my very radical life, it's maniacal! xD

Here's some music to listen too while reading the post.

About a year ago I read the anarcho-transhumanist manifesto ----> https://docs.google....Ck0u_QhyBc/edit

Catgirl.png

For the first time in my life I read something political where the majority of its tenets spoke to me, I was always an anarchist but until discovering what anarchism was I largely felt like an alien whose ideas were insane. There were some things I disagreed with at the time but they've grown on me over the past year. About a month after reading that, I read What is Anarchism by Alexander Berkman which in combination with getting into an argument with a bureaucrat radicalized me. Since then, I've dedicated more and more of my time to the revolution, because in my mind it is the best way to defend science and bring freedom and prosperity to all. For me right now this involves becoming financially independent and doing a lot of activism--eventually I'd like to fund the founding of co-ops, collectives, communes and ecovilliages en mass.

So what does all that activism look like you ask? Firstly I'm part of the IWW which involves a large range of things, we've helped lobby city council to prevent privatization of water purification infrastructure in low income neighborhoods, this would cause hiked rates for folks that already can barely afford water as well as contribute to the growing lead problem. We also organize peace marches, offer jail support for arrested comrades--lawyers and paying bail--help workers fight legal battles against their workplaces seizing their paychecks and or pensions, run riot medic trainings and send books to prisoners.

mke-iww.jpg

The other big thing I do is co-own a collective bookstore called The Big Idea. We are anti profit and undercut literally everyone's prices with everything we sell on top of offering a safe radical space for people to hold events and find like minded individuals.

Examples of our radically low prices!

French press of coffee = $3--about 4 mugs worth

Tea = $1.5

Printer usage = $0.06 per page (For context, Kinkos cost $0.14-0.18 per page.)

Book publishing = $8 per book, we print titles like Peter Kropotkin's the Conquest of Bread on demand. (This book costs $15 from a normal publisher)

Pictures of The Big Idea

345a4f4e4fea48056517d66349e2a35e.png

731870.jpeg

big-idea-feature.jpg

I think my favorite part of this space is that we are bringing intellectual discourse back to the common man and destroying the barriers that academia has created. We regularly hold workshops and discussion groups on everything from computer science--hosted by some local CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) professors--to philosophy and economics. The revolution never died, it's just getting ready for round three! 

DISCLAIMER: I promise in my next post on this thread I won't touch anything political--this post is not meant to advocate for my ideology, rather it's meant to give you a glimpse into my life as of late--which involves a lot of activism.

• wjfox, joe00uk, Outlook and 1 other like this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

^^^For many of us, the personal is political, and the political is highly personal.

Kind of a variation on the "all politics are local."

So what am I doing that is not political....

Playing with the cat is about the most I can come up.  That and the honey do this list that my wife assigns to me. The cat is funny, the list is boring.

Edit:  Oh yes, and I also post a lot of non-political stuff on Facebook.  Mostly photos I have taken.

• joe00uk likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Oh yes, and I also post a lot of non-political stuff on Facebook.  Mostly photos I have taken.

I like it too. Walk / trip without camera is a lost walk / trip. And btw, returning back to our yesterday's debate about "thousands of protesters" and "right angle"... This is my picture of Victory Day of 2017 in Samara. That's how really mass meeting looks like:

Spoiler

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

And a question: where exactly do you, guys, keep your photos? Is there any main and widely accepted free hosting where everyone can post / keep his photos and freely watch and rate other's stuff? In Russia, this is Yandex.Fotki with millions (if not tens of millions) users, including me. I thought Google Photos should be the analogue, but no...

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

And a question: where exactly do you, guys, keep your photos?

Imgur?

• wjfox likes this

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationUK

I keep my photos/videos on Google Photos. Whether or not this is the best idea, I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users