Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
1089 replies to this topic

TwinCentaur

TwinCentaur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationEarth

I worry about the timelines validity due to it being wrong before and peoples own stupidity at times (NOT talkin about you guys!) I hope we make a break through in Longevity as my family on average only lives to be about a hundred to hundred five years old. I would love to live for millennia but please do not turn me into a computer! I am very fond of my soul y'know? Maybe they can start a department of longevity as a field of research and then we can live on?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationLondon

During our monthly staff breakfast earlier, the boss was talking about our company's future plans, etc.

Was interesting to hear him talk about 5G, and mention the possibility of holographic people in meetings within 5-10 years.

He also mentioned taking greater efforts to reduce our carbon emissions.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I'm having trouble with dieting and shedding off the last of my weight, and I've been feeling frustrated, but I realize that I have money now to do something like keto satisfactorily now, and that I have a lot of options open for me if I just take the initiative.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/Gnyr3sbdKkU

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

There's this frustrating thing I'm dealing with, where the only way I can read is if I speak out-loud. For some reason, only then does the focus come to me. If I sit down and try to read silently, I can't help but hop onto other stuff. It's probably because my focus is busted due to the barrage of information I place on my brain daily. Not fun. Have to find a way to go back to being able to read long stuff without dismissing it after the first paragraph.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

There's this frustrating thing I'm dealing with, where the only way I can read is if I speak out-loud. For some reason, only then does the focus come to me. If I sit down and try to read silently, I can't help but hop onto other stuff. It's probably because my focus is busted due to the barrage of information I place on my brain daily. Not fun. Have to find a way to go back to being able to read long stuff without dismissing it after the first paragraph.

Do you subvocalize? I find that when I read I'm muttering very or miming the words without realizing it. I'm very jealous of the people who learned to read without subvocalization because I can only imagine that they're able to comprehend texts quicker. 

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I wouldn't know the difference, tbh. I've read thatsubvocalization was when you heard a voice in your head when you read and I was like "isn't that normal?". Either way, no one can read much faster than average with complete understanding because you sacrifice comprehension the faster you go, which for stuff like fiction can be okay, but for dense non-fiction? Matters more on your method of study than on brute speed.

The frustrating thing about reading out-loud is the fact that it gets tiring real quick. Like 20 pages of a book I'm reading takes 45 minutes of talking to finish. By the end, my jaw hurts.

I think I just need to cut off for a while. I've also been feeling insecure, intellectually, and lost, philosophically, so I want to take the time to really dig deep and read my books. I'll have to re-read Plato again. There's no question that I read him out wrong.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

I wouldn't know the difference, tbh. I've read thatsubvocalization was when you heard a voice in your head when you read and I was like "isn't that normal?". Either way, no one can read much faster than average with complete understanding because you sacrifice comprehension the faster you go, which for stuff like fiction can be okay, but for dense non-fiction? Matters more on your method of study than on brute speed.

The frustrating thing about reading out-loud is the fact that it gets tiring real quick. Like 20 pages of a book I'm reading takes 45 minutes of talking to finish. By the end, my jaw hurts.

I think I just need to cut off for a while. I've also been feeling insecure, intellectually, and lost, philosophically, so I want to take the time to really dig deep and read my books. I'll have to re-read Plato again. There's no question that I read him out wrong.

It's late and I just got home so only two direct quick things.

One, absolutely on re-reading Plato. I'm committing to 4 passes on any book I want to truly understand now. First I read it like a novel with quick notes if I feel like responding to the author. The second pass is a deep read with comprehensive note taking and question asking. The third pass is question answering, continued dialogue with the author and understanding. Finally the fourth pass is total comprehension for good measure.

Second thing. Absolutely again, I don't think either of us are truly philosophicalally grounded atm. We're both very naive and only recently truly digging into philosophical works. Like, right now I'm a big fan of Heidegger and you're a fan of the Stoics. But I can remember you being very into Spinoza (maybe you still are) and myself being very into Descartes.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationLondon

Well, it's official. I've begun stockpiling food, in anticipation of a no-deal Brexit on 29th March.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationLondon

After giving this a lot of thought, I've decided to stay 39. I mean, 40 is cool and everything, but it's a little too old. So I'll just be 39, if that's okay? Yeah, I'd prefer that. We can always renegotiate at some future point, and maybe one day I'll be 40, but for the foreseeable future I'll just settle for 39. Thanks.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
You see, that's the type of stuff that makes me scared to grow up.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

I'm hoping to reach 6 kiloposts soon.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
Happy valentines day everybody.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationLondon

My Brexit stockpile, so far.

The UHT milk should last through the early stages of the crisis.

I'll be adding a load more in the coming days/weeks. I have tons of storage space elsewhere.

16.jpg

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Woo, I got 1234 likes. I've peaked.

PhoenixRu2020

PhoenixRu2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Woo, I got 1234 likes. I've peaked.

Already 1235, if this is so important...

PhoenixRu2020

PhoenixRu2020

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

My Brexit stockpile, so far.

I don't think this have much sense. Few months later, you yourself will laugh at this: "What "hard brexit"? Nothing has changed..."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationLondon

I don't think this have much sense. Few months later, you yourself will laugh at this: "What "hard brexit"? Nothing has changed..."

We leave the EU by default (i.e. with or without an agreement) on 29th March. Nothing as yet prevents this. Parliament is deadlocked. Our cross-channel freight capacity is expected to plunge by almost 90% under a no-deal, and the UK is only 60% self-sufficient in food production. There are numerous other impacts. The UK's biggest supermarkets have written letters to our government, warning of empty shelves and huge price rises. I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationLondon
My alcohol tolerance seems to have hit a record low lately. One large glass of red wine for lunch today, and I'm completely zonked for the rest of the day.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,080 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Starting to get a little concerned about sci-tech, but in a very good way. 

2019 has gotten off to an absolutely bitchin' start for futurology in so many ways that I can scarcely believe it's really happening. And I think I'm going to remember Valentine's Day 2019 for quite some time. 

Seriously, does... does anyone else feel some sort of shift in mindset since seeing GPT-2? Or is it just me? Because that thing rocked me to my core. Not since spring 2014 have I ever felt AGI was so close— and of course, in 2014 that was just because I was amazed at the potential for deep learning and memristors 5-10 years down the line. This is more or less the real deal, what 2014-me was expecting to see, something whose effects we could start seeing immediately.

The only lackluster part thus far has been robotics— outside the UBTECH humanoid robot at CES, there hasn't been much. Where's Boston Dynamics— don't they usually have an amazing robot video in February? What about the ANYmal robots? What's Honda's successor to ASIMO? I'm not expecting a full-fledged utility droid, just some flashy spectacle. I've been spoiled by Boston Dynamics. I need more parkourbots. 

We're not even three months into the year, and it's already one for the record books.

No, seriously, GPT-2 is almost scary. Like, if you asked me when I expected something like this, I'd have said next decade. Maybe 2025. It doesn't seem possible something like it could exist this decade. It's easily the most generalized AI that currently exists, a perfect example of what I was talking about when I came up with "artificial expert intelligence". It is a weak AXI. 

The fact I can say that is fucking unprecedented. I was always just a bit unsure with AlphaZero, even though it technically counts, but this is the real deal. It's probably the first time ever that an AI is doing some magic itself rather than just being a supremely-well programmed piece of machinery. Like, DeepMind's networks are amazing, but all of the magic comes from the world-class team of programmers that designed them. Not to knock OpenAI, but it seems like at least something about their GPT-2 network is self-emergent, beyond what the programmers themselves could have accounted for. I don't know or claim to know enough about it to make that call (and OpenAI has been very helpful in that regard by refusing to release the full thing), but I just feel there's something there. There is some fleeting ghost in that machine.

For the first time, AGI feels tangible. It's no longer some incorporeal concept conceived by a New York Jew with severe death anxiety but something genuinely within our grasp. And we accomplished it without adding brain data or using extremely fancy algorithms; this thing was built out of fairly simple parts, from what I've heard. And yet it is a quantum leap forward in the state of the art.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,080 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

That aforementioned concern is borne more from fears about the social and political ramifications of these developments. We're starting to actively discuss things like media synthesis, media manipulation, automation, and human genetic engineering in the mainstream. GPT-2 wasn't released precisely out of the fear it would be used for nefarious purposes right as the 2020 election season is winding up and Brexit is rapidly approaching

And imagine phishing scams with a refined version of thispersondoesnotexist.com! 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users