Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
Epictetus' Enchiridion is such an unbelievably wise and perfect work. Everytime I go through it over and over again, the more things make sense. Things that I rolled my eyes on just click. It's hard to share the feeling I have reflecting on it, but it feels like I've read a masterpiece.
  • eacao and Erowind like this

Outlook's secret song of the week: https://youtu.be/AcXp7m1g5yE

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Epictetus' Enchiridion is such an unbelievably wise and perfect work. Everytime I go through it over and over again, the more things make sense. Things that I rolled my eyes on just click. It's hard to share the feeling I have reflecting on it, but it feels like I've read a masterpiece.

http://www.lettersof...-dozen.html?m=1
  • Outlook likes this
Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts

Thinking of quitting Facebook. For real, this time. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

The more time and effort I put into Facebook, the more angry, annoyed, jealous, and depressed I become.

So why even bother with it anymore?

During these few years, I created and then closed three twitter accounts. Not because twitter is boring. On contrary: those endless political flamewars and trolling of different kinds of bastards were entertaining. So entertaining that, eventually, you realize: this went too far, this becomes an addiction. And you must stop it and spend your mind and your free time on something more constructive.

And you do it... but then...

=== === ===

Second: this night i had another sci-fi dream. Usually, my dreams are weird incoherent crap and I forget them right after awakening, but this one I remember in great detail. I was living in some country (clearly not Russia) and was a "pilot" - in fact, operator of military drone. Our group was called "chain two" and our current task the protection of airspace over some megapolis during some sport event. Our country was in state of long and low-intense war with someone else, so this enemy would try (and actually tried) to disrupt the normal course of things.

We failed. In one terrible day, our "chain two" noticed two targets which were moving right towards "Dome" - the huge structure where those sport events (olympics?) took place. They (targets) were just too fast and too smart for us to intercept. First thing hit the "Dome", the second one exploded one or two kilometers away. Both were tactical nuclear missiles. Two brighest flares, the "Dome" collapsing inside itself, the sports commentator’s shocked voice: “the match seems to be over... let me remind you, our team was in third place...” And I realized that my military service (or life itself) is over too.

And here I awoke.

I remember having those kinds of dreams when I was younger.  Not as vivid as the one you describe, but involving nuclear war.  I also a remember naratives in my dream like "well now that New Yrok and Cincinatti have been destroyed, the Yankees and the Reds will no longer be playing in the majors.  Ok, maybe nothing quite as symbolically stark as "Yankees" and "the Reds" - but still quite surreal.

• Erowind likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,610 posts
  • LocationLondon

I sometimes feel like I need three or four "duplicates" of me, in order to work at the pace I want. I currently have 27 tabs open in both browsers, and keep switching between them as I work on different stuff. There just isn't enough time in the day! Hmm, perhaps I need some employees to do research and writing for me... :)

• Erowind likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Lots of stuff happened today. I went to the thrift store and book hauled the shit out of the place with the money I got left over for myself (not the money I set aside to save). I got history books on western europe from the medieval ages to the early modern, I got an anthology on american literature, I got 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson, and I got a writing manual. Also, my half-aunt died today. I only remembered her as an old kind woman I visited once in a while, so I'm not too moved by it, but lots of other family members are, so I'm a bit troubled by how I should show my sympathy. Like, I feel sad that she died, but I'm not depressed or gloomy as I imagine it being. She died an old woman in her 80s with a large family, grandchildren, her husband still beside her, and with children that supported her. That's a way almost everyone wants to go, so it's bittersweet. Although I feel sympathy for her husband. Losing a partner in old age has to be incomprehensibly hard.

• eacao and Erowind like this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

Thinking of quitting Facebook. For real, this time. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

The more time and effort I put into Facebook, the more angry, annoyed, jealous, and depressed I become.

So why even bother with it anymore?

During these few years, I created and then closed three twitter accounts. Not because twitter is boring. On contrary: those endless political flamewars and trolling of different kinds of bastards were entertaining. So entertaining that, eventually, you realize: this went too far, this becomes an addiction. And you must stop it and spend your mind and your free time on something more constructive.

And you do it... but then...

=== === ===

Second: this night i had another sci-fi dream. Usually, my dreams are weird incoherent crap and I forget them right after awakening, but this one I remember in great detail. I was living in some country (clearly not Russia) and was a "pilot" - in fact, operator of military drone. Our group was called "chain two" and our current task the protection of airspace over some megapolis during some sport event. Our country was in state of long and low-intense war with someone else, so this enemy would try (and actually tried) to disrupt the normal course of things.

We failed. In one terrible day, our "chain two" noticed two targets which were moving right towards "Dome" - the huge structure where those sport events (olympics?) took place. They (targets) were just too fast and too smart for us to intercept. First thing hit the "Dome", the second one exploded one or two kilometers away. Both were tactical nuclear missiles. Two brighest flares, the "Dome" collapsing inside itself, the sports commentator’s shocked voice: “the match seems to be over... let me remind you, our team was in third place...” And I realized that my military service (or life itself) is over too.

And here I awoke.

I remember having those kinds of dreams when I was younger.  Not as vivid as the one you describe, but involving nuclear war.  I also a remember naratives in my dream like "well now that New Yrok and Cincinatti have been destroyed, the Yankees and the Reds will no longer be playing in the majors.  Ok, maybe nothing quite as symbolically stark as "Yankees" and "the Reds" - but still quite surreal.

Likewise. Nuclear war dreams tend to happen when something in my life is going terribly wrong. In this case learning my cat that's lived with me for 15 years has 3 months to live. 

It was so real the other night. I was at a drive through for some fast food joint when I heard the emergency broadcast system go off. You know the one, it's hopefully burned into the collective consciousness of all Americans. Something was off though, this has never happened in my dreams before in relation to a nightmare. The emergency broadcast sounded like it was coming from the sky, not my cars radio. Then it hit me, this is a dream, the broadcast is happening in real life and I'm hearing it outside my head while asleep! I struggled as quickly as I could to wake myself up as the dread of those tones set in. As my eyes started to open and I was still in a half awake stupor I heard the words in that robotic voice, "nuclear missile alert for Allegheny county and all surrounding metropolitan areas." Hearing this while I was partially awake only confirmed that it was real. I genuinely thought I might die.

My brain was rushing with what to do at this point. The best bet would have been to run into basement and stack as much junk next to the outside facing cellar door as possible as before the fallout hit. We'd need to grab as much food as possible in that time too. After that I was fully awake and perturbed. I rushed around my room to find the source of the broadcast to listen for more details while simultaneously getting ready to bolt out the door and wake my mom. When my phone didn't yield any results I played with my alarm clock for a minute trying to figure out how the broadcast turned its radio on. Only then did I finally realize my brain was messing with me. 

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I submitted my university application. $390 fucking dollars for 3 fucking university courses that I neither don't want nor might not get accepted in, just to make my parents fucking shut up. A week's worth of work. Bah. If the tuition is too much, screw it, I'm moving out and skipping on university until I'm actually ready. I'm just holding on to the Stoic maxims that money doesn't mean much. Just hold onto the virtues and react calmly. I must trust that my parents know more about this than I do, and at the end of the day computer science isn't that bad. I just need to get ready before I sell my soul to a career.

• Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

I submitted my university application. $390 fucking dollars for 3 fucking university courses that I neither don't want nor might not get accepted in, just to make my parents fucking shut up. A week's worth of work. Bah. If the tuition is too much, screw it, I'm moving out and skipping on university until I'm actually ready. I'm just holding on to the Stoic maxims that money doesn't mean much. Just hold onto the virtues and react calmly. I must trust that my parents know more about this than I do, and at the end of the day computer science isn't that bad. I just need to get ready before I sell my soul to a career.

Don't give up your soul to the corporate world friend, or if you must, only for a time. Plan your escape and don't let consumerist pleasures impede hoarding the resources you need to break out.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Don't give up your soul to the corporate world friend, or if you must, only for a time. Plan your escape and don't let consumerist pleasures impede hoarding the resources you need to break out.

I probably won't. I'm just stressed and needed to get some things off my chest. I've been working like 50 hour weeks trying to increase my savings, and I feel like I'm staring at the hole of complacency that I'm scared of. I don't know now whether I should devote my life to trying to make money through writing out whatever stories will, or just devote myself to study. I "rationalise" that if I can become a successful self-publishing author, then I can get enough money to live by myself and control every aspect of my life by myself.

I don't want to forego my familial responsibilities due to the fact that I am human, I belong to a family, and I do not have a right to own a good family, just a family, so I must make do with what I have. While I don't condone false comfort, and being compliant with toxic people, I think it's important to maintain a connection, and help those who are close to you if you have the strength and wisdom. On the other hand I can be complacent with the current situation and try to continue studying what I want. I make money now, a good amount, and so I can devote myself to studying without worrying about whether my parents will kick me out. 

I don't know man. I think money is the way for me. I need money so I can become fully independent. I've worked the cash register in a fast food place for I think 2 weeks now. I feel like I can handle the worst of people after going through that 3rd circle of hell. I just need to take control over all aspects of my life in order to become fully responsible and move out one day. 

• Erowind likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,610 posts
  • LocationLondon

Probably going to work on GDPR this weekend.

If I can finish that, my next task will be sorting the merchandise store.

Then hopefully we can get Past Timeline up and running.

• Zaphod, Yuli Ban and Outlook like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,610 posts
  • LocationLondon
I'm a fan of John Bercow.

https://www.theguard...-in-john-bercow

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

John Bercow's the man. All the other speakers were either very strict teachers, or incompetent. He's more like a nanny or mother who's stopping a fight between their children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users