Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
631 replies to this topic

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I've started planning my courses for next spring. One way or another, I'll finally begin studying AI, so I'll no longer be a random layperson. I'm also going to download TensorFlow over winter break and have a look at that. Fun stuff.

Now I just have to survive this clusterfuck of a semester.

You'll still be random. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

I've started planning my courses for next spring. One way or another, I'll finally begin studying AI, so I'll no longer be a random layperson. I'm also going to download TensorFlow over winter break and have a look at that. Fun stuff.

Now I just have to survive this clusterfuck of a semester.

You'll still be random. 

Your posts are random.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

epic_lulz.png

Homework.

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Can we all admit that without evidence there's NO GOD?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist." - Salman Rushdie

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest,” — Thomas Paine

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Btw, i always wanted to ask: what do you think about my English? Yes, i know, you're all very polite, for all these years i never heard a single reply like "lol what did he tried to say?" To me, foreign language is always an obstacle, especially when it comes to rare and special terminology. Yes, in this case i have to ask google translator and can only hope the damn thing translated properly. Otherwise my average post would be 2-3 times larger.

So, what do you think? Frankly, and not politely?

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Btw, i always wanted to ask: what do you think about my English? Yes, i know, you're all very polite, for all these years i never heard a single reply like "lol what did he tried to say?" To me, foreign language is always an obstacle, especially when it comes to rare and special terminology. Yes, in this case i have to ask google translator and can only hope the damn thing translated properly. Otherwise my average post would be 2-3 times larger.

Very good. Ashamed of mine as a native english speaker. 

• Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

Can you keep this stuff out of the personal chat thread?

• wjfox and Jakob like this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Did you even read the original post? This is exactly the spot for his comment. Sure it might be annoying or whatever but it's where people can have discussion like they are doing on his status update. You call yourself an anarchist? Check yourself you commie. 

Edit: In other words he is so lonely we need to indulge him. :)))

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationIn some cafe eating--yes eating--roasted coffee beans and reading semiotext(e)s

Did you even read the original post? This is exactly the spot for his comment. Sure it might be annoying or whatever but it's where people can have discussion like they are doing on his status update. You call yourself an anarchist? Check yourself you commie. 

Edit: In other words he is so lonely we need to indulge him. :)))

I just don't want the thread to become derailed with theism vs athiesm debates, you're right, I shouldin't be so dismissive of them. If you're here SC, I'm sorry.

• BasilBerylium likes this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

I've read most of your posts and like TG said, your English is pretty good. :)

• Erowind likes this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Pretty good, and better than mine.

This website has a magic that makes people draw back here like moths to light.

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 6,054 posts

The witching hour came and went and I'm still up.

Didn't see any horrific apparitions, except for my math homework.

3-4 AM is a really weird time to be up. Even the night owls have gone to bed and the early risers won't be up for a few hours.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 12,999 posts

DNBpfAqXcAA3afN.jpg

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist." - Salman Rushdie

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest,” — Thomas Paine

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

The witching hour came and went and I'm still up.

Didn't see any horrific apparitions, except for my math homework.

3-4 AM is a really weird time to be up. Even the night owls have gone to bed and the early risers won't be up for a few hours.

I'm regularly up at those times on my morning 4 AM shift weeks (including this week). :p Same when I was on overnights as well but I usually was ending around those times.

• Jakob likes this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationAustralia

DNBpfAqXcAA3afN.jpg

gFF8twX.png

Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationAustralia

yeah even though you're undeniably legible and better at getting your point across than most native english speakers, you make some syntax and grammatical errors pretty consistently. I don't pay attention or keep track of erros specifically, so it's tough to come up with examples at this moment off the top of my head, but I'll keep an eye out and PM you if you'd like. In this post for example, your use of "lol what did he tried to say" has the tense wrong. That should be "lol what did he try to say". 

I'd place a very high bet that the reason why you've never heard people say "lol what did he try to say" is because you're good at communicating. Grammatical errors, syntax or tense haven't been an obstacle for you. I can't remember ever having difficulty comprehending your message.

• Yuli Ban, Infinite and rennerpetey like this
Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • 6,054 posts

It's obvious you're not a native English speaker, but I've never had trouble understanding what you're saying. Usually it's just small things like getting tenses and the like wrong.

• Cody930 and Yuli Ban like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,062 posts
  • LocationLondon

Barely 24 hours since I had my new phone line installed, and already I've had two calls from Indian insurance scammers, telling me I've been involved in a car accident. I just advised the last one to "do something more productive with your life, and stop trying to scam people, you sad loser."

• Casey likes this

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationUK

Well I doubt they want to spend their lives doing that. A job's a job, that's why they do it. Either that or starve.

• Infinite and Erowind like this

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Well I doubt they want to spend their lives doing that. A job's a job, that's why they do it. Either that or starve.

Very true. It's hard to gain an accurate perspective on how hard life can be in developing countries from our comfortable position in the developed Western world.

@wjfox Is there any way you can block incoming calls from selected countries? Maybe this could help?
  • Erowind likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users