Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
713 replies to this topic

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

That's wild. I also just learned that those same drilling techniques used by the Song were rediscovered and used in 20th century china. Some of these wooden oil drilling platforms were over 100M tall! Imagine seeing this in ancient China. 

2004-06-chinese-drilling-fig10.jpg

https://csegrecorder...hinese-drilling

• Yuli Ban and PhoenixRu like this

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

What's more, the Mongols destroyed Song Dynasty China. This is extremely important because the Southern Song Dynasty was very close to an industrial revolution. So close: they had joint-stock companies, they were refining steel, mining coal, and drilling for oil. They even had a printing press centuries before Gutenberg. Then the Mongols utterly destroyed them, subjugated them for about 3 centuries, and subsequently retarded their development until communism arose in 1949, seven centuries later.

The problem of China was not in technologies, but in society itself:

1) Chinese feudal class was stronger and better organized (rigid state bureaucracy with rich experience and traditions) than their European collegues.

2) At the same time, Chinese feudal class was quasi-open, there was no concept of "blue bloods". Theoretically, any peasant could pass the exams to start a career. So, the rich merchants (the possible future capitalists) strived to rather join the already existing ruling class than overthrow it.

I'm not saying that native Chinese capitalism was impossible, but it was clearly harder to do than in Europe.

• Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Btw, that's what came to mind: medieval Italy was the reverse example. Feudal class was too weak and city-states were strong enough, and therefore capitalism arose earlier than you could expect (with purely medieval technologies and without any industrial revolution). This was rather merchant than industrial capitalism, but nevertheless...

There was even the real "proletarian revolution", happened in 1378 AD!

1096_il_tumulto_dei_ciompi.jpg

=== === ===

PS maybe you should move few last posts to some "alternate history" thread.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I took the pottermore quiz out of curiosity, and I got sorted into Slytherin god damn it.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/QAlMaVYIzqw

IMPERATOR!

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
I'm Ravenclaw if I remember right. /\
  • Outlook likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I got a new phone! Its the Xiaomi Pocofone f1. For certain the Chinese are spying on me but I mean with Google, NSA, and CSIS doing the deed domestically already, it really makes it meaningless.
  • wjfox, Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

IMPERATOR!

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
I've got a one plus one and my attitude has been that I'd rather a foreign country spy on me than any domestic force. Because if China hypothetically thinks I'm the spawn of Satan they can't do anything about it. If domestic forces do they can do something about it.
  • wjfox, Yuli Ban and Outlook like this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
Going to a habitat for humanity build tomorrow. With my political campaigning and my job, I feel like that's the only thing that has any significant virtuous value. If I die, at least I can say that I helped build affordable homes for the poor.
  • Erowind likes this

IMPERATOR!

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Going to a habitat for humanity build tomorrow. With my political campaigning and my job, I feel like that's the only thing that has any significant virtuous value. If I die, at least I can say that I helped build affordable homes for the poor.

I didn't do much except assist and move things/hold things up for people. My arms are pretty weak and shakey. I got to go up on a scaffold though for the first time in my life, and the view up there was nice. I left early though because I was getting drowzy. Making this an excuse to fix my sleep schedule since they start work early.
  • Erowind likes this

IMPERATOR!

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Since 2014, I have a weird habit to collect the yearly editions of standard "World and Russia" map:

i209116.jpg

This map is a kind of photo of the world in each given year: changing state borders (happened only once), renamed countries (happened twice) and cities (many times). So, two days ago I bought the 2019 edition... and this map is already outdated! Who would have thought!

• Yuli Ban, Jakob, Outlook and 1 other like this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I read "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs" by Ellison, and I took some things out of it. I've returned back to writing with the interest of making lots of money and being good at the craft, so I'm reading these stories as 'lessons'. Anyways, what I realized was that in order for someone to become a political extremist, they must first accept violence as a right act. Not in the sense of self-defense, but in the sense that violence is justified for the attainment of another goal.

IMPERATOR!

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Look what I found:

https://vk.com/wsnws

Here you can download the fresh (or old, if you want) newspapers and magazines in English, German, French, or Spanish. Everything in PDF format and for free.

Not sure how long will this place exist though.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationLondon

I was incredibly busy in the office lately, and tired, which limited my ability to post blogs/predictions. But now I finally have a week's holiday – plenty of time to do FT updates!

• Zaphod and Yuli Ban like this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

I must admit, most of Russian sci-fi is a sad trash. Such a trash that, sometimes, you feel embarrassed reading this.

But there are rare diamonds and here is one of them: "Rose and worm" by Robert Ibatullin. The events happening in the world of XXV century and divided into three layers: Earth (few semi-barbarian societies on the territory of former Russia), colonies in Solar System, long independent from Earth and divided into two hostile powers: Pleroma and Dual alliance. And, finally, the unfriendly aliens, who were attracted by human progress and whose goals remain unknown. Technology, society, politics, culture, even changes in spoken language - everything is well-thought (afaik, author is professional historian).

In short, if it will ever be translated to English, I highly recommend it to read.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

I read "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs" by Ellison, and I took some things out of it. I've returned back to writing with the interest of making lots of money and being good at the craft, so I'm reading these stories as 'lessons'. Anyways, what I realized was that in order for someone to become a political extremist, they must first accept violence as a right act. Not in the sense of self-defense, but in the sense that violence is justified for the attainment of another goal.

Out of curiosity would define direct action as extremism? Where I define direct action as ignoring the state and just doing what one thinks is right. An example here would be when Ghandi and his followers marches on the salt mines. He believed salt was a human right. They didn't plead to officials by say blocking a road and asking for salt (civil disobedience) the message was, "we are taking the salt you try to stop us."

Now Ghandi was nonviolent so his group didn't fight the 60,000+ arrests that came their way. Me being an anarchist would advocate violently resisting the police in that circumstance had I a group that large. Would my hypothetical resistance be self defense or extremism by your definition? Remember, all the hypothetical protest is doing is making salt at the ocean and reacting to the police.

Not saying you're wrong Outlook I just want your opinion.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Of course, I think it's sort of a fundamental acceptance. I don't think one who accepts violence as a tool has to be politically extreme. People can use violence for non-political purposes, for example a BDSM fetishist is not politically extreme. I guess I used the wrong word as well, as radicalism would be better fitting than extremism. Or radical extremism, better yet.

• Erowind likes this

IMPERATOR!

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
Radical extremism is totally the way to go with this imo. Just being radical in its own right doesn't imply crossing ethical lines. Radicalism just means advocating fundamental and substantive change to a given thing. Where the root word of radical, radix, means to take things to their roots. This is the reason that radicalism appealed to me so much politically. When applied responsibly and ethically radicalism has the potential to be very scientific in nature due to its roots based approach. We aim to start at the bottom and gain understanding by following the roots of systems up through their bodies and into their branches. In order to truly change the branch it makes sense to start with the root. There's a saying among anarcho-transhumanists. Every good anarchist is at least a social scientist.

In an attempt to demystify I hope others reading this will understand that radical =/= bad.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationLondon

Back home in London now, after my birthday weekend in Norwich (pizza followed by bowling).

I had a lovely time seeing my family, including two young nephews and niece. We had pizza at my brother's house, during which I counted down the final remaining seconds of my 30s – at 11.59am, the precise time I was born.

My presents included a virtual reality headset, a book on artificial intelligence ("The Creativity Code", by Marcus du Sautoy), a really useful book on London walks/tours, a gift card from Amazon, a voucher for Floatworks, and a chocolate selection from Hotel Chocolat.

It felt strange to be turning 40, which is a major milestone for me. As some of you know, I became very worried about it over the preceding months and years. However, now that I've actually reached it, I oddly don't feel worried at all; in fact it feels cool to be this age – and I'm excited about what the next 10 years have in store, especially when I look back at the progress I achieved in my life since my 30th. :)

Besides, 40 isn't that old. And I have some excellent longevity genes in my family, so if I can reach 90, that's potentially another 50 years of exponential progress in medicine/biotech, during which I could conceivably reach LEV.

• Yuli Ban, Outlook and Erowind like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,495 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

You are middle-aged. Your natural life is half over.

To put it in another perspective: let's imagine your natural life genuinely is half over and you live to 80. That means you live to 2059, barring any use of life extension or youth restoration technology.

Imagine the world in 2059. The technologies we'll have then boggle the mind, and that's not including a Singularitarian perspective. Sure, the world will probably be half dystopic, but the parts that aren't will seem Edenic.

• wjfox and Erowind like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
Jelous of your longevity genes Wjfox. Men on my mums side have a tendency to die in their 50s. They've been alcoholics or exposed to the horrors of early 20th century industrial labour though so maybe I'll actually be fine considering I'm not a substance abuser and I don't inhale industrial fumes every day. They either died from kidney failure, lung cancer or heart attacks. My dads side is a tad more hopeful but folks don't really live past their 70s over there either '-'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users