Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Four weeks ago I began learning CS seriously and started using vim. Immediately I hated it, and wondered why someone would try to create something like this. I even wondered if I installed the right thing, I was genuinely confused as to what the hell I was looking at. But through the tutorials, I've managed to get okay with it. I'm still far far far from good, but I could manage.

After two weeks I began procrastinating, and I've forgot about my CS learning. I've started reverting to the old text editors on my chromebook, and as I began using them, I kept remembering what I could do with vim and finally understood why people love it so much. It's absolutely perfect. The greatest text editor ever created.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/bE_UDATn42E

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts
  • LocationLondon

CCTV footage of my accident:

http://www.willfox.c...4thjuly2019.mp4

At least it's taught me a lesson, never to rush like that again! Even if that means a 30+ minute wait for the next train.

• eacao, Yuli Ban, xQd and 3 others like this

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Even if that means a 30+ minute wait for the next train.

Wait for the next train just mean the free time (and self-excuse) to read the good book.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
I had an accident once that left me in bad shape for a couple days -- luckily it was during a break, so I could recover. But it didn't involve the head. What happened was that I was reading something on my smartphone, and then started walking down the stairs at work (I was working over break) to my car; and I must have gotten so involved in the smartphone, that I lost awareness of where I should place my foot. I fell down at least 5 hard steps (no carpeting), and twisted my foot, and my smartphone shattered on the surface below (that I also fell on). I was in incredible pain, and it took me 5 minutes even just to come out of the shock of it and pull myself up; and it took a long time to get to my car. There was nobody around to help -- it was late in the day, and everyone was gone. Luckily, the left foot and ankle were the ones hurt; so I was still able to drive. I didn't move much for several days -- stayed mostly in bed, except to use the bathroom, shower, and heat up food in the microwave. Oh, and I bought a new smartphone basically that first day.

I knew that the accident didn't break any bones -- just sprained or pulled tendon or muscle -- because the bones were too big for there to be a break, given the way that I fell; so I didn't go to the doctor. If my arm had gotten hurt, then probably there would have been a fracture.

If I had fallen the wrong way, I could very easily have hit my head on the stairs going down, or on the surface below. That could have left lasting brain damage.

The moral of this story: DON'T READ YOUR SMARTPHONE WHILE GOING DOWN STAIRS!
  • wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I just entered a rabbit hole that's completely stupefied me. It's like this cult, weird spiritual thing. There aren't a lack of those online but this stuff is completely way off, you cant even get like a spiritual or logical grip or something.

And why do these crazy cult-like things always have a Buddhist or Indian tint to it. What the fuck are the gurus doing?

Either way, I'd love to explain what its about but so far I'm made dumb. I think these people believe they're Reptilian Shapeshifters, but there are some other alien races or something. I'm only using knowledge from a UFO conspiracy phase I went through in middle school to make sense of it, if there is any sense at all.
  • Erowind likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,505 posts
  • LocationLondon

When I was in my 20s, I used to be able to play video games until very late at night – sometimes 3 or 4am – and not feel particularly bad the next day. I could do this on a regular basis throughout the year and it rarely affected me.

Unreal Tournament 2004 was my favourite game and I used to play it every weekend against other players online.

Now, at 40, if I spend even a single night later than 12am (such as last night), I feel absolutely zonked the next day.

g6QbW3Q.jpg

• Erowind likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I'm cooking Ratatouille. I have been cooking Ratatouille for the past week, perfecting the traditional recipe. I will continue to cook Ratatouille until I achieve perfection. Eggplants, zucchinis, tomatoes, peppers, I see them in my dreams. They speak to me. Soon all I eat will be Ratatouille, and will have achieved Nirvana. Then I will move on to different forms of Ratatouille, instead of the traditional Ratatouille.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Just discovered the "GoodTwitter" addon and, after weeks of confusion and irritation, restored the classical design of old good twitter! This is amazing! If you, too, don't like the uglinness of the current design - then you must try it.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I just entered a rabbit hole that's completely stupefied me. It's like this cult, weird spiritual thing. There aren't a lack of those online but this stuff is completely way off, you cant even get like a spiritual or logical grip or something.

And why do these crazy cult-like things always have a Buddhist or Indian tint to it. What the fuck are the gurus doing?

Either way, I'd love to explain what its about but so far I'm made dumb. I think these people believe they're Reptilian Shapeshifters, but there are some other alien races or something. I'm only using knowledge from a UFO conspiracy phase I went through in middle school to make sense of it, if there is any sense at all.

I fucking figured it out, they're part of David Icke's gang. 

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/David_Icke

It all connected to his forum. I was so happy when I could finally see the light of a major information source like Wikipedia after trudging through weird blogs, youtube channels and forums. But they're really strange people, like they sometimes write "hit pieces" on blogs where they just go through someone's internet history and try to dox and expose them.

But yes, I'm happy it makes sense. Of course there are very many more weird questions, but now I could gauge the kind of delusional belief.

It's made me think about cults, and why intelligent people can fall for them. I always ask myself when looking at these beliefs if it could've ever been possible for me to fall into such a hole, I feel ripe for it. Then I wonder what happens if AI falls for it, or is it just a human bias?  Either way, I'm going back into the sewers of the internet, farewell my fellows.

EDIT: Nevermind, I lost interest.

• Erowind likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I started reading The Decameron (1353AD), and I've been taken away by Boccaccio's description of the Black Death. Just read some of the quotes:

"It was the common practice of most of the neighbours, moved no less by fear of contamination by the putrefying bodies than by charity towards the deceased, to drag the corpses out of the houses with their own hands, aided, perhaps, by a porter, if a porter was to be had, and to lay them in front of the doors, where any one who made the round might have seen, especially in the morning, more of them than he could count; afterwards they would have biers brought up, or, in default, planks, whereon they laid them. Nor was it once or twice only that one and the same bier carried two or three corpses at once; but quite a considerable number of such cases occurred, one bier sufficing for husband and wife, two or three brothers, father and son, and so forth. "

"...deluded by hope or constrained by poverty, they stayed in their quarters, in their houses, where they sickened by thousands a day, and, being without service or help of any kind, were, so to speak, irredeemably devoted to the death which overtook them. Many died daily or nightly in the public streets; of many others, who died at home, the departure was hardly observed by their neighbours, until the stench of their putrefying bodies carried the tidings; and what with their corpses and the corpses of others who died on every hand the whole place was a sepulchre."

"As consecrated ground there was not in extent sufficient to provide tombs for the vast multitude of corpses which day and night, and almost every hour, were brought in eager haste to the churches for interment, least of all, if ancient custom were to be observed and a separate resting-place assigned to each, they dug, for each graveyard, as soon as it was full, a huge trench, in which they laid the corpses as they arrived by hundreds at a time, piling them up as merchandise is stowed in the hold of a ship, tier upon tier, each covered with a little earth, until the trench would hold no more. "

And finally, a reflection after it occurred:

"How many grand palaces, how many stately homes, how many splendid residences, once full of retainers, of lords, of ladies, were now left desolate of all, even to the meanest servant! How many families of historic fame, of vast ancestral domains, and wealth proverbial, found now no scion to continue the succession! How many brave men, how many fair ladies, how many gallant youths, whom any physician, were he Galen, Hippocrates, or Aesculapius himself, would have pronounced in the soundest of health, broke fast with their kinsfolk, comrades and friends in the morning, and when evening came, supped with their forefathers in the other world."

I did not expect to be hit that hard with such a horrorscape. Thank god for modern medicine, right?

Right?

• wjfox, Yuli Ban and Erowind like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,505 posts
  • LocationLondon

This has been a terrible year for my health, but I've had some good news in the last few days.

I took some antibiotics for a blepharitis infection. My eyes are now back to normal, after months and months of periodic irritation, mucus discharge, blurriness, etc. I don't know why I didn't get this looked at sooner. I guess I assumed it was part of my post-eye surgery symptoms (from last year), and would naturally disappear over time. Plus I sort of had this feeling that I didn't want to burden the NHS with my problems.

But it dragged on and on, and began to get worse last month. So I saw a doctor, who prescribed a little tube of chloramphenicol, and now everything's okay. Just like that. Modern medicine is so amazing.

Oh, and the injuries from my accident have continued to improve. The plastic splint on my left hand came off this week, and my right arm is gaining more and more movement with less and less pain. I'm told the hand will be fully healed in a week or so, and my arm will be 100% okay by mid-October.

• Yuli Ban, Omosoap, Outlook and 1 other like this

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

It's a terrible fate to suffer, when you read primary texts by yourself out of your own interest, and then be forced to read them again in an introduction to philosophy textbook. I've had to read Glaucon explain the Ring of Gyges numerous amounts of time, and now I got to have this author speak to me condescendingly about what I already know. I can't help but feel violated.

Deep breaths, Outlook. Deep breaths. Think of your GPA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users