Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

anon

anon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Lmao, I actually got them just now. I did know about library genesis and z-library. In fact before I bought them I used library genesis for them, but there's nothing better than it being physically in my hand. Worth the $220.

I like to think that I'm buying these for my younger siblings as well, so that they can study from world-renowned math textbooks, but really it's because fresh textbooks are so god damn good to own. They're so fresh and look so perfect. It's like buying a new car, christ. The covers and designs are so minimalistic and sleek, especially Lang's book. I need to buy more. But perhaps after I finish the book.

Elon Musk allegedly lived on one dollar a day for a month in 1990. That would be around $61 a month in today's dollars. Even if you spent three times as much money on food as Elon Musk, you could still comfortably buy it with less than $200. And given your mindset when it comes to buying books, I would assume that there are many other things you could save on.

I'm not saying you should live like this, but I'm just pointing out the possibility, given your previously expressed hatred for your work. After all, the cost of consumerism is your time. If you are willing to pay the price, it is not impossible to get almost all the free time you could ever want.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

*reads about how 40 hour workweeks are hell- finishes 92hr week and starts 72hr week after 1 day rest... Repeat ad infinitum* Also I'd love for my average of 72 hours a week to be in an air conditioned building or a cold storage for the vegetables. I work in the sweltering sun, pounding rain, and blistering cold. And I'm not going to stay there for long. Of course it's mostly illegal immigrants working here so they're grateful to have a job in the first place.

Yea, that's what I've been thinking while working there. When I pick up boxes of apples or strawberries, almost all from the US, there's the fact that someone picked these before me and the astounding lot of them are migrants in the US without the protections that a union can give. They're escaping poverty and crime that is actively brought around by the excesses and political desires of US and Canada, and then being exploited by the owners of farming businesses to turn a huge profit at the expense of the worker's life and wellbeing.

I also realized more and more that these aren't just any kind of labour. They aren't extra fluff brought on by the need for greater competition like data analysts, computer scientists and so forth. These are workers who if they don't work then modern society can not function. Whether it's the production of food or its transportation, construction or essential manufacturing. Papermaking, textiles, chemical manufacturing machine operators and cleaners.

For example your case. I'm lucky enough to be able to as you say, have only 40 hours a week, and even after that I still feel like shit because I'm tired from the repeated lifting to study. What about your case, where it's almost impossible to study or pursue anything you're passionate about without quitting, which would lead to starving or going into insane debt that you'd have to gamble pays off after 4 years or risk returning back to manual labour to pay off. But even then you're still lucky. We're both still lucky.

We're lucky enough to still believe that there are still better things to move towards, that we can find some easy part-time job in a restaurant while we study computer programming, or a writing career. Most of the working class is not that lucky. They live life thinking that this their life, it's too late and that the only chance they have to live comfortably is working strenuously and placing hope for a better life through their children's careers.

I did research on the type of job I do too, specifically for a Kroger warehouse. It's a bit dated, from 1996 but the work is the exact same except orders are picked using automated headsets they give us to increase speed and performance.

https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

34.6% report significant injuries every year. 63% of the long-term workers in that warehouse report a back injury in the previous year. "In summary the order assemblers have an elevated risk for musculoskeletal disorders including low back pain because of the combination of adverse job factors all contributing to fatigue a high metabolic load and the workers inability to regulate their work rate because of the work requirements. According to recognized criteria defining worker capability and accompanying risk of low back injury the job of order assembler at this work site will place even a highly selected work force at substantial risk of developing low back injuries. Moreover in general we believe that the existing performance standards encourage and contribute to these excessive levels of exertion"

In the end, this job has pushed me further left than anything before learning that shit can be much much worse and the fact that this type of work is itself a necessity and a requirement that HAS to be fulfilled or else the consumers don't get what they demand, whether it's a car, that car's gasoline, its rubber or a mango. All I can say is thank god I'm young and don't have to deal with medical issues and shit like children. That I can still live with my family and bear responsibility with them. Thank god I'm in university so I can get a degree and find some better fucking job at a desk, but fuck me if it hasn't opened my eyes to the reality of capitalist exploitation.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/Gnyr3sbdKkU

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Lmao, I actually got them just now. I did know about library genesis and z-library. In fact before I bought them I used library genesis for them, but there's nothing better than it being physically in my hand. Worth the $220.

I like to think that I'm buying these for my younger siblings as well, so that they can study from world-renowned math textbooks, but really it's because fresh textbooks are so god damn good to own. They're so fresh and look so perfect. It's like buying a new car, christ. The covers and designs are so minimalistic and sleek, especially Lang's book. I need to buy more. But perhaps after I finish the book.

Elon Musk allegedly lived on one dollar a day for a month in 1990. That would be around $61 a month in today's dollars. Even if you spent three times as much money on food as Elon Musk, you could still comfortably buy it with less than $200. And given your mindset when it comes to buying books, I would assume that there are many other things you could save on.

I'm not saying you should live like this, but I'm just pointing out the possibility, given your previously expressed hatred for your work. After all, the cost of consumerism is your time. If you are willing to pay the price, it is not impossible to get almost all the free time you could ever want.

I appreciate your advice, anon. I agree with frugal living, but these are math textbooks that I genuinely need to study and improve upon my condition and I prefer physical copies infinitely more to digital ones because of internet addiction and it's just feels nice. I don't know what it is but with a tablet it doesn't feel the same as with a physical book. It feels physical, like it's real and demands your attention.

I also don't care about money. I would've quite a long time ago, but my family needs the money to live comfortable and financially secure.

EDIT: I also got to pay rent somehow. The only property my family owns is in Libya, which is not the funnest place to be in right now but it is a lot cheaper living there. I might actually do that one day if I just want to take a year to bullshit. The inflation makes the exchange rate so skewed too.

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationNew York

Starting to have some serious chest pain & heart palpitations, likely due to over drinking and stress. Kinda worried about having a heart attack, bc this really hurts at times. Maybe I need to turn off all news, and take a serious break. The whole entire covid crisis, election year, protest (both prior & current) and now possibly martial law has me really defeated. 

Raging and slowly killing myself won't help, so maybe rest will. 

Revolutionary Moderate

Revolutionary Moderate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, United States

I actually like living right now, during the COVID-19 pandemic. I probably would like it less if lost my job as a result of COVID-19 or I needed an income, both of which do not apply to me. I like reading about past pandemics and my internet history is filled with the same page, which is Wikipedia's list of epidemics. I would love if I could travel to the past, back to the time of the Black Death, and see how society reacted and changed as a result of it. Most humans tend to think that we have shaped of our history, but in reality, diseases have. It is only relatively recently that we have gained the upper hand against diseases, but diseases are once again starting to gain the upper hand, due to antibiotic resistance. 

The Potato Praiser 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,206 posts
  • LocationLondon

Starting to have some serious chest pain & heart palpitations, likely due to over drinking and stress. Kinda worried about having a heart attack, bc this really hurts at times. Maybe I need to turn off all news, and take a serious break. The whole entire covid crisis, election year, protest (both prior & current) and now possibly martial law has me really defeated. 

Raging and slowly killing myself won't help, so maybe rest will. 

I had a similar problem last year – chest pains, and was worried about a heart attack.

Saw my doctor and it turned out to be just anxiety.

So my advice would be, spend less time reading/watching the news. Set aside time to relax. Maybe listen to soothing sounds/music, or try ASMR (which works wonders for me), and try to reduce your anger. Oh, and definitely cut down on the drinking.

If you're still having problems after all that, various medications can help, e.g. beta blockers.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,206 posts
  • LocationLondon

Also, this might sound a little cliché, but practice your breathing.

Notice whenever you're feeling angry or stressed – what's your breathing like?

Practice long, deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth. Calm yourself, make sure your body is properly oxygenated so it can function okay.

Slow down, shift your focus of attention, away from whatever event or situation is causing you to feel bad. Deep breaths, relax, and calm down.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
@Outlook

I'm on a journey with you. I just bought those same textbooks. I got about halfway through trig on my own before but I might actually start barfing if I have to open my community college textbooks for a third time (I aced those courses but don't remember much) and make a third Khan Academy account for the same material. This time, I punch right through and keep going.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
Want to start a new thread then, a mathematics textbook club? We'll need a pace to go at if we want to do it together and a book to start on. It doesn't hurt to try and motivate ourselves at least, even if I start so many of these things that I don't finish.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I quit ;-;

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,206 posts
  • LocationLondon

I quit ;-;

What do you mean? Are you okay?

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

I quit ;-;

What do you mean? Are you okay?

Yea. My family got into a better situation rn, so I got their approval to quit. I worked a bit more but then today just felt really shitty and I decided to quit. I'm still in good standing with them and I'm up for rehire, but I'm realizing that I have to figure out how to fill in the 8 hours every day and I'm lowkey regretting the decision to quit since I want to buy so much more books. I'm also doing it because I want to focus on school, I got midterms coming up that I realized I'd be screwed with the time I have.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

/\ Working full time and going to school is very difficult. My mom explicitly told me she didn't want me to do that because she had to and she doesn't know how she made it through. Yah though! I'll make that thread, I'm still missing a few books but I have most of them and they'll be here soon. Sorry I didn't see this till now, haven't been glued to the site.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

It's amusing what causes people the most anger on Twitter.  Hypocrisy, for instance, causes much more anger than the bad deed that is the subject of the hypocrisy.  For instance, a politician that criticizes others for "excessive force", that supported a military incursion in the past, draws the anger of the Far-Left for being a hypocrite.  But a politician on the right that directly supports even worse use of deadly force only "irritates" -- "Well, that's just how they are.  Did anyone expect better?"

And sometimes the weaker the hypocrisy, the greater the outrage.  For instance, a politician who writes about Assad "needing to go", without being too specific about what to do (economic, military, ...), might draw the loudest outrage of all.  "I just can't stand that elitist, smug hypocrisy.  I think it's worse than directly going to war; and so I'll focus my attacks on them."

The "mere suggestions", "subtle feels", "body language", "not showing respect" -- all that seems to be so very important; it's like the logic of the street, where not showing respect means Vinny and his pals are going to have to show up and teach you a lesson (with knives and guns).  

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationNew York

Hmm, I think that maybe the "far-left" on Twitter just expects more out of whomever they are outraged at. You feel more anger & disappointment when you're let down by a supposed ally, than the same feelings against someone you've come to expect of being an enemy (the far-right in this instance). In any case, dwelling too much on social media isn't good for anyone's mental health. With the way things are going bodily health as well... 

That's also why the United States could really benefit from a parliamentary style democracy rather than this current rubbish. Having a bunch of people under two massive tents representing the voices of over 300 million is asinine. You need more parties to represent a diverse populace, and proportional voting. By instead forming coalitions between different but like minded parties, said far-left on twitter would be better represented, and could better reconcile the hypocrisy of a different party by focusing on shared values & policy. You'd have to learn compromise, only without feeling as if you betrayed your values. (This also applies to the right) That's just my opinion on it though, just assuming those tweeters were Muricans, so I could be off in this assessment. 

@Wjfox 

Thanks for the advice! ASMR is something that I've considered (skeptical) in the past but never got into, but I've been trying it out along with some meditation. Really helps with relaxing to sleep, something I've had major issues with. 

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

About hypocrisy... the Minneapolis mayor cries at George Floyd funeral. This is just ridiculous. Does anyone really believe the white politician so deeply and sincerely grieves over the death of ordinary black criminal? If not, what the point in this tasteless show?

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere

About hypocrisy... the Minneapolis mayor cries at George Floyd funeral This is just ridiculous. Does anyone really believe the white politician so deeply and sincerely grieves over the death of ordinary black criminal? If not, what the point in this tasteless show?

No but he needs to show hes on the side of the voters to win re election

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,206 posts
  • LocationLondon

@Wjfox 

Thanks for the advice! ASMR is something that I've considered (skeptical) in the past but never got into, but I've been trying it out along with some meditation. Really helps with relaxing to sleep, something I've had major issues with.

Cool. :) Here are some channels I recommend, btw:

Bluewhisper

https://www.youtube....1cuw_T1Q/videos

Catplant

https://www.youtube....ssfppxHg/videos

Gibi

https://www.youtube....f0JGNn7Q/videos

Jade the Jaguar

https://www.youtube....mHUpNzjg/videos

TirarADeguello

https://www.youtube....Deguello/videos

SastangFever

SastangFever

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationhere
https://www.bbc.co.u...health-38092146

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
I DON'T THINK THIS IS A POLITICS THREAD. I'm the first to jump to it sometimes I'll admit but this thread is very much about our personal lives. Unless you're in the streets or personally and directly affected by a given event I don't really wanna hear about it here personally. Go post a status update or in a topic or something. Good Example: "I got the virus guys" Bad example: "article on virus statistics that belongs in virus thread."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users