Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Personal chat thread

• Please log in to reply
1143 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,328 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Another piece of tech that's regressing to Dark Ages status is iTunes. Somehow, iTunes had MORE functionality and flexibility 10 years ago. In their efforts to be as cool and hipster as possible, they've all but gimped how smoothly the thing works. Even on my PC, searching for a song in the search bar basically takes multiple more seconds than necessary because it has to search the entire database after every single character. 

And now I discover that clicking onto a new playlist and going back doesn't remember my position. I could be 1,000 songs deep with my most recent play, and it's right back to the top. As far as I know, it's never done this before. 

There are more things I'm forgetting about, but one thing I have had on the brain is the fact that creating new libraries doesn't save some of the metadata for old songs. Most notably when they were added. Most recently I've had a new library change due to an accidental update was late 2017, so that's as far back as any of these songs say they're from. Yet the "last played" and "last modified" remains unchanged! So a song will say "Added 12/27/2017" but "Last Played 2/06/2011." How does that not cause an app error? It also makes me want to never finish some songs because that would cause a massive jump in their "Last Played" date. And I can't just revert to the oldest library, because all the songs added after the second library update (in 2013) would just say "Date Added (today's date)." As a temporal hoarder who loves having old things and knowing how old they are, it'd be so nice to be able to combine the three libraries I have just to keep that bit of metadata. Just plug in the libraries, choose to use the oldest dates, and voila. A trite concern, but it's one I can't shake.

Swinging back to the point of my post above, learning about GPT-3's programming capabilities make me dream about making a program that can do such a thing.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

SeedNotYetSprouted

SeedNotYetSprouted

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

I recommend people on this forum follow my lead and start living with the expectation of weak AGI being an inevitability during the decade.

What does that look like? What does it mean to start living with the expectation?

I'll ask again: what does it mean to start living with the expectation? How do you do that?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,328 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Depends on what you do. First-gen AGI is still going to be a magical thing, but it won't send out an ever-expanding geodesic dome of nanites to kickstart the Singularity. It's going to be Siri, GPT-3, Wolfram Alpha, and more all in one.

If you're a construction worker, service worker, or in some other physical field, this decade is probably not going to worry you too much. Maybe by 2025-2028, some construction workers will really feel the pinch and big-box stores will cut down on some staff (but certainly not all). I laugh at the idea that McDonalds will be human-free even by 2030 (because they're often running on such tight margins; some McDonalds in my area still don't even have those kiosks), but just half a decade after that, I can see it.

If you're more of an office monkey who mainly does spreadsheets or graphic design, you're fucked. I don't know how else to put it. I can't sugarcoat it either. 

If you're like me and more of an artsy malchick, you might write for money. 

I've completely given up on the idea of writing smut on Amazon, even though it'd be so easy to make a good deal of money, only because I figured there's more long-term benefit in working on my own passion projects to have them far more fleshed out once I have advanced synthetic media to bring them even further to life and expand on what I'll likely have written by that point. Compared to, say, a timeline where I focus more on erotic smut on Amazon and make a decent amount of money (maybe $30,000 by this point next year), but the stories I actually want to write are undercooked and suddenly GPT-X is out and now any horny housewife can generate all the novel-length fantasies of being "claimed" by an outlaw biker Bigfoot she wants (I'm not even making that one up). There goes that profit model. But hey, at least I have some followers who like the passion projects I'm working on, right? Yeah, instead of maybe a few thousand followers for Strongest Under Heaven and Little Miss Savage complete with some who are dedicated enough to make fanart (perhaps even using GANs and transformers), it's the same few followers of Mother Meki. 's concept, from the middle of last decade. A story I may eventually bring back, but certainly not anytime soon. Oh shit, I have to scramble to get those other stories ready! But now it's too late; they're just drowned out by the massive cacophony of AI-generated stories.

Maybe not next year, mind you: I doubt we'd see such a radical surge until at least 2023 (and indeed, I plan on exploiting that early period of wider ignorance to AI-generated literature to my advantage anyway), but that's how I'm thinking about the near future.

"How does general-purpose AI affect my near future plans? Do I focus on this project? Or that one?" I think about commissioning artwork for stories; in three to five years, I could easily use a vastly advanced version of Artbreeder to create whatever sort of image or scene I want. So do I make something today or just wait? Normally, I figure that I might as well act today on some things and wait for others.

In the long long run, it really doesn't matter; circa 2040 or so, I could just synthesize a reality where I'm successful no matter what, complete with an entire edited internet and media landscape. But that's deep in the future.

I think quite a bit about what sort of day job I might get. The current one I have could only be replaced by a robot, not just an AI. It's basically safe until the latter half of the decade, and perhaps even further than that considering this place probably isn't going to shell out the money for a robot until it costs something like $5,000. As I have a very low-energy and low-consumption lifestyle, I'm not seeking much more than this. Even if my net worth was 10,000x greater, I'd probably be living in a place not unlike where I am now, doing the exact same things. This, too, is something I've started wondering about in relation to first-gen AGI, but to a vastly lesser extent and dealing more with the things that we've talked about here before (if I have an advanced cognitive agent for an assistant, I'll probably use it primarily as a surrogate digital parent reminding me to clean my room or monitoring my blood pressure).

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Videos like these always fascinated me (and often motivated to do something of my own):

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

...to do something of my own:

And, as result, I spent almost the WHOLE DAY upgrading and tweaking my old and simple "random world map" script to make it more smooth and realistic. The new script has become two times longer, but able to draw the natural zones basing on temperature and humidity, elevation and altitudinal zoning, and so on...

How it was:

Spoiler

How it is now:

Spoiler

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

/\ Always a fan of your simulations PheonixRu. Would love a video/more pictures if you run any new sims with the new world.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,744 posts
  • LocationLondon

Winds are really picking up now. Storm Francis hitting the UK.

https://earth.nullsc...1.95,51.68,1809

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,744 posts
  • LocationLondon

My hair right now.

I should probably get it cut.

cousinitt.gif

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,744 posts
  • LocationLondon

Various people in my company are now being made redundant, as a direct result of COVID-19 and the huge financial impact it's having.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Because my skin is a little pale (due to some of my Northern European ancestry, probably), I decided to try to add some color, without sun-tanning.  I bought some Neutrogena Airbrush Sunless Tan spray:

https://www.neutroge...an/6868763.html

I didn't expect it to work that well, but tried it anyways.  

Wow! -- it's an amazing product!  It gave me a very natural-looking tan, several shades darker than I was before, that lasted several days so far.  It doesn't wash off when you take a shower.  In fact, I'm unsure just how long it will last without another application.  One can can probably support several weeks of artificial tanning.

10 year march

10 year march

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Now that I've actually achieved what I've set out to achieve every day since and including the 16th of August I might revive/create a threat on my life improvement/dairy but now with much better mental health and actually achieving my goals.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020 is here; I still suck

• Members
  • 2,021 posts
My dearest love - My life
The girl who I wanted to be my wife
Know that for you I will swallow this poison pill
To became nothing but a mound of dirt
Nothing but a small hole on a little hill

I just wanted your companionship
Now I'm going down with this ship
As my legs go numb from my toes to my hip
As my mind fogs and I lose grip
Remember me and the smiles
The laughs and all the whiles
Remember me because I don't remember myself
I'm just a shell living in a waking hell
Since you departed there's nothing left
So as I take my last gasping breath
As I fall to the ground- as I die
You've left my heart empty and my existence bereft
Don't shed a tear- the last thing I want is your lie

God take me now!
I can't tell if these are tears or sweat drowning my brow
Why did you make my life a tragedy?
Why am I sitting here wretching - bent over- almost as if to bow?
How?
Why?
For what purpose was I born?
If all I am to suffer is scorn?
Pierce my heart! Cease it's rhythm
Take me lord
Remove the devil from my soul
Because I'm dying but I'm smiling
All I can see are her eyes, her laugh, her fingers, her hair
Stop it! Stop my mind! End this despair.
Am I dead? So why do I see her by my bed?

Is this my punishment? That not even in death can I escape her
In life she was my affliction
And now in death you've made her my addiction?
There is a hell and it's called Love
The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
A little observation I've made over the last couple days -- that the John Baez controversy I wrote about before brought to the surface of my mind:

Whenever you have a community that preaches and moralizes a little too much, eventually it will turn on itself and reveal the hypocrisy that the community isn't really much better than the others.  

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,744 posts
  • LocationLondon

Cut my own hair for the first time today. :) It was surprisingly easy, despite 7 months of growth.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

This post is a continuation of what I said in this video:

https://imgur.com/a/ZPm7MvX

Basically, the more "conservative" one is about something, the greater the pain.  

For example, consider the case of people who collect vinyl records.  These people like to bring back the 1950s and 60s.  They wear square, black-rimmed glasses, smell the vinyl and paper and cardboard in the cellophane wrapper, swear that the quality is better than a CD, and can quote to you any rock band and indie band from the 1960s onward.  They are consummate geeks about bands and vinyl records.  

I used to see these guys at record shops.  One thing I noticed is that, as the years rolled by, the kind of people that would show up at those shops got older and older.  There are still some young people who find it cool to play around with old vinyl records, but for the most part, they stay away.  

Soon, the vinyl shops will close, and collectors will just order them from EBAY.  Nobody cares anymore about the old vinyl record shop.

That's going to happen to every favorite hangout you can list.  All culture looks old and unsexy -- just like people -- when they are past their prime.

The Internet, at least, can be used to preserve all these lost pockets of culture.  And Brain Computer Interfaces will one day soon allow us to preserve our feelings and thoughts at each moment in time; so that a part of us from the past will survive.

Eventually, technology will allow us to make functional copies of ourselves and other people from each era; and so, in some sense, the culture of the past -- and even its lifeforce; the dynamic patterns of its people and their thinking -- will endure.

tomasth

tomasth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

They will indure if the poeple will want them to , massive rewriting of history on a scale not possible before , the upheaval that could come from future tech and its social effect can decide to remove unwanted history.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

I got a haircut and beard trim.  The barber is this woman with about 20 years of experience, who works in a little men's shop with hardly any customers, due to Covid.  She's meticulous about all the little details.  One of the best barbers I've had.  I'm guessing she has another job to pay the bills -- and I'm guessing the owner has enough money or loans to stay afloat until the crisis is over.  

Results:

(Taken this morning:) 

https://imgur.com/a/nRhbucZ

Another view:

(Taken in the early evening just a few minutes ago:)

https://imgur.com/a/YQllNnv

(It'll look scruffy unruly again in about a week.)

lechwall

lechwall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationSunny England

Sticking my head above the parapet but has anyone else's lockdown not been that bad?

I'm quite introverted so not being able to go out in the same way at the weekend isn't actually that bad. Plus my weekdays are better as able to work from home full time

and avoid a long commute into the office plus all this not going out and working from home is saving me tons of money.

Of course I get that for a lot of people this will be hell not being able to go out or are in a less privileged position but anyone else feel the same?

"The future will be better tomorrow.  If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.   For NASA, space is still a high priority. The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history. Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."  Dan Quayle

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Yeah, my own lockdown hasn't been that bad either, but of course I'm currently unemployed so that might have something to do with it. I'm trying to learn Python Programming in my spare time, though.

BTW, Lech, how have things with your girlfriend been going? No additional unplanned pregnancies like there was several years ago?

lechwall

lechwall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationSunny England

Yeah, my own lockdown hasn't been that bad either, but of course I'm currently unemployed so that might have something to do with it. I'm trying to learn Python Programming in my spare time, though.

BTW, Lech, how have things with your girlfriend been going? No additional unplanned pregnancies like there was several years ago?

Now wife with planned pregnancies. We have two daughters now :)

"The future will be better tomorrow.  If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.   For NASA, space is still a high priority. The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history. Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."  Dan Quayle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Zaphod