Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's going on with Oumuamua???

interstellar space astronomy aliens

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

Why does this matter more than the anti-aging discussion?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I guess they're still under the pro-aging trance.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

I don't think anyone is saying that it does?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Believe it or not, we can focus on more than one subject at a time.

• wjfox likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Outlook

Outlook

Arab Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
Pfft, this is a false flag created by NASA so that we don't pay attention to the *real* alien observational craft called "planet" X that they've been so keen to hide info on. A planet five times as massive as earth? No visuals? Psshh, the greys are watching friends. The greys are watching.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/DGe_Sluth3A

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,704 posts
  • LocationLondon

Now I admit it's really unlikely, especially because it's moving so slowly. If it were something like 1000 kilometers per second, I'd say definitely aliens, but 26 km/s is just too slow for a starship. Although I suppose it could be a stealthy probe and part of its disguise is slowing down to pretend to be an asteroid. Or it could be an interplanetary ship that for some reason wandered off from its home star system.

If it is a ship, it's almost certainly dead/broken/abandoned, but it might be something yuge.

The ships in Elite: Dangerous have a lower "supercruise" speed of 30 km/s. :biggrin:

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Now I admit it's really unlikely, especially because it's moving so slowly. If it were something like 1000 kilometers per second, I'd say definitely aliens, but 26 km/s is just too slow for a starship. Although I suppose it could be a stealthy probe and part of its disguise is slowing down to pretend to be an asteroid. Or it could be an interplanetary ship that for some reason wandered off from its home star system.

If it is a ship, it's almost certainly dead/broken/abandoned, but it might be something yuge.

That really depends on if this "ship" is actually going somewhere or not.

There are a few situations where it makes perfect sense why it's moving "slowly":

1. It's just a probe. Moving too quickly causes relativistic distortions, so they deliberately sent it out at a slower speed (or slowed it down as it approached) to observe alien star systems like our own.
  2. It's genuinely not going anywhere specific, so there's no need to rush. Whatever's on board can last a hundred thousand years or more if needbe.
  3. It's a solar sail, as mentioned a few posts above, and it needed Sol's energy for a burst of speed. 
  4. It's just debris. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationCanada

The weird part about this thing is that we now know it accelerated without a gravitational boost, and without comet outgassing. Maybe we just missed the tail of gasses, but it doesn't appear to be an asteroid or a comet. It would be extremely exciting if it turned out to be a probe, defunct or not, but the most likely explanation (although I'm glad the researchers weren't afraid to publish the alien possibility) is that it's just a new class of space debris--some sort of rocks that tumble around interstellar space for billions of years, baking in cosmic rays. Hopefully we can observe more of these interstellar rocks to see if they have similar characteristics.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It's likely to be accelerated by an explosion or a collision impact of some sort. The elongated shape is likely a result of fragmentation dynamics triggered by a small/medium orbital debris with very high collision velocity. 

Just an educated guess, a wild one at that.

• Yuli Ban likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

I know this is a dead and abandoned thread but...

I don't wanna sound like a tinfoil hat guy, but something interesting is going on here... It's not just the shape either. It's not behaving like a comet. There's no evidence of dust, no comet tail, no anything.

Now I admit it's really unlikely, especially because it's moving so slowly. If it were something like 1000 kilometers per second, I'd say definitely aliens, but 26 km/s is just too slow for a starship... If it is a ship, it's almost certainly dead/broken/abandoned, but it might be something yuge.

There is one obvious explanation: yes, this is exactly a starship and clearly not abandoned, they just mimics the natural object with natural speed and will launch their engines few years later, when we will not be able to detect them. Or don't launch if it was the unmanned probe which already sent all information to its owners and whose own fate is irrelevant.

Sounds as another conspiracy theory. Usually I don't like them, but:

There are about million known small bodies (comets, asteroids, and so on) of Solar System, and the biggest ratio of their sides is 3 to 1. Stones are stones and we can expect that other planetary systems aren't much different in that regard.

And now the serious question: what the chance that very first interstellar asteroid will have such a crazy shape? This is very, very, very weird.

Other hand, the chances to meet, instead of asteroid, the long abandoned starship accidentally moving through your neighbourhood are 0,000(write as many zeros as you want)001%.

The shances are sharply increasing if we assume that this starship is NOT abandoned and came here NOT accidentally. Why now? Well, for example aliens may have noticed the increased (millions of times per just a century) radio brightness of Earth. Being smart ones, they immediately understood what does it mean. Being curious, they couldn't miss such a new field of research. And finally, being careful (perhaps from own bitter experience) they didn't want to reveal themselves.

• Yuli Ban, Jakob, Erowind and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interstellar, space, astronomy, aliens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users