Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

CES 2018: LG robot Cloi repeatedly fails on stage at unveil

A robot created by LG to help users control their smart home repeatedly failed on stage at its CES debut.
Cloi was meant to be the centrepiece of the South Korean firm's presentation where it was supposed to show how new artificial intelligence tech could enhance use of kitchen appliances.
Instead it gave no response to three consecutive commands beyond blinking.
Experts say the demo represented a "disastrous" debut for the bot, which was mocked on social media.
Mr VanderWaal later unveiled a further three robots, highlighting LG's ambitions in the sector.
They included:

• Porter Robot, which is designed to carry hotel guests luggage to their room and provide check-in and check-out services without the need to queue at a front desk
  • Shopping Cart Robot, which features a bar code scanner so that supermarket visitors can log each item they put inside before paying via the machine as well
  • Serving Robot, which is designed to deliver meals and other drinks in restaurants and airport lounges
However, by this point many viewers of the firm's YouTube livestream were more preoccupied by making jokes about Cloi's earlier appearance.

This droid's either going to become a meme or will be dead on arrival. Possibly both.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

CES 2018: Intel's 49-Qubit Chip Shoots for Quantum Supremacy

Intel has passed a key milestone while running alongside Google and IBM in the marathon to build quantum computing systems. The tech giant has unveiled a superconducting quantum test chip with 49 qubits: enough qubits to possibly enable quantum computing that begins to exceed the practical limits of modern classical computers.
Intel’s announcement about the design and fabrication of its new 49-qubit superconducting quantum chip, code-named Tangle Lake, came during a keynote speech by Brian Krzanich, Intel's CEO, during 2018 CES, an annual consumer electronics tradeshow in Las Vegas. It’s a milestone that Google and IBM researchers have also been targeting because it could usher in the moment of so-called “quantum supremacy,” when quantum computing can outperform classical computing.

• Casey likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Robots, Google Daydream and a lot of rain on the first day of CES 2018

CES 2018 began with a bang today, or should I say a flood. The first rain to fall on Las Vegas in 116 days swept into the city yesterday, drenching crews who were rushing to open the show. By this morning, the convention center was leaking, Google had to shut its splashy pavilion and rivers were flowing through a hotel car park. Of course, that all made the abysmal traffic that marks the first day of CES even worse. 
The show, however, always goes on, and plenty happened to keep us busy. Here's what mattered as CES began and if you missed the highlights of CES Press Day, we've broken those down as well. We'll keep adding to this list before the day is out.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Samsung's "The Wall"

Samsung kickstarted CES 2018 with a massive 146-inch 4K TV it's calling "The Wall." Yeah, it's a wall, alright.

The Wall is the one of Samsung's many 2018 TVs to use a new display technology called "Micro LED."
Think of it as the next evolution of the many display technologies TV makers have been ramming down our throats over the years. First it was LED, then OLED, then Quantum Dots, and now it's Micro LED.
I'm less excited for the Micro LED TV than I am for the built-in AI technology that Samsung claims will intelligently upscale non-8K resolution content to 8K in full crispy glory, for playback on its 8K TVs such as the Q9S.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

This $1,000 laundry-folding robot is my favorite bad idea from CES

Who actually likes doing laundry?

First you have to sort through your clothes, organize them by material and color, wash them, dry them —then after all that, fold them. But what if you could have a subservient robot take care of the last step for you?
That's the (um ... bad) idea behind FolidMate, the $980 laundry-folding robot being shown off at CES 2018 in Las Vegas. The original concept for the machine was on display at last year's conference, but it didn't have any moving components. This year, the creators have rigged up the machine to accept clothing you feed it, but it still doesn't actually fold the clothes.
FoldiMate's CMO Debbie Cohen-Abravanel told Mashable at the conference that the company does have a working prototype back at its headquarters, but elected to show off just the receiving mechanism this year. It was admittedly easy to clip in fresh towels and shirts, however, when I tried feeding the machine a long-sleeve shirt, the sleeve got caught on the entrance and the machine jammed.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Riding in a self-driving Lyft is so smooth, you'll forget it's a robot

Riding in a self-driving Lyft car is way more boring than you'd expect. But that's really the point.

The ride, which I took on the streets of Las Vegas at the outset of CES 2018, was only remarkable in how mundane it was. Turns, lane changes, braking for red lights, accelerating for green — it was all pretty much the same as if a human were doing the driving. Well, if it weren't for the display on the dash showing a LiDAR-constructed view of the streets around us, and the robotic female voice that would occasionally chime in with a "lane change checking" or some other status update.
And this is why the self-driving experience Lyft showed off — developed by its platform partner, Aptiv (formerly Delphi) — is so impressive: The drive felt just like an attentive chauffeur. The driving style was very focused on the passenger, certainly: There were no sudden accelerations to make a stale green light or catch up to traffic, for example.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

CES 2018: Kodak soars on KodakCoin and Bitcoin mining plans

Shares in photo firm Eastman Kodak soared nearly 120% after it revealed plans to mint its own crypto-currency, the KodakCoin.
The US firm said it was teaming up with London-based Wenn Media Group to carry out the initial coin offering (ICO).
It is part of a blockchain-based initiative to help photographers control their image rights.
Kodak also detailed plans to install rows of Bitcoin mining rigs at its headquarters in Rochester, New York.
Details of this second scheme - which is being branded the Kodak KashMiner - were outlined at the CES tech show in Las Vegas.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

CES 2018: Blackout at tech's biggest show

Much of the Las Vegas Convention Center lost power on Wednesday morning in the middle of CES 2018, the massive annual gathering of technology companies. The cause of the outage was unknown and lasted about two hours.

The event is spread across multiple locations around Las Vegas, but the 3.2 million square foot convention center hosts the main attraction. The show floor is a maze of power-hungry gadget and technology demos. There are giant walls of OLED TVs, a virtual reality ride, and internet-connected smart fridges that still can't keep food from spoiling without electricity.

Without power, most companies were unable to show off their products. There was enough light from windows and battery powered signs to safely walk around. "Despacito" could still be heard blaring from an unknown booth. There was power in the show lobby.

"We are working hard to restore this temporary power outage at the LVCC. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience," said the Consumer Technology Association, the group that organizes the show, in a statement.

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Wireless charging pads are all over CES 2018, thanks to the new iPhones

Wireless charging is not particularly new technology, but this year at CES 2018, we’re seeing it show up in a big way. Tons of companies are releasing new products in a wide variety of form factors and styles.
Specifically, we’re seeing a huge wave of Qi wireless chargers, the popular industry standard that’s used by major smartphone companies like Samsung, LG, and many others. The standard has actually been around for years, but last fall, Apple introduced Qi charging to its new iPhone 8 and iPhone X models which brought an influx of new users. So now, accessories companies are cashing in.
Apple jumping on board meant two things: lots of new customers looking for Qi pads, and the effective end of the other main wireless charging standard, PWA. In fact, PowerMat, which created PWA, announced this year at CES that all of its future chargers will include Qi. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Hands-on With the Vuzix Blade Smartglasses at CES 2018

Vuzix built the smartglasses Google wishes it did

While most of the tech world dismissed the “smartglasses” concept when Google put Glass to bed back in 2015, Vuzix continued toiling away on the form factor it has been working on since long before Google ever took an interest. The result, at long last: A pair of smartglasses you may actually want to wear.
No, we can’t guarantee your safety in a crowded San Francisco bar should you decide to wade into the ungentrified masses with the Vuzix Blade on a Saturday night. But we can say the sleek new shades are both eminently less punchable, and more functional than Glass ever was.
The Blade use Vuzix’s proprietary waveguide technology to superimpose bright, crystal-clear images directly in your line of sight. Unlike Glass, there’s no awkward arm jutting front of your eye. With the display turned off, the Blade glasses look like any other. Despite the tinted look you see in photos, you’ll have no issues wearing them indoors.

vuzix-smartglasses-5-1000x1500.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

CES 2018: What Happens to Your Phone Will Be the Least Interesting Thing About 5G

5G is so powerful, it’s sending back signals from the future. The technology is barely out of the experimental phase, with the first official 5G standard released just last month: The first partial deployments are expected later this year or early next year, and full commercial deployments probably won’t be complete until the early 2020s. Yet many booths at CES in Las Vegas this week are festooned with 5G exhibits, and conference sessions devoted to the tech are jam-packed.
The anticipation is high because as the technical realities of 5G have come into focus, engineers have also begun to realize that it’s going to offer a lot more than “4G, only faster.” In addition to high speeds, 5G has the potential to handle many more mobile devices at the same time without network congestion, and handle those connections with low latency.

• Casey likes this

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationUK

This smart chessboard that moves its own pieces is pretty cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-its-own-pieces

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Forever Battery a compelling talking point at CES

The battery would get its power from the Cota Tile, a wireless power transmitter disguised as a drop ceiling tile

Well, this lead was impressive, coming from a tech watcher who if you read his articles regularly know that he does not swoon easily. Andrew Liszewski, Gizmodo. "After covering CES for 10 years, nothing I've seen at the show has me as excited about the future as Ossia's wireless charging technology."

Ossia has worked on something they call the Cota Forever Battery. We need little explanation to turn heads to fuller attention. They have worked on a battery powered wirelessly. The Forever Battery and its associated technology, dubbed Cota, created much interest at CES.
It's all about a battery that may never need replacing.
Editor in Chief of Tom's Guide Mark Spoonauer said that "there is something very compelling about the idea of a Forever Battery and a system that can deliver power at long distances."

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,316 posts

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts
CES 2018: Most Absurd Technologies To Come

CES: Consumer Excess Show

Each year tech nerds from around the globe converge on Sin City for the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to get first looks at the near future of gizmos. Walking the floor of the expo, you’re surrounded by some truly incredible tech that will certainly enhance our lives. Conversely, you can also stumble onto some earnest tech that ranges from unnecessary to downright terrifying. Here’s a collection of some of the most absurd technologies from CES 2018.

LOL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CES, 2018, consumer technology, artificial intelligence, robotics, smart home, 5G, internet of things, drones, deep learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users