Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Bioengineered Synesthete

synesthesia biology

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hyndal_Halcyon

Hyndal_Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I once wondered what its like to have synesthesia. Being able to taste a reddish C-minor coming from a fragrant roughness. Its kinda fun just teasing about it. While this is considered as just another rare psychosomatic condition, I beg to differ.

So I devised my own childish systems. Once I tried to create an alphabet with letters not made of sound but of specific smells and tastes. It was sad the draft was forgotten along with my broken hardrive, but I believe it was a price I paid so that I can be a little more imaginative, so that I can at least ask myself:

·    What kind of intimately connected sensory organs and perceptions would appreciate the true taste of a rainbow's curvy flavor? Do I have to imagine eye-shaped ears and nose-shaped tongues?

o No. I just have to search for ways nature or scientists might have already invented them, and synthesize one on my own.

·    Even moreso, how can such a wonderful experience be communicated in a more intimate manner? Do I have to invent a word for every relevant combination of sensations?

No. I just have to make technotelepathy that is compatible with my ultimate sensory organs.

Before proceeding, I’d like to define some things first: namely the ultimate sensory organs.

·    Neurodes are the epitome of synthetic biology and topological quantum computing. These cells are literally biological quantum computers, whose neurotransmitters are a 2-dimensional entanglement of qubits. A local network of them is already enough to integrate the complexity of the different signals coming from the sensory mechanisms discussed below. What more can a brain made of neurodes (something I call a syncephalon) accomplish?

·    Field effects are electromagnetic and gravitational phenomena that can be exhibited by specialized organs. These specialized organs are made from various configurations of glassyte/nyctocyte/chromatophores as controlled by neurodes.

·    Chromatophores are a new type of cell containing engineered organelles that can exhibit controlled bioluminescence as well as adjustable pigmentation derived from various similar structures found in jellyfish, chameleon, octopus, firefly, etc. Think of a tissue made of chromatophores, as a biological electromagnetic phased array.

·    Glassytes are large cells whose internal fluid is a superfluid crystal that responds to neurodal signals. The superfluid crystal can then make the cell a perfect insulating mirror, a perfect transparent superconductor, or an adjustable lens/conductor. Then, imagine an array of glassytes working with chromatophores, and we can have biological versions of flexible displays, hologram projectors, even all kinds of lasers. If you’re still unsatisfied with biological lasers, imagine glassytes working with ophthalms to give telescopic and microscopic visions.

·    Nyctocytes are flattened cells that employ an organic version of vantablack, providing perfect optical absorption. Controlling the absorptive properties using glassytes should be fairly easy.

·    Ophthalms are engineered cells that has the combined functions of cone and rod cells, containing novel photoreceptive metamolecules that can detect and discriminate even between radiowave and gamma frequencies. Borrowing some of the properties of mantis shrimp’s eyes’ structure, the arrangement of ophthalms, glassytes, and nyctocytes into an eye will provide whatever kind of superhero vision you want and more, as listed below.

·    Papillates are also engineered cells found on the tongue, specialized in determining the composition of a material via its reactions with a synthetic saliva tailored for this very function.

·    Cochleis are cells that possess the generalized functions of all the parts of the inner ear. These are very sensitive to changes in atmospheric pressure, translating fluidic vibrations in the immediate environment into neurodal signals.

·    Cilia are hair-like protrusions found inside the nasal cavity, albeit made of thinner nanotubes and engineered chemical receptors. Also, these cilia can also be found on the skin, but dermal cilia contain mechanical receptors mainly for detecting changes in pressure and temperature.

Basic Color Vision (BCV)

Unsupervised discrimination of the nanoscale EM frequencies. An ophthalm is fully optimized for BCV can differentiate 400-800nm wavelengths with its photoreceptive metamolecules that translate a range of frequencies and intensities into discrete neurodal signals. Although the human color vision range comes with irregular-bandwidth translation having the least "reds" and the most "greens", the BCV comes in a more regular gradation of 20nm per color.

Nothing fun here. Just, plain ol' human color vision made more acute by metamolecules so that men can appreciate rainbows as women do.

Stella Radiance Flavorization (SRF)

Mixing some nyctocytes at the retina allows the reduction of original colors into more manageable scales. The nyctocytes coupled with glassytes configured as polarizers create an EM filter-feeding mechanism that generates nutrients from high-energy wavelengths and lets the polarized rays to be translated as BCV. Moreover, activating the intense polarizer tissues in the eye stimulates the papillae in the tongue, synesthesizing taste-color in SRF since the individual is acquiring some nutritional value from the color of the star. This effect also happens in BCV although the taste-component is less significant.

Yeah, right. When we're already photosynthetic organisms, then it’s just natural to give ourselves grander satisfactions while sunbathing. And with that, each light source will taste a bit different, paving the way for novel disco delicacies. After that, tasting the rainbow isn't just an expression anymore.

Teleradiance Infrasonics (TRI)

Long EM waves signals having sufficient intensities can be picked up and differentiated by the glassyte prisms in the orbital cavity. The geometry of the glassyte prism tissue is necessary to enhance the detected signal, concentrate them enough to have unambiguous properties, and redistribute them to the ophthalms for further processes. A local neurodal network mediating the prisms and the ophthalms connect to the cochlei that corresponds each enhancement, concentration, and redistribution of the signal into faint vibrations in the ear.

This way, we can see radio broadcasts pollute the air in an unprecedented level of audiovisual representation as a cacophony of ringing colors. Given enough training:

·         AM broadcasts will make sense as a monochromatic stream of wobbling sounds and fluttering flavors.

·         FM broadcasts will be a monotonous beep with color gradients having a persistent taste.

·         WIFI signals would be a faint omnipresent taste accompanied by ringing wobbles and vague ever-changing colors

Learning how which variation accompanies what information will let us utilize electronic telecommunication into languages with tastes for letters. Since most radiowaves aren’t necessarily disrupted by walls and conventional materials, it will be possible to communicate for individuals separated by planetary distances, given that these individuals can also produce said types of EM waves.

Multimedia Navigation Ranging (MNR)

With the help of TRI, conversing clearly in the most extreme of environmental conditions can be achieved

1.       Radar and Sonar in the form of parabolic glassyte mirrors and fluorescent metamolecules for “LIDAR”

a.       The eye can emit pulses of light while the mouth cavity makes ultrasound vibrations

b.       Both light and sound bounce off and are attenuated by objects in the immediate environment

c.       The reflected light pulses will then return to the eye as dimmed colors

d.       The reflected sounds will become minute pressures on the skin as well as faint ringing in the ears

2.       Furthermore, even the slightest traces of chemicals (down to the ppq) can trigger the cilia in the nose

a.       Inhaling with enough hydraulic force is enough to fully analyze any volume of gaseous colloid

i.   An atmosphere or an interstellar dust cloud for example

b.       Even coarse electric and magnetic field sensing can be provided by the cilia in the nasal cavity

i.   Finer detections achieved by assistive and corrective field effects

An individual practicing these incredible senses in various degrees of integration, can learn to create an accurate mental picture of any environment. It can outperform both an alpha wolf and a megalodon shark in hunting and tracking in the dark and underwater, maybe even in vacuum.

Moreover, the use of MNR in conjunction with field effects, can pretty much allow an individual to emit, detect, and control pulses of various fields. Peering into the very structure of a single atomic molecule to see its electron orbital hybridizations, maybe even probing an entire blackhole around a singularity to marvel at the miracles it creates, will all be possible. I'm sure anything in between would be just as interesting, like:

·   Diving into or surfing on seas not made of water but of magma, acid, or cryogen

·   Digging in or farming on lands not made of soil but of crystals, glass, or metal

·   Breathing in or gliding on skies made of lightning, stardust, or nothing at all

Emotive Pheromone Subliminals (EPS)

A rather peculiar characteristic of the cilia on skin tissue is its ability to store complex aromatic metamolecules that reflect the mindstate of the individual wearing the skin. There exist smells that do not just represent nearby food or imminent danger, but also transmit an idea that there is nearby food or imminent danger. These are pheromones, complex information encoded into simplified metamolecules that only another individual built on similar metamolecules can interpret.

Most notably, EPS’s are a crucial ingredient in Quantum Telempathy. They initiate the synchronization of the interacting individuals by streaming entangled neurotransmitters contained in such EPS's. These entangled neurotransmitters will then trigger the construction of an approximation of the senders' mindstate into the receivers' syncephalon.

However, full duplex quantum telepathy is quite difficult to achieve and even risky to practice since simultaneously receiving and sending several mindstates at once largely affects the conscious organizations of the participants. Prolonged duplex quantum telepathy with other individuals can lead to chaotic rearrangements of personalities.

And so, out of nowhere, I just redesigned mutual respect and mindmelding into something even more fundamental and delicate than vague sociobiological cues.

Nevertheless, EPSs will become the only moderation in this biological quantum internet, analogous to how qubits are the only limit of quantum computing and how spoken words provide the bottleneck of all languages. EPS's will become the synesthetic articulations contained in qubits.

So there. A Bioengineered Synesthete that also happened to be the evolved biotechnological individual. What else can I think of?

As you can see, I'm a huge nerd who'd rather write about how we can become a Type V civilization instead of study for my final exams (gotta fix that).

But to put an end to this topic, might I say that the one and only greatest future achievement of humankind is when it finally becomes posthumankind.

Jakob

Jakob

Russian Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

You should join the futuretimeline book project.

Maximum7

Maximum7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I wouldn't want it. Its dumb. I'd rather have implants to increase my IQ from slightly above average to superhuman genius levels

*Jakob I know you are going to make some quip that my intelligence is low, so I'm telling you ahead of time, I don't care what you think. :biggrin:

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

*Jakob I know you are going to make some quip that my intelligence is low, so I'm telling you ahead of time, I don't care what you think. :biggrin:

I don't think Jakob is that mean.  He is an intelligent person who is just misled.  I don't think he tries to actually be mean, and when he is I think it is usually in jest.

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: synesthesia, biology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users