Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Hello from South Africa

healing psychology art South Africa

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Contemplation_Planet

Contemplation_Planet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello,

Happy Holidays everyone. My name is Karl. I am an animator/illustrator living in Cape Town, originally from the US. I love everything to do with space, art, and psychology. Space is a general interest I have had since I was a child. I spend at least an hour reading about space and astronomy everyday, ever since I watched Contact.

I studied psychology and art in college. I had a choice to do a master's in experimental/statistical psychology, but I ended up choosing to follow less academic design-based path.

I joined this forum because I like the idea of a place where people can talk about far out, futuristic ideas without people getting bored. I prefer forums to social media, because people in forums seem to talk about things in greater depth. Its like being in a Roman forum with philosophers, as opposed to being in a busy town square.

Forgive me if my avatar is blank- the picture system doesn't seem to load it at the moment. 

I recently started a little blog called contemplationplanet.com as an outlet for the spacey and psychological things I think about all day. Basically, I want to combine space with a people and healing vibe, rather than only a technical, scientific point of view (without being too conspiracy theory or New Agey either). I'm giving it a 90s vibe, because the 90s appeal to me for some reason. (Don't worry, I will not spam post any articles here. I am here just for warming up my creative energy and replying to interesting conversations).

Anyway, I love this site and the sense of curiosity about the future and our potential. Lots of people who are willing to look at the future and what lies ahead, rather than just getting stuck in the past. Look forward to participating in many interesting discussions. 

• wjfox, TheComrade and Unity like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Welcome.  I look forward to hearing more from you.  A very interesting introduction.

• Contemplation_Planet likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Welcome x i love die antwoord! X
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

Terminally Lazy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Hi.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Validating
  • 5,940 posts

Welcome.

As We Rise

As We Rise

On and off and on and off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Saint Elon was from South Africa too.
  • wjfox, Jakob, Erowind and 1 other like this
Completely redpilled.

CoolGuy23

CoolGuy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Hello!

Just out of curiosity, as another American who is considering South Africa as a future career destination, do you know anything about the amount of work in investment banking in Johannesburg? And any tips on the culture of South Africa as opposed to the USA?

May We All get to grow up in a Red, White, and Blue little town!

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
Great intro. Welcome

Contemplation_Planet

Contemplation_Planet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello!

Just out of curiosity, as another American who is considering South Africa as a future career destination, do you know anything about the amount of work in investment banking in Johannesburg? And any tips on the culture of South Africa as opposed to the USA?

I'm no expert in investment banking. But Johannesburg is the big economic and business hub, while I get the sense Cape Town is more entrepreneurial and innovative.  I'm no expert on South Africa either because I wasn't fully brought up here. But what I do know is that if you have dollars and spend Rand, some things are more affordable (at least in terms of housing, but not cars- for example, there are many amazing country houses in Cape Town that would cost a ton more if they were in the US).

South African culture is more walled off than in the USA. More people have walls around their homes because of the high crime rate. There are different cultural vibes based on where you live. Johannesburg is more fast paced than the rest of the country. I lived there for a while and I was happy, but my perspective was a child's perspective so I'm not sure how things have changed.

Cape Town is more laid back and country. Compared to the US there are fewer big chain businesses (ex. there is Woolworths). But much of it has a nice local vibe. Things to do include safari, going to beaches (Durban is warm- Cape Town is cold water), hiking in the mountains, staying at country farms, and visiting historical monuments.

If you have children, there are some good American International schools in both Cape Town and Johanessburg. People (at least in Cape Town) tend to be a bit hard to get to know. It takes quite a while to make close friends- may be easier to start out with fellow Americans, expats, or foreigners.

The government is quite corrupt, but things might get a little better the next election.

Overall, I think the beautiful landscapes and places you can stay are the best reason to move to South Africa.

• wjfox likes this

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,155 posts
  • LocationMars, August 9th 2069 C.E.

Welcome to FT.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,282 posts
  • LocationLondon
Nice intro. Welcome to the forum. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: healing, psychology, art, South Africa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users