Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Future of Food

Food CRISPR GMO Gene Modification Agriculture

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Study: More People Will Eat Bugs if They’re Up-Marketed as Luxury Item

Also more people will eat bugs if they are ground into a fine powder (high in protein!) and no bug images are used on any of the packaging. 

Right now I am searching on the internet where I can purchase insects to eat. There is high potential for insects as a protein alternative to the unsustainable meat industry; I am considering and probably will soon begin eating insects. It would be a plus if they were ground into a fine powder but I would not mind consuming them whole. I will report on how this goes and I am interesting to at least try it out. My conception of this currently is that I will feel like one of our ancestors...a varied diet of nuts and seeds (I eat a lot of these), some meat, many fruits and vegetables, and now a healthy load of insects. 

have you checked out: http://www.crunchycr...edible-insects/

once you have a sense of what and how to eat with insects, depending on your region of the world you could likely farm your own supply. Crickets, mealworms, and black soldier fly larva/pupa are all farmable. Though crickets getting out and infesting the building, and black soldier flies complicated mating needs make meal worms the best choice.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Enter Ataraxia

Enter Ataraxia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Location+0° 2′ 46.2″, 179° 56′ 39.4″ 7.9E2+/-420parsecs

have you checked out: http://www.crunchycr...edible-insects/

once you have a sense of what and how to eat with insects, depending on your region of the world you could likely farm your own supply. Crickets, mealworms, and black soldier fly larva/pupa are all farmable. Though crickets getting out and infesting the building, and black soldier flies complicated mating needs make meal worms the best choice.

Hello everyone, hope things are going well. Recently, my insects-for-consumption arrived and I am going to share with you the experience. Also, kjaggard, I have checked out Crunchy Critters, but did not purchase anything from them. Suboptimal research was performed on part; impatience was prevalent and I simply purchased some barbecue grasshoppers from Amazon. Though I intended to buy crickets, I eventually ended up getting grasshoppers. The experience goes as follows: grasshoppers arrive in the student mailroom, I open the container and put one or two in mouth, someone sees me and looks away fast, I walk back to my dorm and eat a few more. Honestly, I have not eaten too many of them because they taste like the smell of rat food, kind of like rotten cellulose matter. There is no semblance of a barbecue flavor but I guess that is okay. The grasshoppers bodies are dehydrated and crunchy. Despite the idea of this making sense, I had the conception that there would be less crunch. Unfortunately, I do not think I will buy grasshoppers again. Perhaps I will get mealworms or crickets, something will more substance and not simply the hollow shell. Anyway, hoped this helped anyone who was considering what a small facet of the future may be like. Have a nice day. 

Kind regards,

Trevor

Preview attachment 1111181019.jpg1111181019.jpg1.2 MB

Preview attachment 1111181019b.jpg1111181019b.jpg1.4 MB

Preview attachment 1111181019a.jpg1111181019a.jpg1.3 MB

"Utopia is the hope that the scattered fragments of good that we come across from time to time in our lives can be put together, one day, to reveal the shape of a new kind of life. The kind of life that yours should have been." - Bostrom

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

Fighting Corporations since 2020

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationNot in Kansas anymore

I've been to Scout Summer camp where they were selling edible crickets(or grasshoppers, I don't remember which).  I just remember them basically tasting like nothing.  It was like a crunchy plain taste.  The weirdest thing was the leg that got stuck in my teeth.

John Lennon dares you to make sense of this

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Food, CRISPR, GMO, Gene Modification, Agriculture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users