Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When will test-tube cloning be possible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC
Hey guys, Guyver here. As of today, the only possible means of successfully creating a cloned organism, i.e Dolly the sheep is to inject a cloned zygote into a surrogate parent and let it gestate until it births like a naturally conceived creature. However, when it comes to cloning extinct creatures such as a Wooly Mammoth by using a modern elephant as a surrogate might not work at the end of the day due to the difference between the two species, which is compatible that between a human and a Gorilla. As a a result, the surrogate parent’s body will reject the cloned zygote.

To be honest, I think the best way tho move around this is to wait until a commonly seen technology in science fiction becomes a reality, that being test-tubes. When do you think it will come into being? Could it be a more efficient way for cloning to become part of normal everyday life? Feel free to explain how you feel about my idea.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationUK

If you are talking about an artificial uterus then we have already done it with lamb fetuses, but this is only from a pretty advanced age of the fetus, which would be about 23 weeks in humans. Growing fetuses entirely in vitro will be a considerably harder challenge, because of the complexity of early stage cellular assembly. I still think we will see some significant developments in animal ectogenesis through the 2020's. Although, I don't think there will be anything much more advanced than the current lamb fetus in humans until 2030. 

Ectogenesis wont just be used for cloning though, in fact quite the contrary. It will be popular for mothers who wish to have children, but don't want to experience the difficulty and health risks of pregnancy. It will further cause less divide in terms of gender inequality, as both parents could truly be equal in terms of raising the child. As this technology emerges it will be met with genetic engineering of the embryo. At first to screen for unwanted genetic and developmental disorders, but then to chose desirable traits. Of course, both ectogenesis and designer babies will be very controversial, especially in the west. So most of the development will likely be in China.

Like you mention, I am most excited about using ectogenesis to resurrect recently extinct species such as the Wooly Mammoth and other megafauna that are extinct due to human interference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users