Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When will we get to drive in self driving cars?

self driving car autonomous vechicle artificial intelligence Tesla driverless Uber future transportation best automaker general motors waymo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

PedeD

PedeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi guys. I'm super interested in AV's (self driving cars), and look immensely forward to the technology being good enough to be publicly available. So much that I have made my very first youtube video ever about the subject.

If you are interested, please watch and let me know what you think :)

When will we have self driving cars?

Cheers

-Peter

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Only I can unabashedly promote myself... if you do it it's just spam... especially since it is your first post.  

• BasilBerylium and PedeD like this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

MikeMoss

MikeMoss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Hi

I don't have a self driving car, but my 2017 Honda CRV EXL does have some elements of that.

Shortly after getting it I demonstrated the car to my nephew, I turned on to a curvy road near my home going south from Cannonsburg MI.

I said to him, "Watch This!" and set the Cruise for 55 Mph and set my feet flat on the floor and took my hands off the wheel.

I did keep my hands close to the wheel, we proceeded down the road at 55 Mph with the car steering around the corners.

About 3 miles down the road a car pulled out of a side road in front of us, the Honda put on the breaks and slowed down then accelerated to keep pace with the car.

It followed the car ahead matching it's speed for another 4 miles or so, until the car ahead reached the stop sign at a T at the end of the road.

The Honda slowed and came to a stop behind the car.  During this period I had not touched any of the controls.

When the car ahead pulled away the Honda started up too, and I had to quickly take control and turn around the right angle corner or zoom across the road and into the ditch.

But it gave me a real feel for what a self driving car would be like, I don't do this normally on secondary roads, as it is really harder to sit there ready to grab the wheel then it is to drive.

Now I use the lane control and auto braking as a reminder on secondary roads but often let it steer and control the speed on expressways though I have to say I always stay alert because I still don't trust it enough to relax. 

But self driving cars are coming.

There was a fatal accident involving a Tesla where the driver was watching a video on his tablet while letting the Tesla drive.

A truck with the rear so high off the road that the Tesla didn't detect it stopped in front of him and he ran into the back of it.

They have updated their system as a result, but I think it will be a long time before I feel comfortable enough to not pay attention when I'm in the driver's seat.

My wife on the other hand doesn't trust it at all and won't use the auto cruise or lane detection at all.

Mike

• Alislaws likes this

PedeD

PedeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Mike

Ya it's a crazy feling right? :D

As I mention in the video, self driving is not quite there yet, expecially not for Tesla and Uber.

I think most people feel like you feel. Autonomous vehicles will really have to prove themselves before becoming mass market.

Cheers

Future historian

Future historian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

waymo plans on having 20000 around 2021

• Alislaws and PedeD like this

As We Rise

As We Rise

Matthew 24:12, NIV

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Technically, we won't be "driving" them.

• Casey, TranscendingGod and Alislaws like this

The reality? There are millions of normal people who are starting to LIKE the idea of fascism BECAUSE there are literal bolsheviks flooding the streets and attacking people. I swear to God, when the Left actually gets the storm they've been preaching about, you won't even see it on the news. The population will just shrink from 330 million to 230 million overnight and nobody will ever speak of it again.

PedeD

PedeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

True, guess the right term would be "ride". English is not my first language :)

MikeMoss

MikeMoss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Hi

I would like to see a car that you can just get  in and tell it where you want to go.

The reason is that I'll be 80 years old in a couple of months, and while I have no impairments when it comes to driving I know that if I live long enough that day will come. 

In fact I'm debating buying a used Sports Car of some kind, or a Camaro or Mustang convertible in addition to the Honda.

I would still like to have something sportier than a Honda SUV.

I had a friend who had his keys taken away when he was 90 and he was furious.

Every time I would talk to him he would rant about having his mobility taken away.

He died when he was 94.

But I have another friend who is in his mid 90s who drives all the time, in fact he just bought a new car.

I will have to say that when I got the CRV it was a real future shock, I hadn't bought a new car for 10 years and that was long enough for all the computer stuff to come into use.

No Key!

Seats Adjust to who's driving!

A big heavy vehicle that gets 27 Mpg!

That's about double what my previous SUV got.

Auto Braking adaptive cruise etc. I still haven't figured out how the door locks work!

I'm never sure that it's really locking the doors when I walk away from it. LOL

It's a whole new world.

Mike

• Casey, rennerpetey and PedeD like this

PedeD

PedeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Mike

Thanks for your feedback. It's really interesting getting a perspective from someone like you :)

I think I can be relatively confident in trying to ease your mind. I definitely do believe you will "see a car that you can just get in and tell it where you want to go".

The reason I say this is in two parts.

1: As mentioned in my video, the self-driving technology is very close to where it needs to be for ride-hailing in cities. Waymo (Google) will start their autonomous taxi service already this year, and many more will follow in the next few years. Also I believe we will start to see a massive ramp up in the coming years, both in the number of taxis available, as well as the number of cites/states/countries you can access them.

2: I can see you are from Michigan, and while I don't know if you are in "the neighborhood", I believe Detroit is in line as one of the early cities to roll out the technology. The reason I say this, is because Michigan now have very open regulation with regards to self driving, and also because GM (who are also a leader in autonomous technology), have their headquarters there, making it a natural selection not too far down the road.

So I honestly believe you will have autonomous taxis in Michigan within a few years, but if you are itching too much, take a plane to California or Phoenix, Arizona some time next year ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: self driving car, autonomous vechicle, artificial intelligence, Tesla, driverless, Uber, future transportation, best automaker, general motors, waymo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users