Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mary Lou Jepsen physics demo of Openwater BCI tech at DLD 2018 New York

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

moderate_ai

moderate_ai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm sorry if I'm slow but I don't understand how OpenWater's device can "write" neural activity. I understand how her device works when it comes to "reading" neural activity. It's still unclear to me.

Does it require genetically modified cells? so that they can be light-sensitive (optogenetics)?

I don't believe it requires genetically modified cells. As far as I know if you heat up the brain cell membrane (with infrared and/or ultrasonic) it will fire, no GM required. I have no idea as to what resolution they expect to hit.

• engram likes this

engram

engram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
 I don't believe it requires genetically modified cells. As far as I know if you heat up the brain cell membrane (with infrared and/or ultrasonic) it will fire, no GM required. I have no idea as to what resolution they expect to hit

Thanks for the reply.

That's sounds simple enough. Hope I can get my hands on the developer kits.

I heard her say it can read and write voxel for voxel. But didn't really state as to how many neurons it can simultaneously read and write. Would be interesting to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users