Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How will society deal with the potential dangers of nanotechnology?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Jax301

Jax301

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey all. As my first post, I'd like to just bring about a topic that has been commonly discussed on this board. I used to be thrilled and fascinated with the prospect of nanotechnology, reading upon all of the ways it will change the world as we know it and all of its capabilities, including the ability for nano-particles to cross the blood-brain barrier, and to immerse one in a VR environment where they can see, touch and smell just like in the real world, but lately, as I began to assess and weigh all of the pros and cons in my head, I've begun to drastically change my views on this and am now starting to believe that we're all just sitting ducks in what can become an experiment gone terribly wrong.

I hate to be the pessimist that ruins the fun (I've never been much of a pessimist anyway) but I've grown to speculate about so many things can go wrong with nanotechnology, especially with the mere fact that malevolent groups out there nowadays utilize whatever technological means that they can get their hands on in this age to carry out heinous attacks. I know a lot of us have heard of the typical nano-tech doomsday scenarios, such as the “grey goo” scenario, but I'd like to focus on things that I haven't really seen a lot of people touch upon. What's to say there won't be unwanted nanobot pop-ups/ads/viruses controlled by someone out there and instead of a pesky pop-up/ad you can only see and hear, it's one you can feel as well? I already, as is, hate dealing with annoying pop ups/ads that if you're not careful and have your device at full volume, can make for quite the jump scare. Imagine all the horrendous sensations that a pop-up/ad you can feel (and even smell or taste) would give you. Also, could the possibility arise for a malevolent group to release a swarm of nanobots that can, by simply inhaling, enter your bloodstream, work their way to your brain and attach themselves and you'd essentially be connected to a simulated reality against your will where they're free to wreak havoc on all of your senses? I mean, talk about the possibility of a hellish scenario that plays out in which you can probably never escape. I mean, by default, I imagine that there would be extensive security measures that comes with nanotechnology but I can't help but think of the fact that there have been people, heck even terrorist group like ISIS, who have hacked whole government websites and major companies. So, as much as I'd like to be for such an innovation, I just can't help but think of the Pandora's box that this can open. Does anyone else here share my sentiments on this? Am I merely overreacting?

sophiewilson0191

sophiewilson0191

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

There are advantage and disadvantages of nanotechnology.

It depend on how to use it.

Refining The Role Of Medical Imaging: Nanotechnology Converts Normally Diagnostic Procedure Into Potential Treatment

Here is and example if nanotechnology is use for medical purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users