So there are a number of factors at play here. Russia stands to benefit economically while Trump's administration is filled with foreign policy warhawks.
President Trump is reneging on a multi-lateral nuclear peace agreement that was agreed upon by the P5 members, Iran, and the European Union - it was a long and arduous process. We know Iran is abiding by the agreement, but President Trump wants to rescind the agreement which will in turn lead to higher oil prices. Oil prices were at their highest point since 2014 due to Trump's rhetoric, fear grew of the United States leaving the deal. Higher oil prices are great for the Russian economy while lower oil prices are terrible for the Russian economy. Current rising oil prices are great for the Russian economy while they face sanctions.
President Trump chose a new National Security Adviser, John Bolton, who is well known for wanting war with Iran.The new Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, has also turned up the anti-Iran rhetoric.
The National Security Adviser is meant to be the mediator between a more diplomatic approach via the State Department and a more forceful approach via the Department of Defense. According to retired army General McCraffey, John Bolton is the worst choice for NSA. We now have former CIA director Pompeo leading the State Department and a warmonger in Bolton as the National Security Adviser dictating foreign policy, our hope rests squarely on the shoulders of the Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis. It doesn't help that Mike Pompeo has ties to islamophobic groups, is a climate change denier, is against equal lgbtq rights and is eager to scrap the Iran nuclear deal. John Bolton wants war with Iran and has an Islamophobia problem himself.
John Bolton is a dangerous man.
He has already begun to reverse General McMaster's changes. I fear we may see the return of some terrifying things in the near future. Most people may not remember the Deep State Memo conspiracy that eventually led to a number of Flynn layovers being forcibly removed from their positions from the NSC.
These people were pushed out for promoting a leftist conspiracy against President Trump. I can't begin to imagine what Bolton has planned, he is a man seeking war. John Bolton is a national security risk.
The memo at the heart of the latest blowup at the National Security Council paints a dark picture of media, academics, the “deep state,” and other enemies allegedly working to subvert U.S. President Donald Trump, according to a copy of the document obtained by Foreign Policy.
The seven-page document, which eventually landed on the president’s desk, precipitated a crisis that led to the departure of several high-level NSC officials tied to former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn. The author of the memo, Rich Higgins, who was in the strategic planning office at the NSC, was among those recently pushed out.
The full memo, dated May 2017, is titled “POTUS & Political Warfare.” It provides a sweeping, if at times conspiratorial, view of what it describes as a multi-pronged attack on the Trump White House.
Trump is being attacked, the memo says, because he represents “an existential threat to cultural Marxist memes that dominate the prevailing cultural narrative.” Those threatened by Trump include “‘deep state’ actors, globalists, bankers, Islamists, and establishment Republicans.”
The memo is part of a broader political struggle inside the White House between current National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster and alt-right operatives with a nationalist worldview who believe the Army general and his crew are subverting the president’s agenda.
John Bolton threatened the family of a former diplomat for negotiating with Saddam Hussein to allow weapons inspectors into the country, the diplomat was going against the Bush administration's rhetoric leading up to the Iraq war. The Brazilian diplomat was the former Director General of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, he was negotiating with Saddam Hussein to allow weapons inspectors to make unannounced visits to Iraq. John Bolton traveled to the OPCW headquarters in the Hague and threatened the Director General's children if he did not quit.
The United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, its top diplomat, has an islamophobia problem and the National Security Adviser who is meant to be the mediator between a diplomatic or forceful foreign policy approach is a warhawk. We have to rely on the Secretary of Defense for a more nuanced foreign policy approach. This is absurd.
1) U.S. State Department - Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
2) Washington Post - What Trump’s decision on Iran nuclear deal means for oil prices
3) Wall Street Journal - Oil Prices Reach Highest Level Since 2014
4) Investopedia - How does the price of oil affect Russia's economy?
5) New York Times - Rising Oil Prices Buoy Russia’s Economy, Despite Sanctions
6) The American Conservative - The Untold Story of John Bolton’s Campaign for War With Iran
7) Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty - Pompeo Arrives in Saudi Arabia, Pushes Hard Line On Iran
8) MSNBC - General McCaffrey: Bolton 'worst choice' for NSA
9) Washington Post - Trump’s would-be secretary of state has an Islamophobia problem
10) New York Times - Pompeo and Bolton Appointments Raise Alarm Over Ties to Anti-Islam Groups
11) Foreign Policy - Here’s the Memo That Blew Up the NSC
12) New York Times - White House Aide Forced Out After Claim of Leftist Conspiracy
13) The Telegraph - ‘If you want peace, prepare for war’: John Bolton sets out strategy as Trump’s new national security adviser
14) Foreign Policy - John Bolton Is a National Security Threat
15) The Intercept - "We know where your kids live": How John Bolton once threatened an International Official
16) Slate - “This Evil Is All Around Us”; Trump’s pick for the CIA, Mike Pompeo, sees foreign policy as a vehicle for holy war.
17) CNN - World wary as Trump turns to hardliners Bolton and Pompeo