Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 Ray Bradbury Science Fiction Dystopian Fiction

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,057 posts

I really hate coming across science fiction movie reviews of films that I have not seen yet.  In this case, I have seen an ealrier movie version and read the book.  So I feel some justification in presenting the review.  I would really be interested in the reactions of any who have seen the new version.   Other comments are also welcome.

HBO’s 'Fahrenheit 451': Bradbury’s Dystopian Nightmare Future is Now Peak Trump Era

https://www.alternet...-peak-trump-era

Introduction:

(Alternet) Director Ramin Bahrani doesn’t have to do much to make Ray Bradbury's cautionary 1953 novel “Fahrenheit 451” scream its familiar warning to 2018 audiences.

Indeed, what was nightmarish speculation for Bradbury 65 years ago is basically our reality now, specifically his idea of television screens the size of walls and a population that medicates its problems.

Many of us will watch Bahrani's cinematic adaptation “Fahrenheit 451,” making its TV debut Saturday at 8 p.m on HBO, on the small screens integrated into our mobile devices. They'll access his film via internet and data connections that make it possible to see it any time, and anywhere.

Technology has more or less made Bradbury’s nightmare all but a fait accompli. We should thank our stars that we're not heating our homes with the innards of public libraries at this point.

Among Bradbury’s best known stories, “Fahrenheit 451” seems well-suited for a high-end cinematic treatment by master of blockbusters, someone of Steven Spielberg’s or Ridley Scott’s caliber. 

180428150426-hbo-fahrenheit-451-super-te

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

I'm interested in seeing how it presents another of the social themes of the book - that everyone is easily offended and so it creates an atmosphere of anti-intellectualism where the people themselves banned books.

My view on that is that people who easily get offended at things like bigotry (racism, sexism, transphobia etc) have their hearts in the right place, but lack the ability to express themselves coherently and something should be done about that because otherwise they just look like screeching, out-of-control SJews.

Bradbury had this theme in a lot of his work and always tended to portray it as "oh, they just don't like to think for themselves and so they're just anti-intellectual."

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
There is a flip-side to people getting offended:

Some liberals and progressives like to defend conservatives and "ordinary folk" against criticism. They don't like to see liberal intellectuals pick apart the average conservative, just as they don't like to see conversatives stereotype the poor and minorities -- or argue that those stereotypes are accurate. They seem to want everybody to be "nice", and not hurt anybody's feelings.

So, for example, if you dash the hopes and dreams of a country bumpkin libertarian with a "natural experiment" or well-known bit of theory, that disproves their cherished beliefs, then what you have done is considered "not nice" or even "mean" -- it's better to be gentle, and let them continue to believe what they believe.

If liberals ever do gain absolute power through technology, rural conservatives have nothing to fear -- liberals will construct for them a perfect little snow-globe town to live in, where they can continue to live out their lives as they see fit. They'll even sprinkle in a few annoying liberals to get worked-up over, and give their lives meaning.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,724 posts

If liberals ever do gain absolute power through technology, rural conservatives have nothing to fear -- liberals will construct for them a perfect little snow-globe town for them to live in, where they can continue to live out their beliefs as they see fit. They'll even sprinkle in a few annoying liberals to get worked-up over, and give their lives meaning.

Hang on, incoming transmission from 2469:

*In the Eyes of an Angel plays*

"The proud and ancient native tribespeople of Southern Appalachia are critically endangered and in desperate need of your help. We ask you to take only a minute of your time to donate to the Appalachian Nature Reserve so they can preserve their traditional way of life, and we will send you an authentic Confederate Flag water bottle cozy to express your support for our cause. Donate or sponsor an Appalachian child today. Please... they need you."

>>>DONATE<<<

>>>SPONSOR<<<

>>>PURCHASE GENE THERAPY TO REVERSE INBREEDING<<<

• Erowind and starspawn0 like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

otherwise they just look like screeching, out-of-control SJews.

I'm not sure I understand this term. I'm sure it's not an attempt at an antisemitic term like it looks. could you elaborate on it's meaning.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,724 posts

Oh, that's just the way SJW is pronounced phonetically so I point it out. It also calls attention to the potential bigotry of someone who uses this term unironically, which gets their goat a bit. Essjew

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

i loved the book as a kid. looking forward to this. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury, Science Fiction, Dystopian Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users